Destashing this Holiday

My stash was simply out growing the storage space so this year I was determined to use up as much as possible for making gifts for Christmas. Well, I am so pleased that I only fell off the "abstinence from buying yarn wagon" once or twice. Everyone on my gift list received at least one crocheted item and all the friends, family and fellow worker exchanges consisted of crocheted items on my end. I made lots of one and two skein items like hoodie scarves, long wrap scarves, fingerless gloves, ornaments, quick-ghans, hats, bookmarks, small totes and gathered top bags, and other small items. I did finish up four shawls and one poncho also. Now my guilt about after Christmas yarn sale shopping can be pushed to the back of my mind....LOL.

What have you all been doing to destash over the holidays?

Well I have been crocheting kitty beds and doggie mats and toys out of scrap yarn and odd balls that have been given to me so this is good...

I also made gifts from odd skeins of yarns i've made scarfs and made some other small items to give as gifts to hospital staff and doctors office staff and eye doctors office staff and even to our bank staff ...

I just love to spread cheer in the holiday season...

Its so nice to give a hand made gift and see a smile on some ones face....

So this is good...

hugs

I'm impressed papersmiles! I have the hardest time using up my stash....the yarn isle always calls to me! I'm really hoping the stashbusting CAL next year will help me!

jenniferelyse74 - Why not make some toys for when the babies are going home or the older children at the hospital with darker colors? Teddy Bears can be any color... :)

I have been working all year on trying to use up some of my huge stash. I have made hats and scarves for my family for this Christmas. I have also been making hats and scarves for my church's clothes closet. All of this has been out of my stash. And there is still plenty of stash left. So again in 2010 I am going to use up as much as my stash as I possibly can. I have joined the Boxing Day CAL to make hats and scarves for 2010 and plan on making my Christmas 2010 Christmas presents out of my stash also. I only bought yarn twice this past year. Both purchases were cotton yarn as I wanted to expand my stash of cotton yarn. The overwhelming majority of my stash is acrylic. So I too plan on destashing for 2010.

What is this "destashing" thing you speak of? :lol Seriously, I've been pretty good lately, even though I've still been buying yarn here and there. I recently started to add different fibers to my stash - wools, alpaca, etc. I can't go crazy buying those because they're kind of expensive, even on sale. Not like when acrylic goes on sale for 2 bucks a skein or cotton for a dollar, that's for sure. This year I found myself with a huge stash of acrylic yarns but I wasn't very inspired to work with them so of course I had to buy more yarn. LOL! I did manage quite a few gifts this year, mostly for my niece. She just squeals with delight every time I make her something and that's the best payback of all. :)

I didn't destash--SweetPea65 did, by bringing me some of her stash. Six boxes worth!! SweetPea65 likes the baby yarn for the chemo caps she makes, but she knows I like to make teen-sized Project Linus blankets, so she decided to pass on some of her yard sale bought yarn to me. She's too, too generous! But it did ruin my stashbusting CAL score for the week (I won!). I'm deciding if I want to stashbust again next year--I'm so embarrassed when I get scores of -124! :blush Thank you, SweetPea65! First on the agenda with her yarn: the crochet tree of life (see CAL for this beautiful blanlet).

Patty

Archived