Tips for crocheting in the heat?

Any all,

Does anyone have any tips for crocheting in the heat? I am in my bedroom and have a window fan, but it's been soooooo hot lately. It's still 80* and it's 10:15. At this point in time I don't have access to an a/c. It is still sticky outside so that is making the yarn (cotton) hard to work with. I am using a Bates aluminum hook.

Any ideas? I just have the finishing touches to put on my project and am antsy to get it done and pics up.

I have sprinkled baby powder on my hands, it helps some.

Also if you wet a hand towel and drape it around your neck, you will feel cooler.

We've been in the midst of a heat wave here, too, in Kansas.

Can't wait til fall.

HI there!

I agree with the cool towel wrapped around your neck, you can also try sipping on ice cool water. The baby powder helps, I haven't used it in awhile, but it does work. I also try not to drape whatever I am working on my lap. Hope this helps!

Another thing you can try is to just stick to projects that are in squares or small motifs. That way, you don't have the weight of a heavy afghan on you all the time.

If you are working on an afghan or something heavy, I've heard another trick is to spread it out on a large table, like a diningroom table, so that it isn't on you directly.

I have no hints, but I am also from NE OH and had to puts my two cents in. I told my my hubby Sunday night that my fingers were sweating! (We don't have a/c, either, and never felt we needed it until this year) Today is much nicer, though!

another one chiming in with the baby powder idea. I keep a travel size one in my project bag...absorbs the moisture on the hands ;)

also, a tip for beating the heat...if you can swing it. :P Put a tub of coold water by your feet, and soak them as needed to cool off. (keep a towel handy too, to protect your floors from drips :lol)

HTH

Rub the hook down with waxed paper and then stick it in ice water to set the wax. It'll glide like it's a beautiful COOL fall day.

Girl you are most definitely the smartest person I know :hug

I'm going to try that one.

A tub of cold water with a few ice cubes floating it to soak your feet in while you crochet helps a LOT.

There IS actually a way to turn a fan into an air conditioner, but it requires some creativity to put it together. You can Google "turn your fan into an air conditioner" and it will tell you everything you need along with explicit instructions on how to construct it. It will cost you about $30 to buy the parts.

Short of that, you can make a quick, homemade "swamp cooler" by taking a large bowl and filling it with ice cubes. Place it on a table in front of the fan just slightly lower than the fan itself. The fan will blow the air over the ice so that it's pushing cooled air around the room. It is by no means as effective as an air conditioner, but it's a technique that was used by many in the days before A/C became available to the masses.

A tub of cold water with a few ice cubes floating it to soak your feet in while you crochet helps a LOT.

There IS actually a way to turn a fan into an air conditioner, but it requires some creativity to put it together. You can Google "turn your fan into an air conditioner" and it will tell you everything you need along with explicit instructions on how to construct it. It will cost you about $30 to buy the parts.

Short of that, you can make a quick, homemade "swamp cooler" by taking a large bowl and filling it with ice cubes. Place it on a table in front of the fan just slightly lower than the fan itself. The fan will blow the air over the ice so that it's pushing cooled air around the room. It is by no means as effective as an air conditioner, but it's a technique that was used by many in the days before A/C became available to the masses.

We used to do that in the hospital to cool down dangerous fevers in the kids. It did work.

Archived