Towel topper help please

Lollie2639

Question

OK

I have some nice easy patterns for towel toppers but here is my question....

Do you first have to go along the top edge of the towel and poke holes with something, THAN go back and crochet through them?????????? What do you use....a paper hole puncher...ice pick???

Thanks...please let me know since I am ready to make some. I bought some precious kitchen towels.

THanks a:hug gain

12 answers to this question

My mom used to make them when I was younger, and she cut the towels in half, so she could make two from each towel. Then she serged the raw end or hemmed it. When she completed the towel topper she sewed in onto the towel.

Of course you probably could use a smaller hook to poke through the towel and attach it right on at the start. Was that any help??:think

I usually hem the towel (either by hand or with my sewing machine), then use a C hook and the same yarn for the topper and crochet right into the towel at even spaces across. I just poke the hook through and crochet right through it. Then I just switch to a "regular" hook (G/H/I) for the rest of the topper.

If you do it that way, be sure to space your stitches far enough apart in the towel (about 1/4") so that when you use the larger hook your stitches aren't too close together!

I make alot of these for craft shows. I have never cut the towels, prefer to use the whole towel. I fold it in half, and pin across the top so it stays folded right. I use a knitting needle to poke the holes for crocheting as I go along. Since i am poking through 2 towel sides, the knitting needle is stronger than using a hook to poke the holes with. I used a hook when I first started making these too, and actually bent and broke a hook!

Deb

finally cooler WI

I make alot of these for craft shows. I have never cut the towels, prefer to use the whole towel. I fold it in half, and pin across the top so it stays folded right. I use a knitting needle to poke the holes for crocheting as I go along. Since i am poking through 2 towel sides, the knitting needle is stronger than using a hook to poke the holes with. I used a hook when I first started making these too, and actually bent and broke a hook!

Deb

finally cooler WI

No kidding?! That's crazy.

My Aunt apparently uses towels that are looser than the rest of you use, she just crochets right into the towel poking the holes with the hook she's using to make the topper.

I cut the towel in half and use my sewing machine to zig zag over the top (usually folded over, but not if really good quality towel). Then I use an awl to poke the holes. If you go to my old crochet blog, you can see a photo of one in the archives somewhere. Typically purchased at hardware stores for poking holes in leather. MUCH MUCH safer than scissors or a knife. I use a smaller crochet hook to crochet through the holes, then move up to the larger one.

As a very cheap alternative, I used a double nail system. One small one to poke the hole and a large nail to make it big enough to crochet through it.

Hi

I'm working on these towel toppers too and i don't sew, so what i did was cut my towel in half and and fold a bit of the ragged edge over and i have a small pair of my mom's scissors from when she was a seamstress and they are very pointy and sharp and i poke holes in that seam as i go along and crochet a sc in each hole across....depending on the quality of towel, i can put in up to 65 sc stitches. I hope this helps as I like these, and I've been making kitchen sets for ppl here and I include 2 towel toppers, two dish cloths, two hot pads, and two scrubbie/dishclothes.

XOXO

rori

I never cut my towels in half. I always fold them in half as it makes it a thicker towel for me to wipe my hands on.

When I use waffleweave towels, I use a steel hook to poke the holes.

When I use heavier towels, I use an ice pick.

I usually hem the towel (either by hand or with my sewing machine), then use a C hook and the same yarn for the topper and crochet right into the towel at even spaces across. I just poke the hook through and crochet right through it. Then I just switch to a "regular" hook (G/H/I) for the rest of the topper.

If you do it that way, be sure to space your stitches far enough apart in the towel (about 1/4") so that when you use the larger hook your stitches aren't too close together!

I'd do it this way too! Poking holes on the towel ain't fun, but I like the result better than sewing a finished topper on the towel...:hook

Archived