How do you match up bead size with thread?

melindascrochetbits

how can I find out what size thread/yarn to use with a certain size bead? Right now I have 60g beads( don't know the size) and I am totally lost as to how to get started. I have some size 10 thread and some ww yarn. Can some one help me please??!! I would like to crochet with size 10 thread and am also looking for some type of thread/string/yarn that is durable. My first project is to make myself a keychain.

Ok, on the front of the beads it says

2.1 oz 60g glass beads

On the back in little print it says:

60 grm glass E-bead cry rainbow

so I guess I have 3 packs of size e glass beads. lol

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in midst of my first tube bracelet--I needed 6 colors of beads --I bought 11/0 size.

I tried threading them on #10 thread--didn't work. Changed to thinner thread... :think Now I believe I need size 8/0 beads.....I am sooooo mad :angry as there are no craft or bead stores anywhere near me.

The 11/0 I just bought over the weekend when I was out of town at a Michael's......venting venting.:(

craftylady1956, try tieing a long peice of sewing thread to your size 10 thread. now put your beading needle onto the sewing thread. The beads should go right on and slide right onto the size 10 thread.. IF not then you need to try again using size 20 or 30 thread if you want to crochet with these beads. Let us know how it goes.

I have started putting the 11/0 beads onto (not sure if #20 or #30 thread) which was given to me and has no label- but the thread is so very thin. The beads fit on it but I think it'll be too thin to work with. I am an experience crocheter -almost 50 years and have crochet with beads before--just not the tube techinque.

Any other ideas? Thank you for your help....:hug

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to do a project in no 10 thread and wondered about threading the beads on blending filament or a couple of strands of embroidery thread that I plan to carry along with the no 10. I'm just going to try a swatch or 2 first.

Although I have crocheted for years and are familar about working with beads, I've become VERY frustrated trying to make the tubular type bracelets.

I've tried different size beads and thread and find the process very difficult to say the least. I've tried at the very least 50 times and I'm not too happy. I understand the HOW but it doesn't come out like I've seen. I have trouble after the second round of beads, seeing which bead is from the last row or the row before..ugh.

I've since put it aside and will try again maybe in a few days. :angry

Although I have crocheted for years and are familar about working with beads, I've become VERY frustrated trying to make the tubular type bracelets.

I've tried different size beads and thread and find the process very difficult to say the least. I've tried at the very least 50 times and I'm not too happy. I understand the HOW but it doesn't come out like I've seen. I have trouble after the second round of beads, seeing which bead is from the last row or the row before..ugh.

I've since put it aside and will try again maybe in a few days. :angry

It took me a long time too.

Now I thread different colours for the first rows, which makes it easier to start. That makes it okey for the first couple of rows to look weird, but I unravel them afterwards.

Beads don't droop in crochet as the stitch holds it tight. You can use an inch wide bead and it still doesn't droop.

Thanks, Flia! This will be my first use of beads. I haven't decided yet whether to use blending filament or the metallic floss. It will depend on the main thread color I chose.

S

this is one of the tutorials I tried, others were tyold to do it the same way as this...thanks for any help.:manyheart

http://www.beadpatterncentral.com/tubewelcome.html

That's a great tutorial, except for the fact that you can use any bead and thread size.

Knowing the howto doesn't make it easy to make the first rows neat though :)

Fila-

I had put my bead bracelet aside for about 2 weeks...Picked it up again this morning....Trying it again. I did maybe 4-5 rounds and frogged it a few times. I'm working with size 8/0 beads and 10 thread...I don't know how much thread should be seen but I see more than I'd like to see....Just have to keep trying. i am not crocheting loose so i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong..but I'm beginning to get a better feel for how it should look when looking into the tube as I go--if that makes sense.

Well to be honest , I wanted to use 6 colors....my mistake I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered the beads but ordered only 5 colors :angry.

So I only have 5 colors oper row/ round etc. I'm still trying to get it going. Keep trying and frogging, trying and frogging......I now am trying a thinner thread again. Today I went to move something an accidently spilled a BUNCH on my wood floors. :eek. Needless to say I still am trying to figure this out !!!

Your E beads are a size 6 bead.

Doing crocheted ropes can be a bit fustrating in the beginning. But I love the look. I do have free instructions on my website if you care to take a look. I have directions for the slip stitch ropes and also how to do them with regular sc.

I use a dritz looped needle threader to put my beads on the thread or a collapsible beading needle. either make it easier to put the smallest bead possible on a given thread. I easily string size 11 beads on size 10 thread with these.

how can I find out what size thread/yarn to use with a certain size bead? Right now I have 60g beads( don't know the size) and I am totally lost as to how to get started. I have some size 10 thread and some ww yarn. Can some one help me please??!! I would like to crochet with size 10 thread and am also looking for some type of thread/string/yarn that is durable. My first project is to make myself a keychain.

Ok, on the front of the beads it says

2.1 oz 60g glass beads

On the back in little print it says:

60 grm glass E-bead cry rainbow

so I guess I have 3 packs of size e glass beads. lol

• 4 weeks later...

For Craftylady1956 and others who are new to bead crochet, for size 11/0 beads I like to use a heavy duty sewing thread usually used for decorative top stitching. It is heavier than regular sewing thread and the size hook I use is about a #10 steel. I look for the polyester or cotton wrapped polyester threads for durability. A size 20 or 30 crochet cotton is fine and should work with size 11/0 beads but 100% cotton will weaken and stretch over time. For #10 bedspread weight cotton a size 6/0 (aka E) bead will fit very nicely onto the thread. I hope this helps. I have made many crochet bead ropes and once you get used to the technique it is very addicting.

Patty

Thanks--I must've tried at least 75 times--I've worked with crochet and beads before but never the ropes. I have used different beads sizes, thread sizes etc and still I could not get it to look right..the thread always shows. In any photos I see -I never see any thread showing..

Finally packed it all up and hope one day soon to pull it all out again and tried some more. I want to learn this so bad...:(

• 3 months later...

Archived