Is it possible to make 2 scarfs at once?

Ok, so I have this thought... haven't tried it yet, but may. Do you think it is possible to make 2 scarfs at once if you use a long afghan hook or a cable afghan hook? My vision is that you would need 2 skeins of yarn.... You know how you can make two pairs of socks (so I've heard) on circular knitting needles? Wouldn't that work for scarfs? Anyone try this?

I'm finishing up a pair of knit socks that I did at once on a circular needle. for the the toe/instep/beginning of heel it made sense because I was sure i had the same # of sts and rows on both. As I understand it, the point of doing 2 at once is that you know they are identical. for the heel shaping i had to take one off the needle because i was getting mixed up. now that i am doing the leg i am doing one at a time because it just seems simpler. Moving the 2 units around on the needle is cumbersome and slower for me than just doing one at a time.

I don't have much experience with Tunisian, but I'm trying to think what would be the advantage of doing 2 scarves at once? Based on my experience w/ the socks, I'd say that managing 2 things on 1 tool slows down rather than speeds up the process.

i was pleasantly surprised that i never came close to knitting them together;)

Thanks for the input, I guess it would be difficult to manage different strands of yarn on the hook (maybe if I made the scarfs 2 different colors that would help?) I may try it just to see. I guess that I was trying to save time by thinking of 2 at a time, but it may not in the end because the technique would take getting used to.

I think it would be easier just to have two different projects going at the same time, with two different hooks if necessary. But with crochet, you don't need to leave your hook in the project like you typically do with knitting, so you might only need one hook. (Just find a secure way to hold the stitch on the second project while you're not working on it.) Work on Project A for a certain number of rows, then pick up Project B and do the same number of rows on it.

I just did mittens (2 at a time).

I kept them separate and used 2 different I hooks. I did one round on one and then switched to the other.

The problem with the Tunisian and doing it 2 at a time - after you work your way back to the 1st st - the hook is no longer in the project.

I'm not sure it's even possible to crochet two objects at the same time like you can in knitting. However, just when I think something can't be done somebody clever comes along to prove me wrong... if you get it figured out, please let us know!

Archived