So I went to Michaels today to pick up some yarn to finish a blanket for my dd and they had TONS of yarn clearance, from different lines. They also had a sign that said something like new yarn line coming soon, or something along those lines. I got some pomp a doodle ( I think that is what it is) clearance, along with some bernat, they had red heart and lion brand wool clrx too. Might want to check your local store out and see if you can find some cheap!

I heard from a friend michaels is doing away with yarn. not sure but I'll have to check mine out too

I don't think they are doing away with yarn but I think they are only going to start carrying their own line of yarn.

We have 2 new Michael's within 30 miles of each other, neither one has enough yarn to keep me happy. There is only 30 feet of yarn in each store. The ones that they have are a lot of bulky or fun furs.

These stores opened in the last 2 years. When I asked about Red Heart, I was told she never heard of that brand

My nearest Michael's store had a few skeins on clearance, but I must have been late to the game, because the clearance bins were near-empty, and the stuff left wasn't priced very low.

Too bad if Michael's stops carrying other brands, I'll have to go farther away, to Joann's for a lot of yarn. However, I'm really liking Michael's Impeccable Loops and Threads yarn. Nice colors, soft texture, and just the right weight for my worsted projects.

I walked over to my closest Michaels today and there was clearanced yarn. It, however, was in three different places in the store. One place was in the regular yarn aisle, the second was a tiered bin when you first walked into the store, and the last was in the clearance aisle with other merchandise. I picked up the skeins that were $1.29 and $1.49, even snagged the lone one at 49 cents, many were higher (hoping they will come down in price). I also noticed many crochet hooks were on clearance.

A few were priced at $1.49 but when I scanned them at the price scanner, (I like to double check everything) they came up at $1.99 but when I questioned it, I was given the $1.49 price. Yes, I did a little bit of damage, at least in this store. I did notice also the sign that did say new yarns coming soon.

Hopefully I will get to the next one by the latter part of the week. Now to find room (one can never have too many skeins of yarn) to store them.

LI Roe

Based on this thread alone, I made a scouting/shopping foray into Michael's this afternoon. I went to the Michael's in Pinole, California (if any of you are into regional comparisons, as I am).

This one had very specific lines of yarn on Clearance: Lion Brand Wool-Ease, Bernat Satin Sport, Caron Simply Soft, and Stitch Nation's Alpaca Love (80% wool, 20% alpaca), distributed by Red Heart. Michael's was keeping other Lion Brand lines (e.g., Vanna's Choice) at full price, so it looked like they were just getting rid of a few lines. Don't know why; the Wool-Ease is great to work with! I haven't used the others.

Prices were about 40% off from regular amounts. I paid $2.49 (reg. $3.49 for 3 oz/85 g = 197 yd/180 m) for solid-color Wool-Ease; $1.99 (reg. ??? for 2.5 oz/70 g = 162 yd/146 m) for variegated Wool-Ease; and $2.99 (reg. $4.99) for Alpaca Love (3 oz/85 g = 132 yd/121 m).

Curiously, Michael's also seems to be putting all Lion Brand crochet hooks (and perhaps knitting needles?) on clearance as well! There were very few crochet hooks left and almost no regular knitting needles, except for the bamboo straights by Clover, so it was hard to tell whether only Lion Brand hooks & needles were on clearance, everything was on clearance, or what exactly.... I purchased an extra Q/19 (15.0 mm) and an extra S/35 (19.0 mm) hook for $1.29 and $2.99, respectively.

Almost no baby yarns were on clearance *or* on sale. However, there were several eyelash yarns on clearance, all gathered together at the end of one display case--not the aisle-end display, but the end of the regular case, where items can be "buried."

My feeling, from looking at this large yarn section equal to that of the local Joann's, is that this Michael's is not eliminating all other yarns in favor of their own label, but rather is simply making some space for their own in-house label, "Loops and Threads."

I only wish a few more of my favorite colors had been available at the clearance prices! :) But it's probably just as well that they weren't....

DCM

When I was there, I bought Loops and Threads Simply Soft for $1.49 a skein, there were only a few colors (last time I was there, it was the same thing, only a few skeins). I don't remember ever seeing it in the regular yarn aisle. The Caron Simply Soft was not on clearance. The Lion Brand Woolease had been either $1.79 or $1.29, two of out three stores had it priced differently (and the one that was $1.79 would not honor the other stores prices when I questioned it a few weeks ago). Loops and Threads in Santa Fe were also $1.49 and a few colors of RedHeart Shimmer were also $1.49 (the others were $3.99 on clearance, I will wait to see if they are reduced to $1.49).

I also noticed that many of Susan Bates crochet hooks were are clearance also.

However, while meandering around the yarn aisles, I noticed that the price of RedHeart Super Saver (which had been $2.99) was now down to $2.79 (but not shown as a sale price, just a regular yarn price). Now this was only at the one Michaels that I was in on Monday, hopefully will get to another one tomorrow.

LI Roe

Okay, I ended up walking over to the second Michaels by me today. Is is too much to ask that all stores be consistent in their pricing or am I just wishing for the impossible? This one had their RedHeart at $2.99, very little clearance and what was there was higher than the Michaels I went to the other day. And it was scattered throughout the regular yarn aisle. There were five skeins of RedHeart Super Saver Amazon at $1.49 on clearance. I did grab those since that is suitable for boy stuff (I do a lot of charity crocheting). Oh and a few skeins of Sugar & Cream were 79 cents.

I did stop at AC Moore (they are only about 1/2 mile apart) since I had some coupons for that store but ended up with a bag of mill ends (again more suitable for boy stuff) and some crochet leaflets.

Think I am done for this week (famous last words, LOL).

LI Roe

this is rather perplexing for me.

See, I just joined the Stashbusters CAL, and this could seriously put me in the negatives....

But I don't really like going to my Michaels' (I think there's 3 of them by me) for yarn as I find their selection limited to the usual pink/blue/green baby yarn and the same few class 3 and 4 yarns. I think they're trying to go for a boutique feel and catering to the scrapbooking fad - almost the entire store is devoted to that one hobby while the rest of the hobbies get crowded around the edges.

The lone AC Moore (about 10 miles away for me) has a much nicer selection, but I find I do most of my shopping online.

Archived