2012 Wip-Busters

basjordan

I love that you didn't make the stripes reflect on both sides of the main diagonal! I probably would have made it symmetrical, just to make the planning easier, but I think the design has a lot more interest this way. :clap

The sad thing is, I might well have planned symmetrically while knowing full well that asymmetry would have more energy!

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love that you didn't make the stripes reflect on both sides of the main diagonal! I probably would have made it symmetrical, just to make the planning easier, but I think the design has a lot more interest this way. :clap

The sad thing is, I might well have planned symmetrically while knowing full well that asymmetry would have more energy!

I normaly would drive myself crazy tryinging to make it symmetrical. I have been told it makes the afghan quite boring. So, I had to work at it beening more organic. :lol It is 60 inches by 77 inches.

I am almost halfway done with the next one. I am having a tough time planning the asymmetrical look. As well as trying to not have to go out and buy more yarn. I have lots of tan, so this one will have more tan and less green and burgandy than I would like.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you have smaller stripes and lots of them, symmetrical wouldn't be boring. But with the bigger stripes, the eye can make out the individual stripes better so asymmetrical becomes more vibrant. It's like our high school art teacher said, if you're dealing with a small enough group that you can count with a glance, odd numbers are more interesting (like 7 or 5 will make a more pleasing grouping than 6). But once you get high enough that you can't count with a glance, the eye can't tell if there's 20 or 21 items there, so who cares? :)

Anybody else exhausted? I was out of work four days with bronchitis last week, and up for an hour in the middle of the night with a sick puppy. On the plus side, I made some good progress on my cross-stitch project! Don't know if I'll have it done by the November 3 deadline, but I at least have a chance, I think! I'd like to try to post an in-progress picture; maybe I'll get a chance tonight.

(I'm trying to do all the "edge" bits so all I have to do to finish is fill in solid blocks of color, if that makes sense... I designed this thing with way too many 3/4 and 1/4 stitches, and have to do a lot of interpreting as I go because some areas are too crowded in the design!)

Sorry you ae sick VikingRunner Girl. I hope you feel better. I just got back from my crochet meeting . I finisihed the afghan there. I started another one. I hadn't meant to start it. but I finished the other one and had time to kill while visiting. so, I can't mark off a WIP but I can mark off a finished project. I had planned to start making something for my GD. This afghan I am making won't take as long, maybe a couple of weeks.

Beth, that looks great! the washing machine just stopped and I have to put the afghan in the dryer. I must remember to take a picture before giving it away tonight. I think I will need my IT girl.

I finally dealt with most of my oldest WIPS. I frogged those suckers and put the yarn back in the stash. Actually most were just pattern trials so there wasn't much done on them, and I just decided to clean the slate the FAST way. I kept one of them that I still want to do. Eventually.

Meanwhile, I am almost finished with a RR. It has been sitting there three days now lacking only one round and an edge round, probably just a round of sc because I just want to be done with it. So Close. And I can't make myself pick it up and finish it. I've played truly dumb, totally time wasting, computer games - matching tiles, popping silly Chuzzles, shooting pretty colored balls - for three nights rather do that last row. How ridiculous is that? Tonight I think I'll go grocery shopping after work. That's even more desperate avoidance :rofl

I started it for my coworker in white, pink, turquoise, then she decided she liked a green instead of turquoise with the pinks better. So I did that for her, and now I'm trying to finish up the original one, adding some green to it too. I think it just feels like I've already made it and it's just not fair that I'm making it again. I want to do something new! I have started another, but really, I will finish this one. I will. I will.

I finally dealt with most of my oldest WIPS. I frogged those suckers and put the yarn back in the stash. Actually most were just pattern trials so there wasn't much done on them, and I just decided to clean the slate the FAST way. I kept one of them that I still want to do. Eventually.

Meanwhile, I am almost finished with a RR. It has been sitting there three days now lacking only one round and an edge round, probably just a round of sc because I just want to be done with it. So Close. And I can't make myself pick it up and finish it. I've played truly dumb, totally time wasting, computer games - matching tiles, popping silly Chuzzles, shooting pretty colored balls - for three nights rather do that last row. How ridiculous is that? Tonight I think I'll go grocery shopping after work. That's even more desperate avoidance :rofl

I started it for my coworker in white, pink, turquoise, then she decided she liked a green instead of turquoise with the pinks better. So I did that for her, and now I'm trying to finish up the original one, adding some green to it too. I think it just feels like I've already made it and it's just not fair that I'm making it again. I want to do something new! I have started another, but really, I will finish this one. I will. I will.

I think you can, I think you can!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished a scarf and I almost started a new one to show my MIL how to use this type of yarn. I pulled it out and rewoun the ball. So, I finished somthing and didn't start something new. Only two more months to finish my WIPs by the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

Cat peed on the blanket I was working on. I am taking it off my WIP list as it now in the trash. I need to revisit mylist anyway. I think I have finished some stuff and not logged in.

I went back and relooked at my projects and what I have logged in. I did do some projects I didn't log in , so I won't count them in my finished section. i still have 4 to finish, 2 cross stitch, 1 needlepoint and the sweater for my Grand daughter. i don't seem to be making any progress on getting my WIPs done, because I keep starting new ones. Three of the 4 are ones I had going at the begining of the year.

I worked on the cross stich for my son's wedding that was over 2years ago. Any way, it is very slow progress, I am doing back stitch now and after almost 2 hours only had about 2inches done. I do miss crochet!!!! I am afraid to start something new because I know I will abandon the crossstich. My dh is still working on the plastic button I will cover with crochet for the sweater. I want to sent the sweater to my grand daughter for Christmas.

Yeah I have put aside my cross stitching to doing crocheting for xmas gifts. The previous years I have always cross stitched something as a gift but decided to do something different. I have a big one I'm working on for myself that has been sitting for nearly 6 months now...can't wait until I have time to work on it again.

I haven't been posting here, but I intend to wipe out all the WIPs by the end of year. (Grits teeth and mutters "I will do it. I will do it!) Some I have finished off, some I have abandoned and frogged to reclaim the yarn. What I have left:

Laghans:

1. Wine red/gray round ripple

2. White/green/blue/purple round ripple

3. Multi-color scrap granny lapghan

4. Purple granny lapghan (I'm bored senseless by this one)

Must do special request projects:

1. Navy hat

2. Charcoal hat

3. Red scarf

Stash control project:

1. Squares from all the variegated scraps

2. Squares or hexagons from all the earth tone scraps

3. Squares from all the rest of the colors

The scraps I'm trying to marshall into usefulness are all the RHSS and RH Classic scraps. They were getting out of control. The quantity of other brands are still quite manageable, so I'll live with those in peace for another year.

I'll only have a computer until the 16th, so I'll update until then. Then I'm off until Jan 2, which is what's giving me confidence I can do all this. The hats and scarves should be done in the next few days, and the wine/gray lapghan just needs all the ends woven in. But... there are a LOT of scraps :P.

:cheer Go! Go! :cheer

Go, Donna, GO!!! You can do it!!! I have one more scarf to finish for Christmas presents, then I will concentrate on my hexagon afghan. I pretty much quit counting how many projects I've done this year, but I am happy with my progress.

I do totals for the Boxing Day CAL, though I haven't posted much there this year. That, with the three by order baby blankets means I have done more this year than ever before. This thread pushed to think about what I had going, finish up some and chuck the rest. I'm doing six hat/scarf sets by order (a barter arrangement), which is really something new for me. Well, not exactly scarves, but these are the first hats ever. I'm just not interested in making wearables, but this is for a friend and I'm getting three apartment cleanings for it. She works, I play. Sounded like a deal to me, and all but a little of it was from stash.

If I get through this, at least the actual lapghans, I'll be starting the new year with a CLEAN SLATE!

I am going to try hard next year to have fewer projects in hand. I may end up making more lapghans with squares, partly because I'll have a bunch in the bank if I crochet all the scraps, and partly because that's easy to bring to work. Not long ago the Director gave me official thumbs up permission to crochet while I'm at the circulation desk. :woo

Glad you can crochet at the circulation desk. I am sure it must get boring sometimes.

I did finish the sweather for my grand daughter.

I now only have 3 WIPs!!!!!!!!!

Archived