How does one submit a design for publishing

yarnlover66

Question

I'm just curious about how people go about submitting a pattern to be published? Has anyone done that and how does the process work? Also, what does it pay? I have thought about giving this a try. Can some one fill me in?

11 answers to this question

You first need a list of crochet publishers or magazines. You go to their website, contact them and ask for information on how to publish through them. They'll give you all the information that you need. Everyone is different. Also, magazines and leaflets do things differently. The leaflet publishers usually give you 2 options. One is to buy the pattern from you with one price. (magazines do this, too) That is for people who don't have enough to fill a book. Second is they give you an initial payment, then you get a certain percentage of sales after so many sales of the book.

Good luck!

I did this for the first time recently! I just emailed the editor of Crochet Fantasy magazine a photo of some of my crochet. She emailed me back with which she would like for the magazine and how much they would pay for each item (between $50 and $300 depending on difficulty).

Usually, you can find on their website their terms for designers.

The summer issue of Crochet Fantasy had all the info about what kind of material they want and how to submit it. It's on pages 94 and 95. It would be nice if all publishers did this. They probably wouldn't have to field as many questions if people at least knew the basics of their requirements.

I did this for the first time recently! I just emailed the editor of Crochet Fantasy magazine a photo of some of my crochet. She emailed me back with which she would like for the magazine and how much they would pay for each item (between $50 and $300 depending on difficulty).

Usually, you can find on their website their terms for designers.

hi ive been dealing with crochet world for about 10 yrs now they pay between $40-300 per depending on the project

also email or write to magizines and request a copy of their submission and designer guidelines and a design calender that will outline everything they are looking for

hope this helps

good luck

happy crocheting

Dee:hook

does anyone have the links to these magazines? we don't get many crochet mags around here so i wouldn't really know where to look.. i'm going to google it but i'm sure it's going to be a million and three hits.. KWIM?:think

thanks

Guest Crafterlady46

I also wondered how to get published. I have some great ideas and a couple of copyrighted pattens. I want to get published in Magic crochet if I can find the software to make their cool charts/diagrams.

i found this in the sub forum

SuperCrafty.com is accepting crochet (and knitting) pattern submissions for customer newsletters, our website and a mini mag zine. We need patterns using current GGH, Muench, Berroco, Mango Moon, Anny Blatt, Bouton D'Or and/or Karabella yarns only. We pay for accepted patterns, or you can get free yarn! For more info, please download the submission form and guidelines here.

Or, email me directly with questions. We accept patterns on a rolling basis, but the first deadline for the the mini mag is September 30.

Thanks!

Allison Keech Sanka

http://www.supercrafty.com

The magazines I submitted to had the guideline how to submit I sent the Item and the pattern at the same time If they bought it they send you a contract to sign, I was payed $150 to 250 for my doilys.

Then after that they sent guideline to what they wanted and when they had to be submitted out of all that was sent they picked what they wanted,, I was lucky a few times

Archived