Crocheting is....fun!

I am very new to crochet. I was taught by my mom years ago how to do the basics, but never went very far, and recently have found this urge to get back into it. I always thought it was boring and something only old people do. Well, here I am, 34, and LOVING my new hobby!!

There are so many patterns and fun things to make. I have a project waiting in the wings, the mail is very slow in bringing my wool order in. I ordered it on September 27, and here we are October 8th and it's just arrived in Vancouver from Illinois. Hopefully it will arrive here in the next day or two, but with Monday being a holiday here, I will be impressed if I see it by next weekend.

So...in the meantime, I needed to keep crocheting to get better. I am making a holder for my plastic grocery bags. I recycle most of them but like to keep a handful around for carting lunches etc around in. I bought some blue Loops and Threads Impeccable from Michaels and dug in this morning. I am not in love with this yarn, but seeing how I don't know the difference in them, it is a good learning experience. I just can't believe how much fun I am having sitting and crocheting! I always wondered how mom could sit there and crochet for hours, now I know!! Its addictive and a productive way to spend the evenings when we are just watching TV. I learned 2 new stitches and have mastered crocheting behind another stitch. Being able to see the project develop as I go is so very cool!! I could have just gone and bought a holder, but making it myself is so much better; a great feeling of accomplishment lol.

Anyways, just needed to share with other people with the same passion! No one else in my family does crochet so I have no one to get advice from, I love this website lol. Thanks for reading :)

Rachel

I feel the same way!! I learned when I was young as well but never did anything with it. I'm 26 now and a couple years ago I decided to start up again and I'm literally obsessed now :lol I'm never NOT working on at least one project :cheer

I too, learned when I was young. I stayed 2 weeks with my grandma one summer and she taught me to make a doily. I never did another thing until I had my first child and i tried to remember with mixed results. Then I started again about 16 yeas after that. I stuck with it this time and bought some books to learn. I still credit grandma with teaching me and planting the seed so I'd pick it up again some day. I hope the seeds I planted with my granddaughters will do the same. :)

Welcome to the 'Ville! I continue to learn here from so many experienced and gifted people!

Well apparently I have much to learn because I just ripped out my entire project because I was doing the stitch wrong. I was almost halfway done. I am so mad at myself for not double checking. So now I have to start all over. Oh well, on the bright side, I just learned a very valuable lesson LOL

Well apparently I have much to learn because I just ripped out my entire project because I was doing the stitch wrong. I was almost halfway done. I am so mad at myself for not double checking. So now I have to start all over. Oh well, on the bright side, I just learned a very valuable lesson LOL

It won't be the last time you pull a project out and start over. I do it all the time and have been crocheting for 42 years. Welcome to the wonderful world of creating fun and useful things. So glad you connected to the 'ville :D.

How I wish you had posted before you did that!

Once you get the basics down crochet is so much more about personal preference than following patterns exactly. You could've finished what you were doing and it would've been a one of a kind original to you. That is so heartbreaking to hear. We've all done it - or something similar.

This place is AWESOME! The people are great! So many are ready and willing to jump in and help. You won't always get the same advice from everyone that posts and that's one of the great things about crochet- you can pick and choose what you want to do and move forward from there.

I didn't learn as a kid, but decided a few years ago I wanted to learn to make doll's clothes and toys for my younger relatives. It has been SO much fun and I wish I had learned as a child. My Aunt was kind enough to show me the basics and even gave me her Aunt's crochet hooks to get me started.

How I wish you had posted before you did that!

Once you get the basics down crochet is so much more about personal preference than following patterns exactly. You could've finished what you were doing and it would've been a one of a kind original to you. That is so heartbreaking to hear. We've all done it - or something similar.

It's okay, it was a pretty major boo boo - it started out with 40 sc and somehow I had managed to add 5 sc in so I was at 45 and it was becoming lopsided. Plus, I was doing the (ahem...clears throat...embarrased lol) sc wrong. LOL The most basic stitch and I did it wrong, I was adding an extra yo when I should have been just pulling through two loops. Oops...live and learn right?

I started again this morning after a good night sleep and already, 4 rows back in it is already looking better than what I had yesterday.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone, it makes the oopsies much better :clap

Happy Thankgiving to all my fellow Canadian crocheters :manyheart

I didn't learn as a kid, but decided a few years ago I wanted to learn to make doll's clothes and toys for my younger relatives. It has been SO much fun and I wish I had learned as a child. My Aunt was kind enough to show me the basics and even gave me her Aunt's crochet hooks to get me started.

Yes, my aunt made doll clothes too. I have several pieces she made in my china cabinet. My mom made these cute pillows, it was a doll wearing a dress like those old victorian dresses, but the flowing dress part became a pillow. I think I still have one. I will have to make a display one day of all the stuff they made and post it. They have both passed on, but they left me some beautiful keepsakes :)

Yes, my aunt made doll clothes too. I have several pieces she made in my china cabinet. My mom made these cute pillows, it was a doll wearing a dress like those old victorian dresses, but the flowing dress part became a pillow. I think I still have one. I will have to make a display one day of all the stuff they made and post it. They have both passed on, but they left me some beautiful keepsakes :)

My niece dressed all her dolls from her Barbies to her 18" in their Halloween crocheted costumes I sent her when the box came. I am working on the Pilgrim outfits for the ones that didn't get them last year. Skipper and Chelsea are musts as they didn't get any. However, there are more Barbie's and Kelly dolls to be dressed now, too. She has one of the American Girl dolls that was her Mom's and a couple of the imitations I bought her that I have to get dressed for the holiday as well.:lol:lol The boys get stuffed ami's and other toys. I just finished a set of Pilgrim finger puppets to go in the box.

It sounds like you were doing U.K. stitches and the pattern might have been in U.S.A. stitches. There's a chart somewhere here that explains it. I always check to see where the pattern was printed just to be sure.

Ellie 13

Archived