First Crochet Project

Just wondering if any of you here were able to....give away, use or sell your very first project. I am making my very first blanket for a baby due in November. I just taught myself 2 weeks ago and I started on the blanket this week. I chose a beginner pattern with squares. I thought that the squares would be easier because if I messed something up I wouldn't mess up the whole blanket.

I've done about 3 squares so far and I am getting the hang of it. The 3rd one looks better than the first one. I am just wondering if I will be too critical of myself and not like it in the end.

What was your very first project like?

I made a twin size blanket. I used dc and did it in two colors. I didn't know much about weaving in ends or changing colors back then so needless to say there are a lot of knots! The edging (crab stitch) has held all that together very well! I also had trouble putting the same number of stitches in each row :lol so it has a bit of a wave to it. I use it mainly for making my couch look better now but I'm very happy I still have it!

I learned to crochet in girl scouts some 30+ years ago. My mom STILL has the first thing I ever made - a granny square afghan. It's in a hideous verigated green with a white edging (can't imagine what I was thinking but hey I was 13). She still uses it - it's on one of the beds in the guest bedroom and I can see lots of mistakes NOW LOL

My first project was an afghan for my son, eleven years ago.

It is striped-three shades of blue, single crochet and the edges are sooo uneven!!! I was thinking of putting a border around it to make it look a little better, but I think I will leave it as is! :D

we still have it, everyone uses it. :manyheart

I learned when I was 9 years old by doing 2 granny squares. They came out ok and i made a pillow out of them. But after that I was self taught :eek and my second project (an afghan for my bed ) is still unfinished and stored in my basement. I pull it out every now and then to remember how much I learned about my stitch size and tension ( it starts out a full size and about a third of the way is up to a queen size :blush ). But like I said I was very young. Now thirty plus years later I often wonder why I havent tossed it. :shrug

My absolute first crochet project I ever worked on was, believe it or not, an afghan for my 5th & 6th grade teacher (the school I went to at the time, the teacher oversaw both grades since there were only 15 students allowed in each grade). My first ever project all on my own was a granny square for my mother, complete with clashing inner colors with the classic black outer & piecing together. It looks a lot like the one on the back of the couch in Roseanne :D

My first project was a baby afghan for my firstborn. I still have it. It's all coming apart from the centers (I wove the ends in for about a half inch). I keep telling myself that eventually I'll remake the entire thing, but for now, I just think of it as one of those ancient heirloom blankets from 100 years ago that are all delicate and tattered... but still precious!

Congratulations and WELCOME to the wonderful world of Crochet!!:cheer My very first project was a KING size granny square blanket..:crocheting I was taught to make the basic granny and I was so excited, that I continued making squares until I had crochet a blanket.:whew My husband got orders for Germany and I did not take the blanket with me..then it disappeared from the storage where I left it. It made me very sad to loose it. :( My second project and FIRST with crochet thread was a doily!!:hook Got hooked on making doilies and I still have it!! and will NEVER give it away!! The doily is now 36 years old!! and still looks good!! :manyheart

I would keep your first project. It will be quite a memory reminder in years to come. I'd love to have my first project! It was a doily. I made the same doily over and over when I went to stay with my grandma for 2 weeks one summer. She would have me rip it out and start over until she pronounced it perfect and I felt so proud! I did not crochet again for years when I was pregnant with my first son. I have that attempt. I made lots of squares and managed to connect them into rows but they were so off in tension, they look terrible. I still have it (37 years later) and laugh every time I run across it. I decided after trying hard on that afghan I needed to reteach myself and I got some books. The next project I made looked a lot better and I still have it too although it needs some repair. Yes, I'd keep your first afghan! I am a keeper though (which is starting to be a problem) and if you are not -- you could make a gift of it to someone close (then you would still get to see it).

I don't have my very first project still, I don't even remember what it was. I learned at a very young age. Most likely it was a long scarf type object.

But I do still have a granny square that I started when I was 11 and living in Ireland. Every so often I take a look at it and laugh. It's actually done fairly well for being 24 years old now. Still holding together, nothing has come apart. But...it's a mix of sport weight, baby weight, worsted weight... so it looks very odd! Thin, thick, so many different colors.

Archived