First Craft Show

Hi Everyone,

Well, I took the leap and am going to be in my first craft show on November 5. And 3 more after that. Oh my!

I mainly have baby items. Hats, sweaters, and booties. I have some adult hats and scarves. Hot pads. And a few Christmas items.

I have a baby doll to display baby things, and a couple of wig heads for the hats and scarves.

Any suggestions on how to dress the table? Should I use a table cloth? Is it Ok to use an item to give my table a second layer so that I actually make use of the air above my table?

Thanks Trudy

I have made my labels for fiber content and washing instructions. But, do they need to go on things that are not clothing?

Any suggestions on how to dress the table? Should I use a table cloth? Is it Ok to use an item to give my table a second layer so that I actually make use of the air above my table?

Yes. People are drawn to the prettiest and neatest looking tables. It's their first impression of you and your work. A simple table cloth works wonders. Some kind of stand or shelf is a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I used flat twin sheets for my tables (they were long enough to hide the front of the table). You can store additional items under the table and no one could see them (if you have a small booth space). They are easy to pack up and also easy to wash. Good luck with your craft booth!

Using a second shelf is a good idea. If you have time, walk around the craft show and look at other booths and see how they are done. We learned a lot from other crafters that had been in the business for a long time.

Hope it all goes well for you.

I would suggest finding some sturdy cardboard boxes and some pretty fabric that would completely hide the boxes, turning them upside down on your table and using that for taking up "air space." I also think that a mirror would be a good addition, so that ladies could try on the beautiful hats and scarves that you have created.

Good luck on your shows...hope you "sell out."

As already answered, yes -- definitely cover your table and store extra merchandise and boxes underneath. I encourage you to make other levels on your table by covering boxes and totes with more of the same table covering you are using. Sheets do work fine, or you may want to see what fabrics are going cheap at the fabric store. I prefer solid, neutral colors for the table coverings. I had mine made. I actually traded painted pieces for the sewing after I bought the fabric. :) Barter is good! Then I had lots of scraps left over to cover things to make differing heights at my table. I actually had some small plastic shelving that came apart and I put them in two shelf units across the back of my table to add quite a bit of display area! Another idea for crochet display is to put a board under the covering, propped up at one end so it slants with the tallest end furthest away. It allows things towards the back to be seen more easily. You can even frame some wire fencing material (they make a nice green with tiny grid) then you can hang things from it. Just put two together for an L shape at each front corner of your space. Works well for potholders! Nice to have something that goes a little high. That makes it easy to find you again when people decide to come back and buy what they had seen earlier. ;) Even a couple of helium balloons tied to a table corner will do the trick!

Sams Club has good prices on those thin plastic T-shirt bags. If you buy one bundle of them, they seem to last forever! I also brought some of those small lunch sacks -- try to find the white ones. You can print your company name & info on them! They work fine for small items like dishcloths, ornaments, even a hat. Be sure to have plenty of change!

Just some ideas to use if you like or pass if you'd rather not. :) Good luck! Have a great show!

In my case can I just add, NEVER take your children along as "little helpers!" My son unfortunately had to come with me on my last one as he was too ill to go swimming with his siblings, and he undersold items, he was constantly adjusting the table and if people picked things up to look at he practically took it from their hands as they were returning it to "arrange" it!!! Then when he heard someone say my things were overpriced (which they arent lol!) he loudly complained to me about what the lady had said!!! I was actually relieved when his dad picked him up and I got some peace! My kids are very proud and overprotective about my crochet but this day he took it to the extreme lol!

I also wanted to say I take a variety of things in different price brackets as not everyone has the money to buy higher priced items so this year I have lower priced things like bookmarks, keyrings and bracelets as well as amigurumi, hats, blankets and bags which cost slightly more from me. And I agree with all the above comments, table cloths, lots of change, and I also put the table fee separate so I know I have it to hand and available if needed as there is nothing worse than scrambling around to get it together and I try to pay it upfront to get it out of the way. Sorry for my rambling and I hope you sell loads and are really successful with all your craft shows! Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week, I saw some Craft Fairs around and its hosted at a church. I thought it was interesting. When I have 100s of items available, I might give a fair a try to see how it goes.

Archived