How do you use thread scraps and tails?

Okay maybe I'm a big Scrooge but I just can't make myself throw away all the 'tails' that are left after my projects. I collect them in a box in case that I may need them but I haven't figured out for what I may need them.

Any idea? Do you collect the remaining threads? What do you use them for? Doll hair maybe? Anything else?

threads.jpg

pic related

In the spring I put bigger pieces outside by our bird feeders and the birds take them and use them in their nests. Sometime we have some very colorful nests. I can't remember where I read this hint at. The smaller one I do throw away.

Well there are many things you can do with your scraps..

If they are worsted weight yarn you can make afghans or you can make scrappy colorfull tote bag , amigurumi toys, etc etc etc..

If its thread you use like to make doilies etc maybe you would make butterflies and add magnet to the backs and make fridgies or even book marks

If you look around here in the ville you wuill find that many of us use our scrap yarns lots...

I hope this helps

hugs

I use mine to tie tags onto squares that I make for my 63 square afghan to number them so I know where to place them when I join them. But most I just throw away. I have read that you can put them out for birds to use for nesting. I have also heard of people using them as stuffing for stuffed animals, dolls and amigurumis.

I tie my tails/four inches to six inches /together leaving about an inch tie.do not work in ends, but leave all the ends on one side....becomes furry...then crochet a granny square solid to the desired size.....usually about seven rounds.....make another square with larger pieces of leftover yarn the same size....crochet almost around, leaving an opening large enough to fit your hand in.....becomes a duster mitt..really good for mini-blinds. you can also make enough squares to sew together as a bath mat. I have used mainly the tails from sewing afghans together. make one round of a granny square...unravel and measure,,for me two arm lengths....same with second or third rounds....I have a kleenex box of grannies daughters and add more rounds when I have yarn and time you always have squares for a scrap ghan,tote bag or whatever

In the spring I put bigger pieces outside by our bird feeders and the birds take them and use them in their nests. Sometime we have some very colorful nests. I can't remember where I read this hint at. The smaller one I do throw away.

Wow! That's a cool idea! I love birds very much and will think about saving the yarn scraps for their nests. A pity they're not clever enough to use tiny afghans for their nests too :)

I use some scraps as stitch markers too and I also like the idea of making scrapghans, thanks craftconnie1 I think that's a great use for longer tails. Moomooo I like your idea about making magnets too. Gotta try it :)

i use mine for crafts for my 2 yr old. used some the other day. we made popsicle stick ornaments and used a scrap to tie on as the hanger.

i think you could use it for other crafts like if you make a horse, you could glue scraps down for the mane/tail. glue to paper to make a bird nest for a spring craft. things like that.

i gave a ziploc bag to our local library and she uses them for kids crafts too.

crazycrochet - I put out yarn scraps for the birds and they never take them. I wonder why?? What is the usual approx. length you put out for them?

bailey

Sounds like usual bird attitude to me. You see - I've made a new feeder and hanged it on a bush where there used to be lots of birds. And they don't visit it! Burds don't visit a bird feeder! Looks like they prefer food from McDonalds and don't care about healthy pearl barley and oats. *sigh*

Have been giving the birds my ends for years. I find that the neutral or darker colors are what the birds take in the spring. They don't take bright colors!!!! The darker colors blend in with their nests and don't bring attention to their "homes". This way they are safer from the enemies that want their eggs or babies.

I put out pieces no longer than 2 inches long and separate or "shred" the yarn piece into strands. This way it is easier for them to pick it up and carry.

I also put strands around the birdfeeder, birdbath and hang some in their "favorite" tree, where they all seem to hang out. The area looks strange to say the least at that time of year, but after a bit I clean it all up and they are on their own.

Come fall, when the leaves are down I have gone around to inspect the visible nests and definitely found pieces of yarn I gave them. I feel good that the babies had a warm and soft nest to grow in.

i have a question about putting yarn out for bird nests. since it's acrylic...isn't that like littering? because once the nest falls to the ground, won't it just be laying on the ground forever since it won't biodegrade?

that's the first thing that came to my mind when reading about it.

Well, I've put out bright colors and pieces longer than 2" so maybe that is why they turn up their beaks at it. I guess I thought they would want longer pieces, the more to weave in.

And no, I never gave a thought that this would be littering.

This past season I saw a robin weaving in strands of a blue plastic rope - where the bird found the rope I have no idea.

bailey

Archived