Guess What?

I get to teach crochet!!:hook!!!!! How cool is that? Let me start in the beginning. Last year in October, I was invited by a friend to a GNO. Girls Night Out. It is craft related. They were all doing scrapbooking, but I brought hairbow making supplies and some crochet I was working on. It took place at the Senior Center, (none of us are or were senoirs, but the center lets the GNO ladies use their big room to have their meeting, all they ask is that we each donate something to the center, like coffee or creamer or sugar or tea) :tea

So the lady who runs the center needed an assistant ASAP.(she crochets too) My friend introduced us and I got an interview. I really needed a job at that time too. All 3 of my kids birthdays are with in 3 weeks of CHristmas. Well, I did not get the job, there was someone more qualified who did.

The director of the senior center and I have stayed in touch and she asked me today if I could teach a crochet class at the center to newbies and beginners! :hookWOOHOO!!!!!:woo !!! My first teaching class instead of just one person at a time! Wow! Thank you Jesus! This is so neat. I get to teach something I love to do! It's voluntary, so no pay, but I get the enjoyment of sharing my craft with people who want to learn and people who need something in their life to do. Elderly people can be lonely, going for days with out someone to talk to, and this class at the senoir center will be a community reachout to give them something to do as well as make friends at the center and community. :U Their ages are mostly in the 70's - 90's, probably some younger people too. The ages of the people in the class will be all different ages, as some other volunteers/staff will want to learn too.

I'm really looking forward to this. It won't be until May, after I finish this semester, but that will give me time to finish finals and get myself organized. I think I will start off with very simple squares that can be sewn together to make other things, like blankets, hats, scarves, ect. and anything else the director wants me to teach. My slippers (on my blog, Sweet Slipper on Ravelry) would be a good thing too because it is all hdc sts. Yay! :hook

Oh, I'm so happy for you! That sounds like so much fun! You can pass on your love of the craft, and maybe make some new friends while you are at it. Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

Congratulations Heart! Your joy for this wonderful craft and desire to share will surely brighten these seniors' lives, and you'll no doubt get so much out of the experience as well -Way to go! :h5

Congratulations! You're going to have so much fun! Let us know how it goes, take pictures of your class to post for us. I would love to do something like that!

Thanks everyone! I thought about having about 3 different items completed and my own patterns written up to teach, (square, simple market bag, and maybe a dishrag?) because there will be different levels of experience. So I can start the newbies on something very basic and give the people who know a little bit something to start on as well, answering questions as I go for the first few minutes, then actually begin with the simpliest thing and demonstrate myself slowly, so they can have hook and yarn in hand and work as I work. So that everyone gets their questions answered as they need them answered and when the first group feels confident, I can begin with the next group. Maybe just 2 projects a beginner and a newbie. What do you think? This would be very informal, but may be a more one on one approach with people who may be shy or confused. I want everyone to leave feeling like they had a good time, made a few friends and learned something too. :D

Congrats on teaching a class. That's exciting. :cheer Even though it's on a volunteer basis, it looks good on your resume. :yes

I get to teach crochet!!:hook!!!!! How cool is that? Let me start in the beginning. Last year in October, I was invited by a friend to a GNO. Girls Night Out. It is craft related. They were all doing scrapbooking, but I brought hairbow making supplies and some crochet I was working on. It took place at the Senior Center, (none of us are or were senoirs, but the center lets the GNO ladies use their big room to have their meeting, all they ask is that we each donate something to the center, like coffee or creamer or sugar or tea) :tea

So the lady who runs the center needed an assistant ASAP.(she crochets too) My friend introduced us and I got an interview. I really needed a job at that time too. All 3 of my kids birthdays are with in 3 weeks of CHristmas. Well, I did not get the job, there was someone more qualified who did.

The director of the senior center and I have stayed in touch and she asked me today if I could teach a crochet class at the center to newbies and beginners! :hookWOOHOO!!!!!:woo !!! My first teaching class instead of just one person at a time! Wow! Thank you Jesus! This is so neat. I get to teach something I love to do! It's voluntary, so no pay, but I get the enjoyment of sharing my craft with people who want to learn and people who need something in their life to do. Elderly people can be lonely, going for days with out someone to talk to, and this class at the senoir center will be a community reachout to give them something to do as well as make friends at the center and community. :U Their ages are mostly in the 70's - 90's, probably some younger people too. The ages of the people in the class will be all different ages, as some other volunteers/staff will want to learn too.

I'm really looking forward to this. It won't be until May, after I finish this semester, but that will give me time to finish finals and get myself organized. I think I will start off with very simple squares that can be sewn together to make other things, like blankets, hats, scarves, ect. and anything else the director wants me to teach. My slippers (on my blog, Sweet Slipper on Ravelry) would be a good thing too because it is all hdc sts. Yay! :hook

Archived