2012 Wip-Busters

basjordan

How soon temptation rears its head! I finally, at last, found the new RHSS Wildflower - it has all my favorite colors and is much prettier than the Red Heart web page thumbnail swatch led me to expect. From the skein, it looks like it may be a more striped when it works up than I will like, but I'm hoping not. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll finish all the actual projects in my list first - I'm trying to be a grown up about this with at least a little self-discipline - but I may cave in and start a round ripple with it concurrently with the scraps. Maybe not do the whole thing, but just start to test the new yarn. Here's hoping I have winner. If it works, I may actually, for the first time in probably 40 years, keep an afghan for myself!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New yarn in RHSS! Wildflower sounds lovely. I may go and just "see" what it looks like. I haven't worked on anything since Sunday. I really need to finish what I have already started. However, it can't hurt to just look at some yarn now can it?:devil

New yarn in RHSS! Wildflower sounds lovely. I may go and just "see" what it looks like. I haven't worked on anything since Sunday. I really need to finish what I have already started. However, it can't hurt to just look at some yarn now can it?:devil

Road trip!!! OK, so it's almost within walking distance, but still...

Here's the link to the new yarn: http://www.redheart.com/yarn/super-saver-economy/wildflower The colors are soft and pretty. It has a little more green than shows in the swatch. I think RHSS Suede Blue, also a newish color, will be good with it. I hope so - that's my new favorite blue. I'm thinking a round ripple. :clap

I'm dropping the scraps from my by-year's-end list. I hadn't thought that through. That's a perfect project to bring to work, so I'll start on them after the holidays.

Meanwhile for my list, I got all the quick things done. Also a scarf that I didn't list because I only had a few inches to go and ran out of yarn. So I changed the patterns and redid it. And ran out of yarn again. Changed the pattern again and finally squeaked by with about 12" left. This is why I don't like "bespoke" work. I had to make that blessed scarf three times! With yarn I didn't like to begin with. :angry

Lapghans:

1. Wine red/gray round ripple DONE

2. White/green/blue/purple round ripple

3. Multi-color scrap granny lapghan

4. Purple granny lapghan

Must do special request projects:

1. Navy hat DONE

2. Charcoal hat DONE

3. Red scarf DONE

I didn't keep track of all the Christmas presents I made, but they are all done. I also finished the octagonal afghan I was working on. Currently, my only WIP is the laceweight shawl, but I'm going to start something new. I will be trying to make myself a sweater. And I should probably go through all my yarn bags before I say I'm done with all my wips...

I finished up one of the three afghans I had left to do this year. However, I've started another WIP - a tree skirt for the library Christmas tree. I think I can still easily finish the other two by the end of the year though, and I will be starting fresh!

Donna, that's awesome!!! What pattern and colors are you doing for the library Christmas tree? Congrats on finishing another WIP. I actually started two more. I decided to make a Mickey Mouse hat for a friend's child, made the ears too small, so I decided to use them for a toddler's Mickey Mouse hat. Now I need to make one hat, and fix another set of ears. (I already made the bigger ones, but they are too floppy.)

This is the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/7-hour-tree-skirt

I'm using RHSS burgundy from stash. I started to buy an ILTY ivory with gold thread, that would have been beautiful, but on consideration the tree is dark with some gold glittery ornaments but a lot of dark red, unlighted because of facility regulations, and in a rather dark part of the entrance. I was afraid that all you would see was the white tree skirt, so I went with the dark red. Besides, I spent enough money this month!

Seven hour seems a little of an exaggeration, but then I was working on it in the Honda service waiting room in an uncomfortable chair, awkwardly trying to hold everything and read the pattern, so it was going a lot slower than it would have at home. I'm as far as the first two inner sections, but I'm thinking of frogging it and starting over with a J hook instead of an I. It seems pretty dense and stiff. The burgundy is one of the thicker SS colors, at least what I'm using is. It's been in the stash quite a while and the newer production may be a little thinner/softer. I'm finding that's happening with a number of my SS colors.

I abandoned that tree skirt pattern - it was so wide at the top, I thought it wouldn't look good on the tree, so I'm just using one of the patterns that adapts a round ripple.

I finished the purple afghan. Here are the last two I finished. The RR has green, blue and purple, but the blue and purple look alike in the photo.

post-39480-13589779162_thumb.jpg

post-39480-135897791622_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Donna, those are beautiful! I love the round ripple. Where did you get the pattern?

This is the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/foxs-daisy-round-ripple-14-points

I've modified the center, taking off the points of the "petals." I only do it what way if I'm making a baby afghan and really want it to look like a flower. Without that row it's more of just a medallion in the middle. It's my favorite pattern - I've used it over and over. I also like her 20 point round ripple. It's not as "pointy."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Woohoo! Cross-stitch is so time intensive! Way to go, you!

Thanks, for the shout out.  I am still working on the needlepoint and the seashell  cross stitch.  I forgot about another cross stitch I had started over 3 years ago.  I am working on a baby blanket as well.  I just had to post i finished that wedding sampler, 2 and a half years is a long time..  I am not sure if I will post when i finish the other projects. 

• 3 months later...

I finished the needlepoint and baby blanket.  I guess the only thing on my list is the seashell cross stitch.,,,and maybe the cross stitch I had forgotten when i started the wedding sampler. 

Did anyone ever start a 2013 WIP Busters CAL? I quickly looked through the list, but didn't see one. I stopped crocheting at the end of the year but have started again, and always have so many things going at once that I enjoyed having this thread for an incentive to finish projects in a timely way. If there's any interest, I would start the thread.

Archived