Sugar and Creme vs. Peaches and Creme

Dub Trance

I decided on a lovely pre summer day yesterday here in Oregon that I was going to go on a quest for cotton yarn.

Armed with a fistful of coupons for Joann's, I came away disappointed. The two different stores I hit were of course disappointing, as I was really hoping to score some big skeins of Bernat Handicrafter yarn like I did last spring/summer and neither store carry them in store at the moment (online of course on their website but you can only use one coupon, but I am ALL about instant gratification when it comes to my yarn manias which hit...on a daily basis it seems and I clip those coupons like an addict) They NEVER seem to carry a large selection of 100% cotton yarns in their stores, and it also varies in selection per store. So I always try and scoop up as much Sugar and Creme in as many cool colours as I possibly can, especially when I have the coupons to use as they're about 3.00 a pop at Joann. So I bought what I could find that I wanted from Joann and left somewhat bummed.

I was thrilled when I happened to go to Walmart (don't tell anyone!) and went to their yarn section and to my ultimate happiness, Peaches and Creme was carried there in the little skeins like S&C and to my ultimate joy...they had big cones of cotton in the same brand too and I of course went bananas. The skeins and cones were about 1/2 the price they were at Joann even with coupons I used at Joann. :cheer:clap

Now, I know that the cotton is US grown and both companies produce the yarn in Canada, one being a Canadian (Peaches) company the other here in the US (Sugar) Now I noticed identical colour schemes between the two lines and what not and the quality seems to be the same, Peaches and Creme was just cheaper in price at Walmart.

Is it just a different label ya think or is there really a difference in the quality and product. Any ideas?

I have found that I have really enjoyed working on cotton and making dishcloths as they work up quick and I'd be hard pressed to find a friend who turns down a dish/washcloth...any ideas on other chain stores not necessarily Joann or Michaels or craft centric, but variety stores like Walmart that carry a nice selection at good prices? :hook I know I should buckle down and start buying some stuff online, but like I said I have the patience of a 1 year old...and when it comes to my yarn stash and growing it, I just love the satisfaction of buying it on the spot and working with it immediately.

Does anyone else who likes working with cotton feel the same way when they hit their craft shops? A zillion acrylic or wool blends but not a good cotton selection, or have I become a maniacal crocheter? (probably). I emailed Joann and requested a larger selection, do you think they listen to their customers?

Hope you all are having a fabulous pre summer wherever you may be :)

Actually Peaches and Cream was bought by Sugar and Cream. The PNC now has only the same colors as SNC. It is the same company.

Peaches and Cream use to have a lot of colors that the other companies did not have, like a halloween that was orange, white and black verigated. They had bright colors like lime green. You want baby blue or baby pink, they had it. This company use to be based in NC. They were my first choice because of the colors and combo of colors that no one else carried. They also had thread to match the cotton yarn. Oh and they had an 8 ply cotton yarn. The thread was carried under the name of America's Best.

A little while ago, I e-mailed them to ask if we would be seeing PNC colors again, and was told, that in order to be competative with other companies, they had to discontinue a lot of colors.

So what happened was they took the SNC colors and put a PNC label on them.:think

I bought a lot of the older Peaches & Creme when they had the warehouse sale a few months ago, and I noticed the quality of it is much better than the "new" Peaches & Creme. A lot of the newer P & C is coarser and splits more. But what I really don't like is Lily upholding the illusion that P & C is S 'N C's competitor.

Does anyone else who likes working with cotton feel the same way when they hit their craft shops? A zillion acrylic or wool blends but not a good cotton selection, or have I become a maniacal crocheter? (probably).

:lol I wish there was a zillion acrylic or wool blends. Those aisles seemed to have shrunk alot. And cotton is practically non existant...

whether worsted cotton or thread.

As for P&C or S&C, I find the P&C quality has deminished alot. Used to be I could only find S&C around here, but P&C showed up at this Walmart recently also. Unfortunately, although I loved the colorway, as stated before it seemed threadier and not as densely twisted as before.

I don't know if Joanne's will listen, I think it is all about the $$$$....and if it isn't selling enough to keep stock holders happy, and manufacturing costs keep rising, it's anyone's guess.....:think

:manyheart I luv America's Best....

I just bought some Peaches and creme cotton yarn at Walmart! (I live in a city where there are walmarts in every neighborhood!!!)

I want to crochet some dishcloths, I saw my hubby cleaning his shoes with one of the kitchen dishcloths :eek:faint

maybe he wont use the ones I crochet :tryme

anyways, walmart had some pretty yellow and green cotton yarn! and the price is great! :hook

Good information to know. Thank you all. I've been wondering about this very thing.

I use the PC or the SC for kitchen dishcloths, but I absolutely love "I Love This Cotton" availabe at Hobby Lobby. It seems to be the softest cotton around, and comes in a wide varity of colors not seen in the other two. I use it for facial washcloths and scrubbies. It's a joy to work with. Skeins are larger also (a tab bit more pricey, but well worth it, especially for items of a personal nature.)

I used to prefer PNC but now I don't see much difference. I've pretty much changed over to Bernat Handicrafter. I just like the way it feels better.

BTW, Joanns is having 30% off all yarn right now with free shipping over $40. You may have to wait for it to get there but this is one of my favorite 'stock up sales' that they offer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just picked back up with using cotton yarn for small projects since I know that with my shop blankets don’t really sell this time of year. So with that being said I am also looking for great deals and fun and funky colors. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the I Love this cotton however I find that I have to use a smaller hook which in turn takes longer and we all love to finish things fast. I usually bundle two solid colors using this yarn with a large hook and just adore the washcloths that I make out of it.

DEAL ALERT :)

As for dish cloths I have been using the S&C however for all you deal lovers I found that hobby lobby carries a 3 ball value pack which for the one that I purchased came with a bright pink solid, a variegated pink and then the color psychedelic which are super fun colors. The pack contains a total of 38 oz (12 each for the variegated and 14 for the solid) and with the 40% coupon this week all of it came down to 18 bucks (26.99 normal price) ... so some simple math says that’s an average like .50 an oz or only a dollar for the usual small skein. GREAT DEAL! Right now they also have a pack with two solids (blue and yellow) and then 1 variegated... so by oz that would be even cheaper. Here is the link for online sales however they always seem to have more in the store. I have also searched high and low for it other places, and HL seems to be the only place that carries it packaged this way.

I haven't used the P&C but I will have to check out walmart. Over all though I agree, cotton doesn't seem to have the best selections however i really suggest trying the I love this cotton if you are looking for something softer then the P&C or the S&C.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=170627

Using a 40%-off coupon, the other day I bought a big 14-ounce skein of Bernat Handicrafter in a pretty, summery green at Joann's. Having always used Peaches 'n Cream or Sugar 'n Cream, I was pleasantly surprised at how much softer and easier the Bernat is to crochet with. It glides off the hook so much more smoothly that a placemat got done easily in an evening. I like the results with the slightly firmer coarser texture of Lily, but prefer working with the softer cotton, so I'll probably start using it more.

My biggest complaint is colors. There aren't many interesting solid colors to begin with, and the slim pickings in stores are frustrating. I noticed at the Bernat site that there are more variegateds than solids in Handicrafter, and I don't use variegs much. Moreover, in either brand and at any store, I find the color selection is terribly slim and hit-or-miss. Sometimes it's months before I'll find a large skein or spool of plain ecru cotton at any of the local stores -- and there are lots of craft storesand Walmarts in my area.

I was going to say I too, like Afghaniac, tried the Handicrafter cotton yarn when I saw the large skeins in the yummy colors. I bought one when I had a 60% off coupon and made a kitchen set. Love the summer colors.

I have just picked back up with using cotton yarn for small projects since I know that with my shop blankets don’t really sell this time of year. So with that being said I am also looking for great deals and fun and funky colors. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the I Love this cotton however I find that I have to use a smaller hook which in turn takes longer and we all love to finish things fast. I usually bundle two solid colors using this yarn with a large hook and just adore the washcloths that I make out of it.

DEAL ALERT :)

As for dish cloths I have been using the S&C however for all you deal lovers I found that hobby lobby carries a 3 ball value pack which for the one that I purchased came with a bright pink solid, a variegated pink and then the color psychedelic which are super fun colors. The pack contains a total of 38 oz (12 each for the variegated and 14 for the solid) and with the 40% coupon this week all of it came down to 18 bucks (26.99 normal price) ... so some simple math says that’s an average like .50 an oz or only a dollar for the usual small skein. GREAT DEAL! Right now they also have a pack with two solids (blue and yellow) and then 1 variegated... so by oz that would be even cheaper. Here is the link for online sales however they always seem to have more in the store. I have also searched high and low for it other places, and HL seems to be the only place that carries it packaged this way.

I haven't used the P&C but I will have to check out walmart. Over all though I agree, cotton doesn't seem to have the best selections however i really suggest trying the I love this cotton if you are looking for something softer then the P&C or the S&C.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=170627

Thanks so much! I wish we had a Hobby Lobby in Portland, Oregon where I live (we have a Tiffany and Co...but no Hobby Lobby? I call that anarchy of GLOBAL proportions! :P). I love ordering stuff online too, but I turn into a 5 year old anxious for the day a package arrives for an order...which helps nothing when I am on a roll and wanting something that very instant, especially yarn! :D But I will check out the Hobby Lobby website and follow your suggestions! Thanks so much...

And on a lighter note, just hit a Joann in a small town I am visiting right now and the end of aisle displays had some big Bernat skeins on sale so I of course bought up as much as I could find...this yarn addiction and acquiring of it :manyheart is sure a lot of fun. So I was really happy to find the skeins...but as usual, they were on sale so I couldn't use a coupon (I swear it is a conspiracy, it seems like every time I have coupons Joann has beat me to the punch for when I want something!).

Archived