My secret obsession!

I have a secret to tell....I am obsessed with unraveling sweaters for the yarn! I have been doing this for a while now, but lately it seems to be getting out of hand! Everywhere I go I see sweaters that I can recycle! Here are the last 2 sweaters I unraveled:

post-2360-135897693184_thumb.jpg

The red yarn is a Banana Republic wool blend, and the yellow yarn is an Eddie Bauer 100% wool.

And here are the next 3 sweaters I'm going to unravel!

post-2360-135897693191_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures!

This group over at Ravelry hasn't helped me control my new obsession either! Or this group!

I usually go for 100% wool or a blend with wool. I felt a lot, so it is way cheaper to buy a sweater and unravel it! After you've unraveled a few sweaters, you know what to look for with the seams. Here is a good tutorial on how to do it....if anyone else wants to join my obsession! LOL!

That looks interesting :) Sadly, my mother is allergic to wool (not sure about blends though), and I don't do any felting so its not a big deal for me with that. Sounds like fun though because I love to frog stuff :D

this is why I stay away from the sweaters at Goodwill, bc I've done that before and it can be totally habit forming LOL

I need to start doing this myself. Would save a lot of money and if I start with a box of sweaters just taking up space in my closet, it will also clear out some room! Thanks -- even if it does become obsessive. ;)

I often buy things at flee markets and charity sales to unravel. It can be yarn, beads or beading materials.

Quite a lot of the metals in my jewelry is recycled, and old metal parts are generally of so much better quality than the new stuff.

You know, I've read about people doing this, but haven't tried it yet myself. But those colors you have are gorgeous! What have you made with your secret finds?

I have made some felted bags, hats, mittens. I have donated most of the things I made. I work for an auction hall and we auction off items where the proceeds go to hospice several times a year, so I usually donate crochet and knit items for that.

I have to confess, I went to Salvation Army today and came home with 2 more 100% wool sweaters! See, I told you I was obsessed! LOL Luckily I only spent $6 for both sweaters....

Archived