Found these today at the thrift store

There's usually lots of blankets/afghans for sale, but they're usually well-used and pretty shabby looking or (awful) out-dated colors. I found these two today and both look brand-new. I don't think they were made with cheap acrylic, they didn't feel like the afghans I've made with RHSS when I pulled them out of the wash. The baby one is double stranded pink and white and is so soft and squishy. The blue one is done so nicely--I made a similar one for my one daughter and this one looks so much more solid. It even has a "Handmade by..." personalized tag with the maker's name stitched in. The baby one cost $1.50 and the larger one cost $2.50 :cry. I felt almost guilty buying them, considering I could make them myself, and now they won't be there for someone else...I know that's silly. At least I appreciate the work that someone put into them, and if they were a discarded gift, then at least they'll be used now.

DSCF0727.jpg

DSCF0728.jpg

They are really nice though. What you could do is copy the pattern and make more, by just following what they did. I've done that before. I've bought potholders just looked at it and was able to follow what they did.

Carol:hook

Sad thing to find someone discarded such beautiful afghans! I love the blue one.

My Mom was going to put a lapghan my Grandma made for her in a garage sale, but I rescued it. Its at least 30 years old now and I still love it.

:turtle:vheart

Wow, I could never part with a handmade gift like that. I still have afghans that my grandmother made for me in 1978. To me, those types of things are heirlooms, and meant to be passed down through the generations. Now you can give them a new purpose.

I'm glad you got them and will use them and love them. Most of the ones I've seen at the thrift stores are as you stated in your original post, well used with very dated colors. Great save! :-)

Most of the handmade stuff I find in Thrift Stores is either poorly made or doesn't look very good either because of color, or the design itself. What I like to find in Stores is good yarn that doesn't feel too scratchy. Once I found not only a pattern book intended for doll clothing and accessories, but also a pattern book that contained a pattern very similar to an afghan that I remember having around from the very earliest I can remember, plus an unused skein of the same color/brand Yarn I am using for the afghan I am making my mother.

Most of the handmade stuff I find in Thrift Stores is either poorly made or doesn't look very good either because of color, or the design itself. What I like to find in Stores is good yarn that doesn't feel too scratchy. Once I found not only a pattern book intended for doll clothing and accessories, but also a pattern book that contained a pattern very similar to an afghan that I remember having around from the very earliest I can remember, plus an unused skein of the same color/brand Yarn I am using for the afghan I am making my mother.

Great find! I grew up with a brown/yellow/orange afghan (70's child LOL), and know I know from pictures that it was a ripple. I think once I get through my WIP I'd like to try to recreate it...for sentimental reasons since I have no idea whatever happened to the original. I guess it got packed away or thrown away because of the outdated colors. I've since made my parents new afghans to replace that one :).

Those are beautiful, I especially love the blue one. And you shouldn't feel guilty for "rescuing" them. At least they are in a home where they will be loved and appreciated.

LI Roe

Archived