2012 Wip-Busters

basjordan

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the puppy! What fun! Picture?

I've been working on the two new baby afghans for my co-worker. I got one of those finished, and about a third of the second. I want to get that one finished this week. Then I can seriously get back to the WIPs. I'll be glad. I chose what I wanted to do on those. I'm just not in the mood for this second round ripple, but I've got to keep chugging away on it.

My husband got this one: the day we brought her home was the little guy's 22 month birthday exactly, and we thought this was a great birthday month picture!

She is a German shepherd, probably purebred according to most of the people who've met her who have experience with GSDs, and probably 6-7 months old according to the vet when we had her in last week.

She was found running stray around my grandmother's farm; she'd been seen there for about a week by the time we got up for the holiday weekend, they told us. Saturday night one of my cousins gave her some scraps because we all couldn't stand seeing her run around hungry - then once we got a closer look at her it became clear she was starving. You could see all her ribs and her hipbones. :( We were all set to send her to another couple, but we spent a lot of time with her on Sunday and were both getting really upset at the thought of leaving her... when she jumped into our car at the last minute and refused to leave, we caved in and decided all right, we'll give it a try. We can always bring her back out to the first couple if we can't manage.

Let's see. We (my family) all assumed she was abandoned at first, because people dump cats out there all the time, and she had no collar and was so thin. :angry But once we got to know her more we realised that somebody's already put quite a bit of work into training her, so we're not sure. No microchip though, and the local police and SPCA both said no one had reported any lost dogs like her, so if there is an owner out there we don't really have any way left to track them down.

It's going to be a lot of work, keeping her exercised and getting her trained, but she is SUCH a sweetie, and she seems very intelligent. And our little boy likes her more and more every day (he loves having a pet around who will let him pet her! after over a year, the cat doesn't have much patience left for small child mauling so he tends to disappear quickly :D).

Ok, I'm getting tired, so no more writings. Just look at the pretty picture! :lol

post-62070-135897777297_thumb.jpg

Finished the scarf. Started an afghan. I need to get it done in less than 2 weeks to give to a friend. My other WIPs will just have to wait. It is a corner to corner. Red Heart Dark Sage and Carron taupe. I am not sure how big to make it.

Not much done for me lately. My entrelac scarf has stalled since the puppy shredded the needles and a few of the stitches at the beginning of the tier I'm on now. My fault for leaving it on the floor, really. The idea that wooden needles + wool yarn = puppy magnet is pretty much a no-brainer.... But I had a splitting sick headache and wasn't thinking much at all.

I did finish one of the quilt blocks I started two weeks ago, and could be done with another one (I'm debating doing some embroidery on that one, but it doesn't need it, so I'll just see if I have time at the end). So for that quilt (which has a Christmas deadline now) I have 3 of 6 star blocks done and 3 of 6 picture blocks done. I guess I would be halfway! ...except two of the 6 picture blocks still need designing.

And I did work a little bit on my super-secret crochet project, which makes me feel a little better since I'd been hoping I could do that one in just a weekend. Ha ha.

I got the two baby afghans for my co-worker finished! :clap

I can finally get back to my WIPs. Next up, I think, is a lapghan made with RHSS cornmeal, gold, and burgundy. I never much liked the cornmeal yellow, but these sort of fell together on the floor when I was "playing yarn" and I thought "Hmmmm. Not bad." It's actually turning out quite nice, so I'm anxious to get back to it.

Also, I found the ILTY Pistache for one of the WIPs, but WHERE did I put the WIP? Anyway, when I really looked at the two skeins of the pistache, I'm not sure the dye lot is close enough. I bought them at different times. So I'm dropping that one from the WIP list. When I finally find it, I'll frog it. Better to lose a little than do a lot and decide then that the yarn doesn't match! That still leaves 11, more than enough for the rest of this year.

I did 3 skeins of green on the afghan. I just finished half of it. I had really wanted to have it done today to give to a friend. Not going to happen. Oh, well maybe next week.

I'm making dog sweaters with a santa theme (and elf for the second one) for my sister's doxies for Christmas. I have the first one most of the way done. I don't have a small dog -- my puppy is half german-shepherd, and couldn't fit her head through this sweater. So I am not sure about the fit, but it goes on a Build-a-Bear very nicely. I'm really happy with how it turned out, particularly since I didn't really follow a pattern. My husband suggested I try it on one of our cats, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough.

Beth - dressing the cat? Have your DH take pics! He needs to be there anyway so he can drive you to the ER when you're finished.

I was So Close to being finished with the cornmeal lapghan before I had to leave for work this afternoon. I hate that. I only had part of the final row of sc on the border. Oh, and all the tails to weave in....

I can probably finish it tonight or in the morning.

Donna, that's precisely why I'm not trying it on the cat. It was hard enough to put on the stuffed lamb! Congrats on the progress on your lapghan. I understand about the ends -- they can seem to take forever. I hope you can tell us you are finished soon! :cheer

Argh, ddc! I might have considered being late in order to finish up the last row... (But then, while my job has timesheets, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I was fifteen minutes late either.) I think you can count it as being done once you have all the crocheting done - I have a blanket we've been using for *years* now that I never did get all the ends woven in on!

I just wanted to pop on and say I worked on one of my deadline projects last night! Started the spots on the egg for my cross-stitch project! Yay! :clap And I did complete the barn square for my farm quilt last week, and it was a BIG hit with my almost-two year old (you can lift up the fabric flap that makes the barn door to see horses underneath). :cheer May have to do something similar for him now....

I also frogged my scarf back to the previous tier... kind of the opposite of progress, but on the other hand I had to do it to be able to continue with it, so what are you gonna do?

Viking Runner, It is kind of sad when going backwards is making progress, but I've been there. Some times, that really speeds things up, getting over that hump.

ddc - How goes progress on the afghans?

I finished one part of a Christmas present. I have so much more to do. I need to go yarn shopping. :devil

I did finish up the cornmeal lapghan, but don't have a pic yet. Eventually. In the meanwhile, a friend needed a baby afghan for a shower coming up soon, so I made that over the last few days. Then my yarn winder came and so right now I'm just playing around in my stash.

And the philosophical conundrum of the day -- how long does a new project have to sit abandoned to slip into WIP status? Not so long ago I started an afghan for a co-worker, then suggested an alternate color, and we did that. And another she wanted. And then the cornmeal lapghan, and then the new baby afghan I just finished. By now, though it hasn't been long, the reject feels like a WIP, sitting there in a bucket staring at me accusingly. I think I'll boot it to the WIP list and finish it next. It's not a favorite, I would just like to go on and get it out of the way.

I've done enough on it that I really don't want to frog it. It's a RR in pink, white, and turquoise. I think if I add some green I'll be more reconciled to it, and it will be a good Project Linus afghan for the hospital or for the abused children's center at another local hospital. Also, I ended up with tons of one of the pinks and it will move a little more of it out of the stash.

I finished the afghan for the friend. I started a new one for another friend. Then today on Lion Brand I saw a pattern for a Child's hooded cardigan. My Grand daughter is just turning one, The pattern is for age 2. So, i guess I will put that in my pile on want to do, just not right now.

I will sent a picture of the afghan as soon as I can get my IT gal over here. My IT guy can't figure it out.

Beth - You're right of course. I just always think of WIPs as those things that I started and then laid aside for one reason or another, usually for at least several months. They're my guilty conscience projects, though a lot of the ones in my signature list were pattern tests for the Olympics CAL, so no guilt there at least.

Actually, as things just begun and finished, from the beginning of August, the time frame in my signature, there were also the four Olympics CAL lapghans and the two RRs I made for my coworker. I don't always work at that frantic pace. It's just that I was an idiot to challenge myself to so many for the CAL, though I managed to churn through them (fortunately without quite swearing off crochet forever by the end), and the baby blankets all had deadlines.

My iT gal came by today and showed me how to do this. Thanks IT gal.:)

You're welcome! What the photo doesn't show is how BIG it is! It was 5 x 6 feet, at least. Beautiful afghan! I'm so glad I got to see it in person.

Archived