Just me or..

Ambersafghans

Question

12 answers to this question

This is very old pattern before things were standardized, Plain crochet normally means single crochet in an old pattern such as this one. You just have to readjust your thinking when working one of these older patterns. Once you figure out their terminology, they aren't to difficult to do.

Work plain could also mean "work without shaping" or "work in pattern as set."

That instruction seems to be a purse pattern, not the horses ear thingy.

You may need to be doing a SC where it says DC as it may be an English pattern.

I do not really understand why you would make a net for a horses ear but then I dont have a horse.:think :think :think

Perhaps you could enlighten us mortals.

Have fun.

Colleen

Is this pattern badly written?

http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/PageView/08942/0185?id=d6676d4b43e94a8b

I was typing out the horse ear net pattern, and there are places where it wasn't making sense. What is plain?

Amber

Well the very first part of that page your not needing at all, if you go back one page its for a beaded purse..

The part that says plain is the pattern design of the purse.

There are two patterns on that page one finishes up the beaded miser purse from the page before and the begining of the horse ear net. That is finished on the next page. That also refers to plain crochet in it's instructions on the second page.

I also have horses so I got myself a copy just in case I got bored and needed a fun project.

To work a bead means to add a bead with your stitch. Normally on the backside of the work or piece.

To keep the flies out of their ears-- a lot of these things are also fringed so they can shake the fringe to keep the flies off of their eyes.

--SarahC

Work plain could also mean "work without shaping" or "work in pattern as set."

That instruction seems to be a purse pattern, not the horses ear thingy.

You may need to be doing a SC where it says DC as it may be an English pattern.

I do not really understand why you would make a net for a horses ear but then I dont have a horse.:think :think :think

Have fun.

Colleen

To keep the flies out of their ears-- a lot of these things are also fringed so they can shake the fringe to keep the flies off of their eyes.

--SarahC

How interesting, it sounds like the Australian hats with the dangling corks, and we know how cute those hats are :h5

"I do not really understand why you would make a net for a horses ear but then I dont have a horse.:think :think :think

Have fun.

Colleen"

:) No I don't have a horse. But everyone else around us does. A neighbor asked me to make one for her. It goes over there ears and down their forheads. It is meant to keep the flies from bugging them.

I did see that the top was to a different pattern. I tried this pattern, and gave up. :blush I borrowed the horse ear net that she is borrowing and am making up a pattern of my own, sort of. We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks!

Amber

It just goes to show that we are never too old to learn something new.:think :think :think

I did think it may have been to do with Dressage or some other type of Show stuff but flies out of ears makes total sense.

There are usually plenty of flies where there are horses.

My sister once lived next door to a Racing Stable and her house was always full of pesky flies.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe a picture of the horse wearing the nets would be good too.

Have fun.

Colleen:cheer

Archived