Jimbo challenge

ExRea

Jimbo,

I recently had you create a thread hook for me. I love it and would love to have a whole set for thread. Here's my challenge: By using the Boyle interchangeable set create a handle that would use the hooks. Here is a link to an ebay auction showing the hooks I am talking about. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370436125306&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

So basically you would only be creating one (1) handle for the interchangeable hooks. Think about it and let me know what you would charge for such a handle.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to consider it!!

Connie/exrea

I've been thinking in my little brain on that topic for several years and have yet to come up with a solution. See, the thing is that standard thread hooks have different size handles. I typically adapt standard hooks to the handles I make, by trimming the hook handle shorter, grinding off the sides of the grip to the same diameter as the shank, drilling a like size hole in the wood handle, dobbing a bit of glue in the hole, then sliding the hook shank into the hole. A pretty labor intensive process. Now if I could find thread hooks without grips, and if they all had the same size handle, and if I could figger out a way to slide the hooks into the handle so they'd stick but not premanently so they could be replaceable.... but nooooooo, nobody to my knowledge makes steel thread hooks like that.

I might be able to adapt a set like the one shown in the ebay link to a custom handle, though. That might be possible. hmmmmmmmm

Jimbo, you are an expert so if anyone can figure out a way I'm sure you would be the one:clap. I'm thinking you may be able to notch your hook and somehow lower it into an opening that goes downward and sideways. Twisting the hook into the handle would possibly set it in, but would there be an issue regarding a hook getting split or broke in the act of removing it from the handle?:think

I just e-mailed the Crochet Dude, who has his own line of hooks now (that guy is just amazing, eh?) and asked him if he knows anyone in the Boye company who might "hook" me up with the steel hooks with fitted ends that could slip into a collet that they might also provide. If Wrights (the company that makes Boye hooks, I think) would sell me the hardware, I could make the handles, fit the collets, and wall-ah!

Oh and Crochetfan, that might be do-able too, but I'd worry about the slot being an irritant (rubbing on fingers) and putting a bayonet lock on a tiny hook shank would be a challenge too. But maybe a sharp bend would work as well. hmmmmmm again. Gotta think more about that one. Thanks for the thought!

Jimbo,

I use the Boye interchangeable hooks (when I'm not using my Jimbo Threadie) and there is only one (1) handle for all 14 hooks.

Maybe if you go to hobby lobby or other craft store you could see the handle they include with the set of interchangeable hooks.

Hey, what if I sent you a set to use as a temp plate? Then when you finished the handle you could send the set back to me & I would send you whatever fee for your time & effort...

Let me know........

Your #1 fan,

Connie/exrea

have y'all seen this yet? it's a boye ergonomic handle for aluminum hooks...only thing is it bothers my hands to use it..i think the bulb is too big though. it comes with different sizes of rubber washers that slide of the hook until the thumb rest

post-37461-135897579439_thumb.jpg

have y'all seen this yet? it's a boye ergonomic handle for aluminum hooks...only thing is it bothers my hands to use it..i think the bulb is too big though. it comes with different sizes of rubber washers that slide of the hook until the thumb rest

I got one of those a couple of weeks ago, and played with it a bit.

I didn't like the feel of the plastic.

And the plastic piece inside that keeps it in place still allowed it to turn freely, which I found annoying.

Yes, I had thought of rubber sleeves, and we'll see what the Boye folks are willing to sell. I can't locate washers with a common outside diameter and different crochet hook sizes inside. On the other hand, I was able to find a set of the Boye hooks on Ebay. They'll be coming shortly and what I'll do is cut the collet off the handle and fit it to a Jimbo handle. Hope it works.

And thanks for all the ideas!! You guys are sooooo nice!

Oh and that new Boye ball. Interesting shape eh? Might be comfy. I think I'da picked a different color combination though.

Yes, I had thought of rubber sleeves, and we'll see what the Boye folks are willing to sell. I can't locate washers with a common outside diameter and different crochet hook sizes inside. On the other hand, I was able to find a set of the Boye hooks on Ebay. They'll be coming shortly and what I'll do is cut the collet off the handle and fit it to a Jimbo handle. Hope it works.

And thanks for all the ideas!! You guys are sooooo nice!

Oh and that new Boye ball. Interesting shape eh? Might be comfy. I think I'da picked a different color combination though.

Maybe it is premature to ask what you will charge for the modified handle??? Will you be selling the whole Interchangeable Hook Set or just the modified hook? You could probably use the hooks to create Jimbo hooks eh??

I can hardly wait!!

I think I'd do the set with a single handle. Thread hooks like yours are do'able but are pretty labor intensive. If I could do a set like you suggested, well that'd be pretty nifty. No idea about prices yet.

Drew wrote back and is looking into hooking me up with someone at Boye for the collets and hooks. It'd be nice to get just the hooks and collets without handles.

We'll see!

Thanks again for the ideas!

Just got the hooks from Ebay and it looks like I might be able to do a handle with a little fanagling. Holey cow is a #14 thread hook tiny! I can't hardly see the hook. And folks crochet with those?! I'm beyond impressed.

my two cents worth, actually a question, do you sell an entire set of your jimbo hooks?? from like f, g, h,i,j,k, and then maybe the larger ones too, l, m, n, o and p? I should just come to your site, ha, duh, and then if I have questions, Ill be back, sorry.thanks.... lol

Just got the hooks from Ebay and it looks like I might be able to do a handle with a little fanagling. Holey cow is a #14 thread hook tiny! I can't hardly see the hook. And folks crochet with those?! I'm beyond impressed.

Looking forward to it.

By the way.... I use Boye #15 as well, although they're not for sale any more. I find them at yard sales and sometimes Ebay.

my two cents worth, actually a question, do you sell an entire set of your jimbo hooks?? from like f, g, h,i,j,k, and then maybe the larger ones too, l, m, n, o and p? I should just come to your site, ha, duh, and then if I have questions, Ill be back, sorry.thanks.... lol

Well, I've done small sets before, but never a full set. Might try that some time, but so far most folks just want individual hooks. Right now I have a sort-of set of ultralightweight Birch hooks in N, Q, and S for sale in my blog. I'tll be interesting going from S to a #14 threadie, eh? Oh I tell you this hook making is so much fun!

Well, I've done small sets before, but never a full set. Might try that some time, but so far most folks just want individual hooks. Right now I have a sort-of set of ultralightweight Birch hooks in N, Q, and S for sale in my blog. I'tll be interesting going from S to a #14 threadie, eh? Oh I tell you this hook making is so much fun!

Jimbo, I am so glad to hear that you are still having fun making these hooks! One day I want to order one from you in a smaller size so I can use them more often. :hook I use a lot of F and G making hats and animals.The ones I have are H and K, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! It was a really fun project and if all works out well, it might be the start of a new branch of Jimbo Ink (ink because I can't afford to INC) heh.

Fantastic :clap, though not for me though. I only use #14 and I'd want a handle that you could put a new hook into when the old one's broken (because the smaller one's do break).

BTW.... can you buy single interchangeable hooks anywhere?

wall ah!!! Took a spell to do but twas a fun project.

Whatcha think?

Perfect, exactly what I had in mind when I submitted the challenge!!

Does this mean I get the first set??? I saw on your page you thought $65.00 would be the selling price. I will gladly pay for it on your page through pay pal. Just let me know!!

Sorry for my delayed response I have been crocheting snowflakes and haven't been on line in a few days.

Thanks for accepting the challenge too!! I knew you could do it! I did challenge others but no one would even try.

LET ME KNOW!!!!!

Highest regards,

Connie/exrea

You Bet! But tell me, do you think that handle will work well for you. I haven't glued the two together yet so you can have a choice if you'd prefer a different handle. Oh and thanks for the challenge!

Still noodling on one that would let you interchange hooks of the same size. To my knowledge, Boye only sells the sets and no replacement hook heads.

Archived