Wanted: Granny Squares for NICU

SherryLynn

We lost our sweet grandson. He only weighed 13 ounces. The NICU wrapped him in a tiny crocheted blanket for us to spend a moment with him.

I was so touched, being a crocheter, when I saw the blanket. I wanted to give something back to other families that would be going through the same awful experience.

Since then I have been making granny squares blankets and donating them to the hospital, along with preemie hats. I would like to ask for help from anyone who might have some granny squares made or would like to make some for my cause. I will put them together and donate them.

I make 4” granny squares in pastel colors. There is no need to weave in the ends, I will take care of that when joining them.

Please pm me if you would like to help. Thank you.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so sorry for your loss SherryLynn I know you will find comfort in this project you have taken into your hands...

What size exactly are you making the blankies???

I might be able to help you by making a couple of blankies for you to donate...

So let me know the size of the blankies nto the squares...

hugs

Lillibet

Okay Sherry Lyn :

Let me see what i can do to help... If this is a on going thing for you I might be able to help you after surgery and recovery and i can get back to crocheting...

If that is alright woth you let me know... and PM me your mailing address and on subject line put premie blankies charity so i can remember

hugs

Lillibet

• 3 weeks later...

Still in the hectic process of getting ready to move, but I haven't forgotten. I found some yarn that I think will be good.

I also wanted to post because I read some stuff on Bev's Country Cottage about tips for preemies. She said that white is the preferred color at her hospital (with accents of blue or pink that represents the baby's sex), because it photographs well and looks better against the baby's skin. She also suggests a yarn that isn't super thin because it might damage the baby's skin or their fingers might become tangled. I didn't want to say anything out of line, but reading that heart breaking article on her site made me feel like I should mention it as something to keep in mind. :hug

Sherry,

I have some yarn left over from another baby project. I made three preemie hats and two squares for you, so far. I will keep making squares until it runs out. If you would like to PM me your addy, I will get them to you as soon as I am finished.

This would be my first crochet for charity donation. How are they usually mailed. Do they need a bubble envelope or just a big manilla one?

Archived