Knit and Natter

I've read about this group several times on the Attic24 blog - does these only exist in England?? If I could afford it, and convince hubs, I would totally move to England just to enjoy the beautiful scenery and their wonderfully funny accents and the Knit and Natter group..

Anyway, how would I find out about "meetings" like this? I asked a rep at our local HL, but HE just looked at me like I was crazy and said "isn't crochet sortof a single person hobby?" so I figured the employees there wouldn't be much help as thats normally the attitude they all have.

Some local yarn shops do just this type of group gathering on a weekly basis. Some also include crocheters and knitters together for lack of members.

I didn't think there were any local yarn shops - only a Michaels and a HL - but I googled it anyway. I found a review for "The Yarn Palette" and the address is less than a mile from my office.:cheer:clap:cheer:clap I took my lunch break and rushed right over there hoping it was the most wonderful beautiful selection of yarn I've ever seen...:c9

WELLLLLLL... apparently the store no longer exists, I did find the building and after finding the doors locked - I leaned in for a little peeky at the yummy yarns only to find an EMPTY BUILDING...:think:eek

Now what?? Anyone near Wichita Falls Texas have any ideas?

Actually the Knit and Natter thing is something most people in the British Isles would probably see as an "American invention" (sometimes they're called Stitch'n'Naughtyword meetings, either.)

Just gather a group of friends up and go to a friendly cafe together or meet at someone's house ... :)

I would check with churches and the local community center, library, etc. to look for any kind of fiberarts group, charity crocheting/knitting groups, etc. Maybe the local art/craft league? Project Linus has chapters in many locations listed on their website.

If there aren't any groups currently meeting in your area, you might be able to put a notice in the newsletter of some of these places, asking for others who'd like to start a group. Or just go to the library and sit and crochet--people will stop and talk to you and some may want to join you!

Our group here is a "stitching" group; since we are in a fairly rural area we didn't want to limit the group to crocheting/knitting, we wanted to be open to any fiber art in order to have a better chance of getting members. I started it by posting here and on Ravelry, asking if anyone in my area wanted to meet. 2 people from Ravelry responded, and now we have about 10 people. We put up a sign on the library bulletin board, and notices on the web sites of the 2 closest LYS, 25 mi. from the town where we meet. Several people joined from each of those notices. Having members who embroider, do fabric collage, etc. is very interesting and inspiring.

Being part of a sttiching group is very rewarding, so if you can't find a group, i would really encourage you to try to start one. there doesn't have to be anything formal at all, just a bunch of people who love to stitch:hook

Actually the Knit and Natter thing is something most people in the British Isles would probably see as an "American invention" (sometimes they're called Stitch'n'Naughtyword meetings, either.)

Just gather a group of friends up and go to a friendly cafe together or meet at someone's house ... :)

That's the main reason I was looking for a group, I don't know a single person who crochets or knits or does anything with yarn... and I've asked ALL my friends if they would want to learn to do it with me and they've all expressed that they aren't interested! :no

That's the main reason I was looking for a group, I don't know a single person who crochets or knits or does anything with yarn... and I've asked ALL my friends if they would want to learn to do it with me and they've all expressed that they aren't interested! :no

I didn't have any friends who stitch either (well, one, but she lives in another state!) until the group got started. I do agree that all you need is people and a place to get together, Like MissCrochet said. First step is finding at least one other person;)

You might try checking with your local library. Our library is always willing to offer space for groups to meet. They are also good about starting learning groups if there is someone who will give classes in such things as crochet, knitting, scrapbooking, tatting and so on.

I agree, it is hard to find a crochet group. I tried the map suggested and the little yarn shop in the town I live by didn't even show up- LOL. I just may check at our satellite library and maybe there is something listed there.

I used to belong to a beading group and we got together every 2 weeks. It was fun while it lasted.

Hope you find a group.

I thought Stitch'NBitch existed in every remote corner of the US.

In Europe there are lots of them, often with the US name.

As "stitch" doesn't equal "knit" we find no reason to exclude any craft.

I tried the map suggested and the little yarn shop in the town I live by didn't even show up-

I believe you can add to Knitmap http://www.knitmap.com/locations/new

Sweaterbabe also has a shop directory http://www.sweaterbabe.com/directory.php

As "stitch" doesn't equal "knit" we find no reason to exclude any craft.

:cheer Yay for that line of thinking!:clap

The group I belong to in Maryland meets in a Borders Bookstore in the Seattle Cafe section. There is another group that meets at Ikea! So try different venues,some groups do only want knitters but they tend to be guild people. I like that the group I belong to has different fiber crafts,I'm even learning to spin! :D

I would check with churches and the local community center, library, etc. to look for any kind of fiberarts group, charity crocheting/knitting groups, etc. Maybe the local art/craft league? Project Linus has chapters in many locations listed on their website. /quote]

Great suggestions, especially the library.

You could also do a search for your area on a web site called "meet up" (http://www.meetup.com/). You enter your interests and it looks for groups that meet that criteria.

There is also a site called knitmap (http://www.knitmap.com/) again you put in a location and it finds all the yarn shops in a certain radius. You can also map out yarn crawls. It is a lot of fun.

Last but not least, check in the yahoo groups to see if your county has a group and see if there are any listings or calender items there for yarnies.

these groups are definitely out there. I was shopping in michaels one day and comparing colors of yarn...trying to decide when another lady approached and asked me what I was making. she took out a card and wrote the info of a group that meets locally...I had never heard of them. they spread the news by word of mouth and don't advertise. I just happen to be in the right place to meet her.

you could also start your own group! maybe at a local coffee shop or something...find something family owned and ask about a morning opening...if they have room they would probably love the regular business

I used to attend a group here called KFC (knit, crochet and fellowship) that was organized by a lady from church who had the space to do it in her home. our church in Hawaii had one called "crafty ladies" that I loved and the church let us meet there.

yep! they are definitely out there...juat ask around

Archived