Great Gramma's Memory 'ghan

Cabbagepatch_Kris

So a couple of weeks ago my mom approached me with a bag containing a bunch on "granny" squares (basically hdc over and over and all different sizes)

She explained how before my grandmother passed in Oct. the last thing she crocheted were these and she had intended to make a baby blanket out of them and my mom wanted me to finish it and give it to my daughter.

well after a week of trying to envision what my gramma had in mind and some lets say interesting colour choices this is what I came up with. I didn't feel a disembodied smack on the back of my head when I was done so I guess that means my gramma likes it too. lol.

and I don't know about anyone else but I like purple and red together.

post-34141-135897503949_thumb.jpg

:manyheart It's so nice that you were able to use the last thing she crocheted. I know it is special to you just because of that very fact. Awhile back a friend found some granny squares in a garage sale, and the lady running it told her they were what her mother was working on when she died. Of course my friend couldn't leave them there, and bought the bag of them for only a couple dollars and then brought them to me. I put them together for her into a lap blanket that she uses at work daily. It breaks my heart to think somebody was working on a project and it would never be finished or enjoyed by anybody when they died before finishing.

Enjoy your beautiful blanket, and I'm sure your Grandmother is smiling today! :hug

How wonderful that you were able to finish it! My grandmother left me an unfinished blanket with my name on it and instructions to finish it. Almost 9 years ago and I still can't bear to open the box......I'm afraid it would just be full of tears and snot by the time I got it done and no one wants to see that!:(

:hookColleen

• 2 weeks later...
No reason for you to feel a disembodied smack on the back of your head it's a wonderful afghan and I'm sure your grandmother is delighted as it's beautiful.

true enough...... lol.. but well she was a very umm whats the word?? "blunt" woman.

thnx tho

Very nice. It would have been such a priviledge to work on something my grandmother had made. You are so special to have this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
How wonderful that you were able to finish it! My grandmother left me an unfinished blanket with my name on it and instructions to finish it. Almost 9 years ago and I still can't bear to open the box......I'm afraid it would just be full of tears and snot by the time I got it done and no one wants to see that!:(

:hookColleen

Oh! You'll feel so much better when you do finish it. DO IT!!!

What a wonderful project she left for you to finish! I would have felt it was an honor to finish anything that my mom or grandmother had left for me to do. Alas, neither of them left anything.... It's a lovely project & the memories will last forever.

Archived