Lesson learned

Carlinda

Finished up my purse to be felted today. Did not do a test swatch. Used what I thought was Patons classic wool I got in a clearance bin and an expensive self striping wool yarn called paintbox from knit one, crochet too. Eagerly and excitedly put it in the washing machine. Checked, rechecked, and rechecked again. The paintbox felted beautifully, the yellow patons was not. I have felted with this before and usually it felted right up. Went back and checked the labels again. The yarn color on the patons label did not match the yarn. Ran a lighter over the end of the yarn and sure enough, ACRYLIC. Somehow the wrong label got put on the yellow yarn in the midst of getting to the clearance bin. Wow, that was not such a bargain after all. Just wanted to cry :( Shown is my before picture. Worst of all I had not only put a lot of work into the purse, but also took the time to write the pattern out for it as well. This would have been so beautiful had it turned out. Now sitting in a soggy, heaping mess in the bottom of my trash can. Sigh...

Lesson learned, do a swatch test. Hope someone else learns from my mistake at least. :manyheart

post-41864-135897598978_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for sharing in my sadness over this. It will be awhile before I make this again. I will have to special order the self striping yarn online as it is not available to me locally. It will be a while before I order any more yarn with Christmas coming up. I may do it some solid colors but dont think it would be as pretty. The knit one, crochet too paintbox felted up really, really pretty for those who have not used it or seen it before.

• 5 months later...

Go pull it out of your trashcan!!!!!

I understand how disappointing this can be. Just because it didn't felt right does NOT make it any less of a stunning pattern!

Pull it out of the trash, dry it off and put it away for the time being. You can always work on it later when you're not as upset as you are right now.

Archived