Shopping in the Basement

Several years ago my husband cleaned out a good deal of our unfinished basement and convinced me to move my crochet patterns and yarn down there. This didn't keep me from buying more patterns and more yarn. I knew there were about 8 large plastic bins of miscellaneous yarn down there, but what might else be there had long been forgotten. Then my son left for college about 2 1/2 years ago and more patterns and more yarn were stored in his room...bags and bags of yarn under his bed. Out of sight, out of mind, of course.:lol

Over the past several weeks I was looking for some crochet stuff that I knew I had but couldn't find in my "active" stash, so I started shopping in the basement and under beds. So far I have catalogued 5 large bags contained already started full-size afghans (anywhere from 10% to 80% completed), 5 more large bags of yarn with the patterns for other full-size afghans, 3 bags with yarn with patterns for sweaters or vests, enough cotton yarn for 12 dozen dish clothes (really), enough worsted weight yarn and scraps for at least 3 full-size scrap afghans, enough misc. yarn to give a scarf to every homeless person in our local shelter next holiday season, enough baby yarn to make an afghan for every newborn at our local hospital, AND MORE. :eek

It's actually scary how much I have, and because it wasn't all in bags carefully closed, now I have to go around matching up dye lots and such so it is all useable again. I need to join every crochet-along there is: WIPs, UFOs, stash-busting, etc., :D

Moral of the story: do not hide your yarn or your patterns. And when you need more, shop the "basement sale".

lol..

I too have been yarn shopping in my own house.

don't have that much!! but did work up a nice hand bag. and some slippers

Hi Donna!

Wow! That is a lot of yarn! I have been trying to use up my stash but.....I originally started with one bag of yarn and now am up to two cupboards and two dressers...eesh! I should join a CAL.

LeeAnn from Southern CO

:lol That is too funny! "Out of sight, out of mind" was never more true. My problem, when I "shop" in my basement is I still feel the need go to the stores for more. Be strong and bust that enormous stash!

I don't have a basement to shop in, can I come to your,lol? Seriously, I try to organize my yarn in either clear plastic totes, or the plastic bags comforters come in. I have them separated into color groups and partly by yarn type. That way I ways know exactly what I have.

(grabs her purse) whoooo can i shop in your basment? lol,

I have a realy tiny stash lol, it consist of 2 boxes that packs of printer paper were once in. and 2 more boxes that Things we orderd online came in. but only mabey 1 box of it is wwhere i put the extra skanes For the 2 blakets Im working on. the rest is Scrap's or single colors of skanes I only have 1 of.

I realy need to get more LOL,, I'm planning on cleanig out the unpacked boxes in my closet (been in my house 4 yrs). and Throwing out things i do not need and turning the walk in INTO my own lil craft closet.. and mabey someday I will have a BIG stash:) that is my hope :)

(grabs her purse) whoooo can i shop in your basment? lol,

I have a realy tiny stash lol, it consist of 2 boxes that packs of printer paper were once in. and 2 more boxes that Things we orderd online came in. but only mabey 1 box of it is wwhere i put the extra skanes For the 2 blakets Im working on. the rest is Scrap's or single colors of skanes I only have 1 of.

I realy need to get more LOL,, I'm planning on cleanig out the unpacked boxes in my closet (been in my house 4 yrs). and Throwing out things i do not need and turning the walk in INTO my own lil craft closet.. and mabe someday I will have a BIG stash:) that is my hope :)

Oh that would be lovely!. I would love to have a walk-in closet with lots of shelves and bins for yarn. Maybe a section of different size shelves and binders or file folders for pattern booklets, magazines, hard and soft cover books, etc. And of course various baskets for hook/needle/notions storage. Also a section for various stages of WIPs as well as storage for finished projects that for whatever reason don't have a new home. Sadly, I don't have a walk in available and I think hubby might mind just a little if I completely take over the master bedroom closet, lol. He complains I don't give him enough space as it is.:D

Oh that would be lovely!. I would love to have a walk-in closet with lots of shelves and bins for yarn. Maybe a section of different size shelves and binders or file folders for pattern booklets, magazines, hard and soft cover books, etc. And of course various baskets for hook/needle/notions storage. Also a section for various stages of WIPs as well as storage for finished projects that for whatever reason don't have a new home. Sadly, I don't have a walk in available and I think hubby might mind just a little if I completely take over the master bedroom closet, lol. He complains I don't give him enough space as it is.:D

But that's what the basement is for - one HUGE walk-in closet! I'm working on the same thing as Donna. Moving yarn to the basement in bins, organized on shelves. Taking out the UFO's to finish. My son's old room is now the guest/craft room. I have pattern books & binders on a bookshelf in there. I won't allow myself to outgrow the shelf (yeah, right) I'm in the Christmas Carol CAL & I promised myself I'd shop in my stash. Just got an invitation to a 50th anniversary next month & I want to make a jacket, which will use up more of the stash. I just hope DH doesn't surprise me with more yarn & no one shows up on my doorstep with bags of abandoned yarn. Wait! What am I saying??!! :lol

I have to say I am rather proud of myself, I have made my way through a lot of stashed yarn this past year and it actually feels kind of freeing. Most of my stash was inherited from family friends and my Mom after she passed so I felt obligated to use it. Now I can focus more on yarn that I choose to work with. I also did a lot of clean out on my other craft supplies so my office/craft room got a complete make over and I was able to add a open storage system for my yarn! I can now see what I actually have to work with rather than digging through buckets and bags, love it!

Archived