Silly Mistakes!

Oh my! too many to name...but my first ripple came out sooo crooked, before I knew it, it was an at an angle. My sister still has it, every time I see it, I cringe...it was a beginnger project.

hugs n squishes!

If I had to pick just one crochet mistake it would be......

I had not crocheted for many years, setting the hobby aside for painting instead.... But when my grandson came along, I wanted to crochet him an afghan. It had been so long, that I was very out of practice on keeping my tension consistent and I think I might have been missing the last stitch when I made my turns. The result was a lopsided baby afghan for my first (and so far only) grandson! I gave it to him, or his parents really, as they knew I was working on it. But it was an embarrassment for me. I used some wonderfully soft baby yarn though, so at least it was soft! I have made him two more since then just to try to get past that first dreadful crooked baby-ghan. Thankfully the next two (Wow, Wow Wubzy and a Spiderman afghan) turned out just right!

Most didn't even notice it, but I did! I know what the mistake was so that made it even more obvious to me. I'm sure it didn't make one bit of difference to him. All he cared about was warm and soft. :) I kept telling myself these things but I was still relieved when it got packed away!

It didn't take any time at all to get back to nice consistent crocheting but I should have made a quick scarf or something to get my mojo back before making such an important heirloom!

I could tell you another .... the afghan that never was.... for my first son .... but since it's meager beginnings were carefully tucked away in a box and never shown to anyone, I don't consider it a mistake, just a false start or experiment without a successful end result. :)

There are hundreds of others along the way but those are the ones that stick in my head the most. It is fine to mess up something for myself or the craft sale but NOT for my children or grandchildren. ;) They deserve the best my hook can make!

Last year for my friend I crocheted her a scarf and hat set for Christmas, and I think my gauge was off (or she just does not know how to wear a slouchy hat lol) but the hat was two sizes too big. We all still get a laugh out of that. Oh and I remember when I first tried crocheting in the round, man I had some serious troubles there.

When I made my first doily, I was fairly inexperienced at reading patterns. It turned out lovely, but my count was off and I made 12 repeats instead of 11. It didn't seem to affect the shape, nor did it ruffle, (it's round), but it has 13 scallops instead of 12.:think

LOL, when I very first learned to crochet, I made one of those giant granny square afghans for my mother. It wasn't till a couple of years later that I realized I had somehow gotten off right in the middle and had two centers instead of one! It was such a strange error I'm not sure I could repeat it now but once I saw it, that afghan and its memory has bothered me ever since. :lol

I just fixed one this morning. Thankfully it was on something done in motifs. But I was blocking the piece and realized I had attached a point wrong. Through the whole piece off. So I snipped out the offending motif and made another and attached it without unpinning if from the blocking board, Then I get to the other end and found I had done the same thing. So I again snipped it out, but this time I also snipped a connecting point on another motif. So yes I snipped it out too and re did it also. So I re did three motifs total while sitting on the floor. Moving me instead of the piece to get to the right angles to work the motifs in. Thankfully my sense of the ridiculous kicked in and I just laughed the whole thing off.

By the Way. The piece is now perfect and lovely..... Yeah!

I think I'm just getting to the place that I appreciate my mistakes. I made a scarf for a friend in sc- SC, mind you! and did one row through the back loops only. ! why??????! I can blame my MS, but I think its something else, maybe an acknowledgement that I'm NOT perfect. About time, at 58, to see that!

My very first afghan was one done with 2 strands in 4 different colors. It was for my son and his fiance.

It started off with the correct amount of stitches. By the time I was done it was 30 short and very crooked. I was so mad at myself but learned the need to count stitches lol.

The afghan was still very pretty even if not straight. They still have it and use it every day.

And make fun of it everytime they see me.

The very first granny afghan I made was orange, gold, brown and avocado green.. just to give you an idea about how long ago it was. I bought it as a kit from Leewards. It hung around for years, to my horror, eventually becoming the dog's bed.

Anyway, I taught myself how to do these squares from a book soon after I learned to crochet. I made a pile of centers in orange, then added on the second rows of gold to them all, then did all the third rows, then the fourth. By the third row, I realized I was going to run out of yarn, and needed to order a lot more for that final row of brown.

I thought my identical squares would look a lot nice than the medley of colors used in the pattern directions, never thinking those teeny centers were only using a small bit of yarn called for compared to the outer rows. (It took me years to use up that darn leftover orange yarn...lol.)

That's not the worse part of this fiasco... I didn't know there was a right and wrong side to double crochet, so added the outer rows as I picked them out of my project bag, some I added to the front, some were added to the reverse side. When it came time to sew them together, I realized the mistake I had made. I ended up making the outside row determine which side to have facing up as I sewed it together. (It didn't make much difference, as the between rows were so haphazard...yikes!!)

That crazy afghan was made out of that awful polyester yarn from the early seventies... it would never die, no matter what we did to it. It was used by the kids in the yard, on the garage floor for projects, used as a moving blanket to wrap around furniture, the kids used it for tents and sleepovers... nothing would kill it, it always washed and dried beautifully.

I don't think anyone else ever noticed the mistakes, eventually I stopped seeing them too, that old blanket was loved and used for more than 30 years.

Archived