Stitching my way through Norway...

:clap:clap I'm leaving at the end of the month for about three weeks in Norway. The only yarn that I know that's made in Norway is the "Dale of Norway" line. Anyone know any others?

Also, has anyone flown internationally recently with your crochet supplies? Just wondering whether I should invest in plastic or wood hooks to take on the planes, and what kind of instrument I should bring for cutting... I assume that a scissor is a no-go. I'll be flying a few different airlines, as well as getting on and off trains throughout the country while I'm there.

Hallo! Oh how lucky for you!... I am unfamiliar with the yarns of Norway, but am interested in learning more about them, since I am part Norwegian. I would be careful NOT to invest a lot of money in expensive crochet supplies (if possible) since each airline you will be on may have different rules and might take them from you and "Hva gjor du?" (what do you do?). I have not travelled internationally in many years. However, there was a similar discussion on Crochetville not long ago about this very thing. Here it is...

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130395

Best of luck to you & have a wonderful and safe trip! :)

Thanks, Tracey! That thread was helpful. I guess I'll be packing dental floss and small scissors. If they take the scissors, I'll use the floss. Hopefully, they'll let me keep my hooks?? (Luckily, I just bought a mess of hooks for $2 at a garage sale, so I now have several G's, H's, and I's.) But it's going to be a long flight if they take my hooks!

I've never had crochet hooks bothered, either (carrying them with pens/pencils is a good idea), but I am careful never to fly with hooks I'd be bothered about losing--and I don't take the small, steel ones.

You won't necessarily find just Norwegian yarn for sale in Norway--perhaps other Scandinavian yarns (Drops?), as well as German, Spanish, or British products. Sounds like fun! (We are planning a 25th anniversary Norwegian fjord cruise in a few years).

I just traveled this past weekend within the USA. I took crochet hooks, embroidery hoop (metal with plastic ring), sewing needles and a small pair of blunt tip scissors less than four inches long and was not questioned once. I looked at the TSA guidelines before I left about the scissors and it said that less than four inches long were now allowed. I agree with other - don't take anything you care about losing.

Thanks, everyone. I'm now planning to bring small blunt-tip scissors as well as dental floss. Never would have thought of the dental floss on my own. :hug What a great idea. I know that I can have the scissors on a domestic flight if they're less than 4", but I'm more worried about the international ones.

I just envision myself getting stopped at the security check in Amsterdam and having them take my aluminum hooks. Then me pulling an acrylic one out and saying, "How about this one?" and then a rosewood one, "Or this one?" :hook

I know this may be outdated info, but in 2004 we flew from California to Belgium with a connection in Chicago. I had cross-stitch supplies with me (this was during the Great Crochet Hiatus), including round-nose small scissors. The scissors were in my drawstring sewing bag in a briefcase.

Leaving the U.S.: At SFO (San Francisco). Deciding that up-front and open would be my policy, I TOLD the security man that I was carrying scissors which, according to the TSA printout (which I had in my hand), "seemed" to be permitted. He asked me where, precisely, the scissors were. I told him, and he took them out to look. He said that, yes, they were legal, put them back into the little bag, and that was that. I said "thank you," and we continued through security toward our flight.

Coming back: At Zaventem (Brussels' airport), I also declared my scissors in the bag in the briefcase, and the security agent thanked me and declared them safe for flight. However, during the flight, one of the flight attendants did a full double-take when she saw me stitching away with the scissors (on a ribbon) hanging around my neck. I invited her, quite openly, to come and look at them, and told her that the security agent had inspected them for himself. When she saw how small they were and that they had rounded tips, she relaxed quite a bit. *whew* But she was stressed for a minute there, poor lady, esp. since I always wear a head covering--scarf, crocheted hat, whatever--and DH has a beard, holdover from "hippie" days.

DCM

I have taken scissors on both domestic and international flights as long as the blades are less then 6". I have traveled to Bahamas and Panama as well as most of the Continental US.

I have also been able to take a variety of crochet hooks including afghan hooks and knitting needles.

:yay

I just envision myself getting stopped at the security check in Amsterdam and having them take my aluminum hooks. Then me pulling an acrylic one out and saying, "How about this one?" and then a rosewood one, "Or this one?" :hook

I'm sorry, but this part of your reply made me chuckle. ;)

When traveling, I usually buy a cheap pair of rounded kid scissors. They are just sharp enough to cut the yarn and that's it. I spend less than a dollar. And if they got taken away, it's no big deal.

Also, just carry enough hooks in your carry-on bag just to get you through your project. Don't bring your whole stash. And put a few in your checked luggage, just in case of loss, taken away, etc.

But I've never had a problem. Good luck and have a good trip.

:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

Hats, purses, baby clothes are all small enough for travel. I worked on a baby blanket when I traveled to Mexico. Glad I had it. 6 hour flight delay! My husband slept and I kept on crocheting.

:manyheart

Archived