Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still attaching squares... I had to buy more black yarn as I was out and needed more to do saltines for my ATW. I will likely be starting to make sqaures again soon - and will attach more of them as I go along this time - but I don't mind since the saltines ewre made while travelling and I did got a bunch done that way :D

Off to sew on a few more squares before I head off to the gym and the office. Have a great day everyone :manyheart

Hi ladies. :) I've already been outside watering and feeding the birds...and it's 88 degrees at 7 a.m. :eek No signs of any armadillo damage, so maybe those granules really work. (She says with fingers crossed.)

Wendy, you are welcome! Wow, that got there fast...I hope everything made it okay. :hook

Hi Karen ~ You know we're looking forward to another picture. :yes

Valerie, I hope you get some crochet time soon. :hug

Hi Miss Tracy. Thanks for the info on the yarn winder - I need to get one, too. :yarn

Time for the treadmill, laundry and crochet time later. :) Have a great morning/evening everyone.

Good morning ladies :flower

Wow! I'm up and it's still morning :lol

Wendy - You're making great progress on that cat ghan :clap

Tracy - I've been thinking of getting a yarn winder :yes 90% of the yarn I use is from pull skeins so it's not necessary. But using cotton and the Vanna's Choice it would come in mighty handy :yes

Mary - Hasn't this last month or so been brutal this year? :sweat We get a bit of a break tomorrow it says. Only 91 degrees but t-storms all day which could be bad.

Think I'm gonna do some more work on my last HIJ package before time to wake the husband :hook

For those considering a ball winder, do a search on a nostepinde - you can use ANYTHING to do it with, and it's not difficult to get the hang of it.

I don't like center pull cakes, because they always collapse once you've use up most of the insides, and you have to wind them into a ball anyway. I prefer center pull skeins, and then I wind into a ball and use that up. Less work in the long run.

For those considering a ball winder, do a search on a nostepinde - you can use ANYTHING to do it with, and it's not difficult to get the hang of it.

I don't like center pull cakes, because they always collapse once you've use up most of the insides, and you have to wind them into a ball anyway. I prefer center pull skeins, and then I wind into a ball and use that up. Less work in the long run.

Oh I could use that. I wind balls the same way but use an empty toilet paper roll as a spindle :lol

Cara - I use a dowel, wooden rulers, kids' toys, anything I can lay my hands on that is the right size.

with the cakes I make with my yarn winder I use the wrapper from the skein and put it around the cake to keep it together.

Both good ideas :yes The picture of a nostepinde that I saw looks kind of like a small table leg. Wonder if that would work too? :think

Wendy - they call those "yarn bras" here.

Cara - I think a table leg would be too fat. However, the spindle that goes horizontally on a chair might be just the right size... :yes I would just get a 1/2" dowel, make it about 10" long, then sand the one end down a little bit to make it taper on the last 5" or so, then polish it up with beeswax or something. You could also make it so that the handle part was flattened a bit (squared off) so that you could turn it easier.

I've been meaning to do that, but there's always something else taking up my time.

Wendy - they call those "yarn bras" here.

Cara - I think a table leg would be too fat. However, the spindle that goes horizontally on a chair might be just the right size... :yes I would just get a 1/2" dowel, make it about 10" long, then sand the one end down a little bit to make it taper on the last 5" or so, then polish it up with beeswax or something. You could also make it so that the handle part was flattened a bit (squared off) so that you could turn it easier.

I've been meaning to do that, but there's always something else taking up my time.

I'll show the photo to BD. He's a genius with things like that :yes

I'm curious? Do you need to reach a certain level to post photos? I didn't see that as one of the privileges you obtain at villager status (which you should be given how long you've been here and how many posts you have). Are you having difficulty posting photos? Can we help?

Joyce

Thanks so much for the offer. I was very confused:think, as I am accustomed to photos being called attachments (granted, I am not the most technically savvy :2blush, but I'll get it, eventually). I spent a bunch of time with the Help Forum, and I think i have photos figured out. Thanks for the push to figure out what I am doing :hug. I'll take a photo and get it posted this afternoon.

Hi Ladies. :)

Dusti ~ You are doing great on Just Ducky. :hook We used to live in the country and it took me 45 minutes to get to the closest grocery store!

Yes, that sounds familiar. Only 25 minutes to the grocery store, here :)

Hi Mary. I started the sixth row, but I have a baby set I have to complete before the games (or largely complete) so Ducky will probably go on the back burner until the end of August. But I LOVE watching it come together.

Joyce

I am REALLY having fun with my Ducky. Like you, it is great to see it taking shape. Good luck with your baby set. Are you doing a sweater/hat set? Or, something else?

Dusti 2 hrs from the nearest shop thats what we call living in the woop woop. :lol Dont ask why we say that.:lol

:rofl It's definitely living 'somewhere.' Mum calls it, "The end of the earth.":lol

Hello All,

A very trying day. I'm going to bed. Just wanted to say hello to those that are still lurking. I have to open...it's truck day. Will check back in later on this evening.

Hope you're doing alright Val, and that work went smoothly.

Sun is shining, and I have to paint some baseboard molding strips. Shouldn't take too long, then I can work on a few more saltines out on the deck.

Talk to you all, later.

Thanks so much for the offer. I was very confused:think, as I am accustomed to photos being called attachments (granted, I am not the most technically savvy :2blush, but I'll get it, eventually). I spent a bunch of time with the Help Forum, and I think i have photos figured out. Thanks for the push to figure out what I am doing :hug. I'll take a photo and get it posted this afternoon.

I am REALLY having fun with my Ducky. Like you, it is great to see it taking shape. Good luck with your baby set. Are you doing a sweater/hat set? Or, something else?

I'm glad that you found the tutorials. Don't blush, it took me a while to get it all figured out and I do a lot work on computers with posting multi-media types of stuff. Trick is getting photobucket to cooperate sometimes. I haven't tried posting from any other photo hosting site. Can't wait to see your pic.

I am making a sweater/hat/booties to match the blankie. I decided to do the BICO sweater and found the cutest mary jane booties and hat. After that, and if I have time, I want to do a bib or two and maybe wash cloths. The host of the baby shower told the mom I was making a blanket so now I feel compelled to go one step further so she's surprised.

Joyce

Hi everyone. It's sooo quiet here today. :yes I'm pretty well caught up for now and am going to crochet for a while.

DD is in Frankfurt, Germany for the week (work related) and just called. She has had quite a bit of sightseeing time and says it's just beautiful there.

Mary - 23 solids thanks.

Added! I'm getting ready to add lots of squares for Wendy, Tracy and Linda T. during the games. :cheer

I'm glad that you found the tutorials. Don't blush, it took me a while to get it all figured out and I do a lot work on computers with posting multi-media types of stuff. Trick is getting photobucket to cooperate sometimes. I haven't tried posting from any other photo hosting site. Can't wait to see your pic.

You may be sorry you encouraged me, but here are my photos.

th_JustDuckyQuilt-ghanhalf-way.jpg

th_07-18Close-upPinkGingham.jpg

th_07-18PinkGinghamQuilt-ghan.jpg

Photo Bucket worked like a charm for me this afternoon, and I am anxious to see if the pics post well.

I am making a sweater/hat/booties to match the blankie. I decided to do the BICO sweater and found the cutest mary jane booties and hat. After that, and if I have time, I want to do a bib or two and maybe wash cloths. The host of the baby shower told the mom I was making a blanket so now I feel compelled to go one step further so she's surprised.

Joyce

Ooh, good luck finishing the baby layette. My SIL received the cutest crocheted mary janes when her daughter was born last year, but I did not get a chance to look at them close enough, to see if I could figure out how to do them, myself. Your presents are going to be so welcoming for the new babe.

Painting is finished, and I want to take my yarn out to the deck to make a few more saltines before dinner-time. It's been unusually quiet here, today. Hope everyone is having a good one! :hook

Ok I need help... I cannot use the burgandy and cream... it is too heavy and bothers my hands to work with it... I've been going through my yarn... I have a lot of red and a lot of white.... several 8 oz skeins of blue (country ,navy, medium).... 2 10oz skeins of jet stream which is a blue purple dark varigated,... 1 pounder in light lavendar... lots of 8 oz skeins in pinks, yellow, greens I don't know what to do... I was thinking of doing it in red and white and navy blue... do you think that would look alright ?

Dusti~They're both wonderful! :yay I love the pinks you used for the gingham. Thanks for sharing...and we can never see too many pictures. :hook

Thanks, Mary. I used Lion Brand Baby Soft, and did not think about the gauge too much. It was not until I was finished, that I went back to read the pattern and realized that my squares were supposed to be 2-1/2-inches. Hmmmm :think I used an H hook, and my saltines are about 1-1/4 inches square. Oh well. Babies are small, right? :rofl The blanket is definitely large enough to keep an infant cozy in the car seat or stroller, but it is not too good for putting down on the floor for tummy time. The next one will be larger! I am using a K hook, and my squares are almost 2-1/2 inches each. I must pull the yarn waaaaay too tight as I crochet... :ideaNote to self: pay attention to gauge in the future.

Archived