Felted Hook Handles

diamond

I saw this post earlier today - bookmarked the sight - then came back here and thought "Gee, I'm bored - I could try one right now..."

So, I ran and grabbed a bit of the beautiful roving Deneen gifted me awhile back, and one of my *several* H hooks... stopped by the bathroom and grabbed my peppermint Dr Bronner's [they recomment using olive oil soap for low lather]... and set out to work...

I couldn't find super glue so I just coated the handle of the hook in clear nail polish before I wrapped the first bit of roving around it... It worked just fine. I used only the smallest amount of roving to do this handle - and if I had more colors I could see getting totally intricate and fabulous with these. As it is - it was really easy and once I stopped being scared to really rub at it the stuff felted up beautifully. We didn't have any Ziplocks around tho, and that would've been a plus cuz i leaked pepperminty water all over the kitchen. Oops!!

It's drying right now, and all these wonderful subtle red and gold hues are coming out of the roving. Gorgeous!! Thanks for the link, Cheryl!!

th_100_0772.jpg

th_100_0769.jpg

Great idea!! I have aunts who are older and the hooks bother their hands and wrists because of arthritis....So I think one each for xmas is on order!! And that site is great thanks!!

Natalie, It's something with my laptop or Firefox, it's been going on for quite some time now. Hubby and I have checked everything we can find to check, we've researched and so far have yet to figure it out. I can see some pics but not others, sometimes I can see them through bloglines but when I go directly to the blog I can't see 'em. It's weird and annoying.

On a positive note, I played with some rovings and one of my G hooks last night and I am quite impresed! I'll try to get a decent pic later today, it's too dark right now and I just woke up. I've got to run errands today, so I think I'll take the hook and some yarn along with me for the bus ride so I can see how I like it once it's in use =) It looks pretty good though!

Well, I took the hook along for the ride and worked on a kid sized hat, which I nearly finished. I'd say about 80 minutes or so of crochet time.

I love it! I definately need to make a couple of adjustments. The wool went a bit to far up the hook so I'm going to have to take a bit off so my yarn has more room to move, I was using sc mostly so it was ok, but I could hardly fit a double stitch on there. I also need to even it out a bit, the bottom bit is skinnier than the rest so it looks odd to me.

As far as the comfort, it is awesome! I might make it a bit fatter since I need to add to the bottom anyway, but honestly, I love it. I definately plan to do this with a few other hooks!

Here's the pic (best I could do on this cloudy day)

feltedcrochethook9iz.jpg

I used a small handful of the pretty green roving I was RAOK'd with early this year. It looks much nicer in person than in this crappy pic lol.

More handles:

feltedhooks4nj.jpg

I'm not happy with that blue and green one yet. I'd meant for it to have bits of the four colors I dyed last night showing, but it didn't work out that way so I'm going to play a bit more with it tomorow and cover the red bits up and give it a bit more rubbing. The purple one also needs more work... but the center one is finished now and I love it =) I can see me buying an entire set of hooks just so I can felt 'em all up rofl.

I didn't actually time it, I just rubbed and rolled the thing around in my hands till it felt right lol. A couple of them I have gone back the day after and done a bit more wetting and rubbing. I do have to say, after doing three of them my hands are complaining just a bit, but not too bad.

I gave this a shot yesterday and discovered that I just do not have the patience for it! LOL I wound up giving up and scraping off what I had done and cleaning off my hook. I only used clear nail polish since I have no super glue or anything at the moment so thankfully it wasn't difficult to clean off! I may try it again sometime if I get really bored and have time to kill though.

Archived