Pam's Comfort Cables CAL

nicolep

I think several of us have purchased this pattern:

http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Pam’s_Comfort_Cables_Crochet_Afghan__D11064220.html

For those of you that have (or will), do you want to crochet-along with me? Pretty please! :flower I even gave you a flower as an incentive! :lol

Now, isn't Memorial Day weekend a great time to start something like this afghan? A lot of us have three entire days off work. :eek Crazy, right?!? We'll be able to get one heckuva head start.

I absolutely love making crocheted cables. I'm simply not good enough at knitting to make cables look decent that way.

Well I'm not very good at crocheted cables but I loved the squares so much that I bought the pattern! I have a busy weekend planned but would love to join you! I'm currently working on an afghan but I'm kind of bored with it and this would give me something else to work on for awhile. So....count me in!!! :cheer

is each square a different cable stitch? or are there a few duplicate? I love the look but I'm scared of cables. Is it an easy read pattern?

Well I'm not very good at crocheted cables but I loved the squares so much that I bought the pattern! I have a busy weekend planned but would love to join you! I'm currently working on an afghan but I'm kind of bored with it and this would give me something else to work on for awhile. So....count me in!!! :cheer

You can do it! I'll be here to help!! :clap

is each square a different cable stitch? or are there a few duplicate? I love the look but I'm scared of cables. Is it an easy read pattern?

Really, there's no reason to be afraid of cables. They really aren't difficult. Crocheted cables are all made pretty much the same way. They are post stitches worked over other stitches. Once you get the way one works, they are all fairly easy. I don't want to talk you into the pattern if you aren't comfortable though. Hmm, I'll try to find a free pattern that has cables that are similar. That might ease some of your discomfort.

This particular pattern is 24 different squares. As mentioned though, the cables themselves are similar. I'd call them the same, but new comers would probably consider them different cables. I don't know that I explained that very well. :lol

As for me, I'm 2 1/2 squares into the afghan. :tup I'm making all of my squares the same color though. I'm not a fan of sampler afghans with different colored squares. It seems to busy to me. The squares are a light green color and the border/join is off white. If it's sunny tomorrow, I'll post some pictures for you guys.

:party I think I will get the pattern, I've got lots of caron spa yarn that needs something special done with it. Although I'm currently swamped in projects, one more won't hurt.....LOL!

Well I finished the first square and am about half way with the second. I'm so glad you started this CAL...just what I needed right now!

Hey Susan....it would a darling little baby afghan with some of these squares...just saying!

I'm glad you're enjoying the CAL, Deb. :)

I'm a few rows from being done with square 3.

A tip that might be helpful on square 3, the center cable created on row 7 works MUCH better with a FPTR instead of a FPDC.

I thought about buying the pattern, but I have so many other things going on right now that it'll be a while until I'm able to get to it :think We'll see, I'm still debating

We'd love to have you. :yes I'm sure we'll be around for a little bit. Join later if you'd like.

I got pictures taken! :cheer

Gillette Afghan Square (#1)

post-28827-135897662711_thumb.jpg

The Java Cable (#2)

post-28827-135897662717_thumb.jpg

Cable of Friendship (#3)

post-28827-135897662721_thumb.jpg

I'm working on square #4 right now. I'll probably finish it up tonight. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

In case you all get there soon, the pattern for square 4 isn't correct as written. I think I have it figured out. I emailed the designer to find out for sure. I'll let you know what she says. :hook

I am having tons of trouble with my squares! I gave up on 2 and 3! Number 2 wasn't looking anything like the picture so I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong. I think it's when I go back to do the BPdc on the cables but my front just looked like all FPdc's then. :think

Number 3 was waaaay over my head so I am worrking on the last square of the patterns right now and it is coming along nicely.

Any advice Nicole to what I'm doing wrong?

On square #2, you're probably not skipping the correct stitches before and after the post stitches. Well, you aren't really skipping stitches at all it just seems that way. Since the stitch is going around the post, you skip the top "v" on the stitch before a BPDC and the top "v" on the stitch after the FPDC.

Also, there is some errata if you purchased you pattern before 5/23. You might want to contact the designer of square #2 to find out if there is a problem there. I bought my pattern on Friday and had no problems.

Square #3, this is a little more complicated if you don't have experience working on cables. I bet if you work the other squares, then go back to that one you'll have better luck. :yes

I managed to get six of the squares done this weekend. It's a good head start since I can only get one done a night during the week. Stupid job getting in the way of crocheting. :angry

As the designer of Square #3 When you are ready to try again.. I am glad to help!

I am having tons of trouble with my squares! I gave up on 2 and 3! Number 2 wasn't looking anything like the picture so I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong. I think it's when I go back to do the BPdc on the cables but my front just looked like all FPdc's then. :think

Number 3 was waaaay over my head so I am worrking on the last square of the patterns right now and it is coming along nicely.

Any advice Nicole to what I'm doing wrong?

As the designer of Square #3 When you are ready to try again.. I am glad to help!

Just wanted to let you know that I had no problems with the pattern. I think I mentioned this in the thread, but I did do a FPTR in place of a FPDC in round 4 (I think that's the round). It worked better for me...didn't bunch up as much.

Edit - Actually it was round 7, not round 4.

We all thank you for supporting our project by buying a copy.

I don't know what number my square is either but if anyone needs help with my cables, please feel welcome to contact me.

I'm also offering free trials on private lessons via webcam. Contact me for details.

Kim Kotary

http://www.kkotary.webs.com

Archived