Yarn Barf

We hatessss it!

Bernat Satin..nice stuff for inexpensive yarn, soft, a bit shimmery, the colors are pretty. But every single skein I've used so far has been a stupid tangle! Pulling from the center usually gets a big wad of yarn to be untangled, but this latest skein?

At least half the skein came out in a huge Gordian Knot with the end buried somewhere in the middle. I ended up unwinding it from the outside carefully until I got to the tangle, then worked on the tangle until I found the end. It's been an hour and I'm still working at it! I refuse to waste an entire skein of yarn, I will win!!

I know how you feel as I have come across skeins like that too. A worse pet peeve for me, is when you are crocheting along.....well into a project and you get this wad of fuzzy ball stuff attached to the yarn, like a tumor on the yarn that makes the yarn really thick in that spot. You wind up having to cut the yarn and re-attach in the most unwanted places. Has that ever happened to you? That just drives me nuts! :loco

Here's another one: I can't stand when I buy a skein of yarn that is supposed to be a pull out skein and there is no center end to pull out. I go digging for it and it's nowhere to be found, so I have to use the yarn from the outside. That is not convenient! :thair Don't these skeins have to pass inspections or something? :think

We hatessss it!

At least half the skein came out in a huge Gordian Knot with the end buried somewhere in the middle. I ended up unwinding it from the outside carefully until I got to the tangle, then worked on the tangle until I found the end. It's been an hour and I'm still working at it! I refuse to waste an entire skein of yarn, I will win!!

:cheerWIN :cheerWIN :cheerWIN :cheer

Sounds like me and my luck with Caron SS! For as much as I love the yarn, I swear every skein ends up with a massive amount of yarn barf.

:applause for getting it untangled!! Sometimes that's the best feeling in the world LOL

I'm the official "untangler" in my family. I haven't met a knot I couldn't beat. But that's probably the frugalness that my mother instilled in me. I can remember her having me untangle yarn when I was 10 years old.

The first time I complained about "yarn barf" around my DH, he cracked up. :D

I let the companies know when this happens and include the stamped numbers off of the skein wrappers. Bernat sent me 3 replacement skeins when I had trouble with their Softee Baby yarn.

If everyone sent a note about this to the yarn companies when it happens, maybe yarn barf will be a thing of the past.

When my yarn does that, especially right when I first start, I always say my skein is birthing something. And sometimes you get a big one out and IT births a knot too.

If you've ever been in a knitting mill, you'd know why these skeins have such problems. It's a wonder there aren't more problems. One person has to watch numerous machines, and the machines (at least the ones that were in this area) are at least 100 years old. I'll bet they even sold the machines to another comany when they closed here, rather than scrap them.

Archived