A cry for help

I'm going to be teaching a crochet hook whittling class over on Camano Island this coming week, and am getting a lesson plan together. So tell me, if you would, if you were taking a crochet hook whittling class, what would you like to learn, just how to whittle a hook and get as many hooks out of the time as you can, or would you like to learn a bit about wood carving and knife sharpening and that kind of thing as well. I'll gauge my lesson plan on your responses.

Of course either way, a little safety lesson will be involved.

Thanks kids!

Jimbo

I think I'd want to learn all I could. When my best friend taught me to crochet she insisted I must learn to read a pattern, I just wanted to do a simple stitch and be done with it. I am eternally grateful she taught me and I have all l the tools I needed for a long and fruitful crochet life.

Hope this helps.

Personally, if I were taking a class, I would first want to learn how to carve the actual hook, so I could try my hand at making one....not production-line carving, but a hands on learning. Then I would like to learn the art and techniques behind it. I'm too antsy to get into the history of it all first, so I'd rather make the hook first and then learn the rest ...that is, after I try to make my first hook and fail miserably. :blush I like to learn by doing, and watching the process. I've never seen a hook made before, so I have no clue how to properly "whittle" one. That is what I'd love to learn and I could only do that with a hands on teacher.

I think a bit on carving in general and care of the tools (knife sharpening) are important things to teach in a class like yours. Then your students apply those skills/knowledge to carving a hook.

I wish I lived closer, I would take that class in a heart beat!

too jittery to read everyone else's posts, but here's my :2c

Personally, i'd be interested in making a giant hook (I consider this to be anything 9mm and up). I'd be interested in learning the tools needed to accomplish this. Some of the principles of woodcarving, a taste of the history, a dose of safety, techniques?

You probably know more abt woodcarving than I--I'd probably most enjoy a class that is broad and shallow with an opportunity for hands-on even if I'm not able to finish the project during the time period. Maybe 1/3 lecture, 2/3 hands on? 50/50? With Show & Tell at the end?

have fun! :hook

Thanks for your input! I might not have told you but the class is one where at the end you have at least one hook that you made all by yourself. I've taught carving classes before, but for spoon making and Santa Claus carving. Hook whittling is much more important and since the students are pretty much all crochetiers, its important to me to balance the lesson so the students leave with the confidence to make their own quality hooks. I expect that to get there, we'll need at least a little bit on carving and sharpening basics.

All that and it's got to be WAY fun.

Wish you could all come!! It's going to be on Camano Island in Puget Sound where the Orcas roam and the class will be taught in the Center for Wooden Boat Building. What a fantastic setting!

I agree with Rat dog--must be the Florda air---But do I wished I could come to the class --perhaps Jimbo can do an online demo one day--whatta say Jimbo? You'd have all the ladies oogling over you--and your hooks LOL!!!!:hook

In my opinion, I would first want to learn about the basics of the tools, wood, and their care-nothing overly detailed or overwhelming, enough to give me standard results. Second, the safety lesson, so that it is fresh in mind. Then the very basics of carving, gradually leading to the more difficult techniques. I wouldn't want to learn too much at one time. You might consider creating a worksheet that they could bring with them, with general instructions and reminders, but not enough detail that they could hand them out, rendering your service less necessary. I don't know of a non-rude way of saying it, but I am sure you'll understand what I mean. :)

Good suggestions all! Thanks for taking the time. I have written a couple pages of safety stuff and tool info that can be adapted from my previous carving classes easy enough, so that should shorten some of the lecture time a bit and get us into the whittling part faster.

Thanks again for the help. I'll feel more confident with your advice.

I've no clue how to do the on line thing though. I see youtube things all the time but never even thought about how to do one.

Ah yes, that will definately be part of the lesson. In fact we might even take the old folding saw on a little hike in the woods and see what we can saw.

"definately"

Seems I always spell that word wrong. Well it SHOULD be spelled with an "a"! I'm all for a rebellyun to git words spelled like thay otta be.

Archived