Do you have rules for your stash?

rulz? you mean their is rules? (kicks a stray yarn ball under her bed. and Shoves a skein back behind her pillow)

My only rule is Ther is no rulz.. buy and by agin. and if i don't have that specific color and i have the money I must adopt it LOL

My stash was reasonable until mid-summer. Then a did a couple of big online orders. Then it felt a little excessive. And then... I stumbled onto a big I Love This Yarn clearance at Hobby Lobby - I bought around um, well, 50 skeins. And I love every one of them.

Now I try to buy only to finish a project actually begun, or if I find a color locally that I have not come across for a very long time, or a wonderful new color, or if it is an unusually good price. I make lapghans for charity, so I go through a lot of yarn, and it pays in the long run to buy it when I come across really good sales. But I think of these as guidelines, not rules. Guidelines are so much easier to ignore - not to mention that they're so broad I can always justify the purchase!

I could never buy just for a project. Since I very often start changing out colors once I begin, that would soon morph into a stash anyway, and I would spend all my time rushing to the store to find that better shade that surely is out there somewhere. With my big stash, I can shop at home. I think of it as "working stash" and feel better about it.

... and I would spend all my time rushing to the store to find that better shade that surely is out there somewhere. With my big stash, I can shop at home. I think of it as "working stash" and feel better about it.

Joann's and Michael's are both 45 miles away. Walmart does not have a great selection. It's so much easier (and cheaper) to be able to shop at home than have to spend half a day driving and hoping that either store will have what I need.

Rule 1: it must fit in the craft room. Since the craft room is the 800 sq ft finished half of the basement...that's not too hard.

Rule 2: any yarn purchased must come out of my personal account not the household account. (not too hard. I have a certain amount each paycheck put into household account, rest goes in my personal account and is my 'play' money. and gas money to get to work. haha)

Rule 3: Any yarn that I do not like, should be given to someone who will use it. I'm about to get rid of all Red Heart super saver and another brand that I just do not like. Co-worker is learning to crochet and I offered her the extra stash to learn with. Some of it is yarn I've had for many years, some is yarn passed down from my mom and grandma. I just...can't stand the feel of RH super saver.

Rule 4: Enjoy the stash! Use the stash! Add to the stash!

No rules here. But as part of the 2010 Stashbusting CAL, and a future member of the 2011 Stashbusting CAL, it does kind of remind me not to bring home all the little skeins that are crying in the clearance bins.:lol

:manyheart

Archived