Crocheting w/ Thread

Good Evening Fellow Crochethers :hook!

I need to see if anyone might have some pointers on working with crochet thread. I had tried to work w/ it awhile back but I have a hard time seeing the stitches with the hooks that it requires to work with. I would love to use it but I just can't wrap my brain around using in it. If anyone should have any suggestions what I might make with it that would be fantastic!

You can always use another hook other than the recommended hook. And until you get use to using thread, I personally recommend using #10 crochet cotton, rather than #20 or #30 (which are thinner.) If you use #10, average recommended hook size is 7, but try a 6, 5 or even 4...just to practice with, if nothing else.

While crocheting with thread almost requires tighter tension, I wouldn't worry about that until you feel comfortable working with with the thread and hook...loose is not necessarily a bad thing. I tend to work a bit loose myself, and with crocheting with thread I have to work to make the tension tighter...still, I like how my things turn out and so do other people...

I don't know if any of this will help, but that's what I have to offer...you might want to give a shout out to Katchkan ('cause she IS the thread queen when it comes down to it...but I'm trying to get to her level some day...)

I love using thread it is my medium of choice. Always has been and always will be.

If vision is the problem there isn't too much others can do to make it easier except to recommend using light colored thread. The darker colors will make it harder to see.

You can try starting out with one of the larger threads like size 3 thread. Reduce down to a size 5 thread and then on down to a 10. There are smaller sizes yet, but size 10 seems to be the most common size used.

I always recommend using the best quality thread when learning as it makes it easier. Also that you have the right size hook for the size thread you are using.

I also recommend doing a pattern you already know. Even a granny square done in thread will help you learn the feel of thread.

Just relax and don't try and make your tension to tight. If you want tighter tension change hook sizes. Don't grip the thread or the hook too hard. It only makes crocheting tough, It should be just as easy and enjoyable as yarn. For me it's more enjoyable to be honest.

I wish you the best of luck on this endeaver.

I love using thread it is my medium of choice. Always has been and always will.

If vision is the problem there isn't too much others can do to make it easier except to recommend using light colored thread. The darker colors will make it harder to see.

You can try starting out with one of the larger threads like size 3 thread. Reduce down to a size 5 thread and then on down to a 10. There are smaller sizes yet, but size 10 seems to be the most common size used.

I always recommend using the best quality thread when learning as it makes it easier. Also that you have the right size hook for the size thread you are using.

I also recommend doing a pattern you already know. Even a granny square done in thread will help you learn the feel of thread.

Just relax and don't try and make you tension to tight. If you want tighter tension change hook sizes. Don't grip the thread or the hook too hard. It only makes crocheting tough, It should be just as easy and enjoyable as yarn. For me it's more enjoyable to be honest.

I wish you the best of luck on this endeaver.

Amen...I knew you'd give good advice...

I can work in both yarn and thread. But it wasn't always so. Took me about 7 years of trying on and off. Thread just doesn't "forgive" the way yarn does. But with practice (and experience), you'll find that it's a delightful medium to be able to use.

There are magnifying craft lights available, this one is just an example....

You can get them in table light, floor light and one with clamps to be attached to any work surface. I like the ones with the magnifier and the light on seperate goose necks, so you can use either or both when needed.

http://www.ottlite.com/p-338-led-dual-magnifier-lamp.aspx

Great question...and great answers! That's why I love Crochetville!

I love to do thread crocthet, especially for doll clothes. I have found tha if I put a cushion on the steel hook it makes it a lot easier to hold the hook. I get the blue foam hook hlolders that is sold at Hobby Lobby or sometimes you can find them on Annie's Attic. They sure are a blessing on my fingers.

I've crocheted a little bit of thread, but I mostly use yarn.

My advice would be to slowly start working with thinner and thinner yarns, smaller and smaller hooks. Eventually you'll be able to start working with thicker threads and larger steal hooks and eventually get down to the size you are desiring. Gradually work down to working with thread or cord - it just takes time.

Archived