Do You Know Who Van Gogh Was?

Do you know who Van Gogh was?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know who Van Gogh was?

• Yes
    • No

Hmmmm.... ok I got it..... Van Gogh "Honk Honk"

Car go "beep beep" heh

However, if you have no "Monet" to buy "Degas", you'd have a hard time making the "Van Gogh" at all.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Seriously? Someone thought the general public/crocheters wouldn't know who Van Gogh was (some of us even know the Dutch way to pronounce it!)? I know schools have had to cut funding for the arts programs, but just look a the lines when his works go on tour, or the widespread publicity when one sells for tens of millions of dollars (or, he shows up as a character on Dr. Who--now if that's not the pinnacle of public cultural appreciation, I don't know what is).

A modern, living painter? Sure, people might not recognize the name. But one of the most famous painters of all time??? Was it just that he didn't know who Van Gogh was and had to google him?

Jimbo, you are too funny!

I love Vincent, his art was passionate in the brush strokes. I have Starry Night as my cell phone cover. 60 Minutes did a special on him and his disorder that psychologists may have diagnosed it and he probably did not kill himself. I would like to know more.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes! I learned who he was when I was in 2nd grade art class- public school is rural Ohio. Which was around the exact time I started to crochet! The very interesting thing about my story is that Van Gogh has always been my favorite, ever since that 2nd grade art class. I always loved stars, so I was entranced by Starry Night. ♥

What I find amazing is that not only do some people do not know who Van Gough was, but they are no longer reading the classics in school.

I asked a friend's daughter how she liked reading Romeo and Juliet, Silas Marnor (sp?) and Jane Ayer.  I got the deer in the headlights look.  She told me they don't read these and she was in the College prep classes.

Pittiful :ohdear 

Archived