Help: Store & Payment options

I'm looking to start selling items in the near future.

I am a member of ravelry AND etsy. I didn't know you could sell things on ravelry, but it looks like it's only for selling patterns?

That's why I have etsy.

I would like some input please on what fellow crafters think.

I noticed on etsy, they have a paypal option. I do not like paypal at all.

Can you use anything else? If so, what preference do you have?

I really don't care for the pay by check/money order options--because of the possibility of scams.

Any & all info and input is greatly appreciated. :)

Postal money orders are not a scam. You can require these as payment. They have to be bought at the Post Office, then you cash it at the Post Office.

I wouldn't take money orders from banks I've never heard of, and there's lots of them.

If you intend to accept international buyers you have to accept PayPal. It's the only way Europeans (as an example) want to pay.

If I want to pay or accept a US cheque my bank charges $29 for the transaction.

Have you considered ArtFire?

I would suggest reading through all the FAQ documentation for sellers at Etsy. Those files should answer a lot of basic questions for you.

Etsy also has a site help forum where you can ask questions and get answers directly from Etsy staff, which would be your best source for accurate, up-to-date information.

Ok thank you all.

But one question still...

On Ravelry, is it only for selling patterns? That's all I've seen so I'm not sure.

I only use paypal when purchasing from individuals online. That way my purchase is usually protected to some degree. I don't give out my credit card info unless it is a store/company I am familiar with. As for having to go get a money order...... I would probably just find another vendor as that is too much trouble. No offense, but if I have to go stand in line at the post office or the bank just to get something to pay a vendor, it is not going to happen. Too many other vendors online that make it easier. There is another online payment option -- edigicash -- but don't know anything about it. Googlecheckout is another option to use -- but again, I haven't tried it out yet.

Ok thank you all.

But one question still...

On Ravelry, is it only for selling patterns? That's all I've seen so I'm not sure.

Ravelry is only set up to allow direct sales of downloadable patterns.

If you want to sell other things (yarn, finished items, hooks, tools, etc.), you would have to set up a website someplace else to sell those items.

I guess if paypal is the main payment option I'd have to use it.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to give out cc info.

Too many scams/scammers out there.

That's what I thought Ravelry did. Thank you Amy. =)

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't recommend anything BUT paypal. In my 4 years of experience on Etsy, a lot of people say that they are paying by Money Order and then never send payment. Not only are you out the excitement of selling a new pattern or item, but you are also out all the fees associated with listing this pattern:( Paypal is really the best option. Are you against the 3% or whatever it is that they take out of your profit?:think

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't recommend anything BUT paypal. In my 4 years of experience on Etsy, a lot of people say that they are paying by Money Order and then never send payment. Not only are you out the excitement of selling a new pattern or item, but you are also out all the fees associated with listing this pattern:( Paypal is really the best option. Are you against the 3% or whatever it is that they take out of your profit?:think

No I am not against the fees... I've just had some bad experience with Paypal.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also been an Etsy seller for 4 years and use PayPal all the time. I have an option on my Etsy shop to pay with either PayPal or M.O. I have only had one person in 4 years pay with a M.O. and that was because she was not set up on PayPal. She lives in Canada and is a friend and had never purchased anything on the internet before. You will find that most buyers will want to purchase with PayPal because of the privacy and PayPal backs the seller and the buyer. I have never had a problem with PayPal in the 4 years I have been selling on Etsy nor the many years before that where I have purchased thru PayPal

I have a store on Artfire.com. They were less expensive IMHO. You can even list up to 10 items for free and the only fees you pay are Paypal percentages. I wanted to list more than 10, so I opted for the monthly fee. Working on creating an ecommerce site on wordpress.com as well. Only fees, again would be paypal, if you're willing to use free templates availabe by wordpress. You have lots of options.

Archived