New Scripture Afghan CAL

I am starting the Scripture Afghan and wanted to know if there was anyone who would like to work on it with me. The pattern can be downloaded online here http://www.leisureartslibrary.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=64&idcategory

This is a beautiful afghan and consists of 24 squares with a verse for each one. The pattern calls for you to make 2 of each, but I have a friend who only did one of each and was pleased with the size, so it is up to you!

There was a CAL for this several years ago that can be found here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19598 if anyone would like to go through and read it. I wanted to start fresh with a good link for the pattern, but also wanted people to realize that this was a current project too!

I went through the old thread and found that some had problems with specific squares and others not. Some advice I gleaned was to always measure your finished squares…people seemed to have problems with coming out with them all the same size and had to adjust up or down a hook size at times.

Also note that after a square is complete, you crochet around it in the same color…you don’t want to have to go back later and have an extra tail to weave in!

Many of the links from the old CAL are no longer working, but what pictures I found of finished ghans are here:

cruelladvill http://crochetingrn.blogspot.com/2006_05_01_archive.html

Lisaizme http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Lisaizme/CrochetALongs/th_1stScriptureAfghan.jpg

I am going to try to post a picture of each completed square along with any adjustments and hope you will too.

If this is a project you are currently working on…please join in...veteran advice would be appreciated! If you are interested in starting this one, I hope you will jump in!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in!! :cheer I just bought this pattern today as a matter of fact!!! I saw another thread that mentioned it and just love the idea. What a great gift it would make too! With a story behind it :hook

I am finishing up a doily today and would love to start this on Monday. That will give me a chance to pick some colors. I am thinking the colors of the earth Maybe like greens, blues, tans. I am excited to start! Thanks so much for starting this CAL. :hug

~Tonya♥

teakaycee: Tammy, I hope you join us on this one!! :cheer

kittyloverdeb: Deb, it is great to have you working on this too! :yay

Looking forward to seeing everyone's color choices!! I'm thinking this will be one of those trips where I stand and stare at the yarn for a long time trying to decide! My daughter just loves that!:devil

Hey ladies. I will be lurking here for awhile. I have started this and am about half way through. It is currently set aside for some projects on a deadline. But I will lurk and answer any questions that I can and join in when I can. :) can't wait to see all the pictures. :yes

I seriously thinking of joining in too. I have this one from beginning of the year that we started as a group in the "sky cal" and didn't get to finish. Might try and find what I did with the pattern and squares I have already made.

Well....I couldn't find my pattern so I just re-bought it! I'm not sure what colors I am going to do it in but I hope to see what I have in "stash" tonight and hopefully start working on it! I'm so excited to be starting a new project!!!

I'm like some of the others here, started this one and got side-tracked. I will be lurking here a bit and decide if I have the time to get back into it before Christmas. Mine was to be a Christmas present for my Dad, but don't know if I will be able to get it finished.

This is so very tempting. I bought the pattern years ago with all sorts of good intentions but as usual never even got started. I've got so much going on right now...I'll have to give it some thought.

Deb - can't wait to see what combos you come up with for yours! I am excited to be starting something new too! I have been looking at this one for a long time.

alwayscrafting: It would be great to have you join in!

galaxy: thanks for the color site...I need to go play with that!

Pogojr: this is a busy time of year, I wouldn't be surprised if some wanted to get past the holidays to make a start on something new! hope you join us when you can!

I would like to join this too. I have the pattern around here somewhere. I will look for it and then go through my stash. I need to use up some of what I have so I'll have to see what I come up with for colors.

Well I didn't get the time to go thru stash OR start it yet so....I decided I'm going to go look at yarn today on my lunch break! I'm thinking I want to use simply soft and I'm thinking in browns/greens maybe? We'll see....I'll keep ya'all posted!

around74: :welcomewe are glad to have your joining us!! let us know what colors you come up with!

IHeartCrochet: we will be here when you are ready to jump in!!:hook

Deb: Simply soft would be great...I love their colors!:yes

I am thinking of using the Bernat Denim style. The yarn shop I am going to on friday has it on sale right now. I just need to take a look at the colors in person

:hookYeah I found my yarn!! :yay I made my pilgrimage to my favorite yarn store (Yarn and Thread by Lisa) which is located about an hour from me. she has a great online shop as well as a storefront and is very helpful when you are trying to pick out yarn for a project and can't make up your mind (pretty common for me)!!

I decided to go with Bernat Denim Style. I love this yarn and it has now been discontinued so I was able to get all I needed for the project at 1.99 a skein!:cheertake a look! I am now ready to get started!!

post-16535-135897467728_thumb.jpg

Oh Beth I like those colors! That's gonna look awsome! I got my yarn a couple days ago. I went with the simply soft in dark sage, autumn, sunshine, and beige as the main color. I am on my 3rd. square. I had a hard time getting the second square the same size as the first one. It's not perfect but I think it will work.

I am only going to make one square of each pattern design. That's the plan right now anyway. I will post pictures when I have done a few more squares.

I would love to join you all!! I just started this one today for my BIL who is a pastor. I am doing it in RHSS Windsor Blue, Ranch Red, and Aran. Just started my second square, I have to really work on this one because I want to finish it before xmas. :clap

:hookYeah I found my yarn!! :yay I made my pilgrimage to my favorite yarn store (Yarn and Thread by Lisa) which is located about an hour from me. she has a great online shop as well as a storefront and is very helpful when you are trying to pick out yarn for a project and can't make up your mind (pretty common for me)!!

I decided to go with Bernat Denim Style. I love this yarn and it has now been discontinued so I was able to get all I needed for the project at 1.99 a skein!:cheertake a look! I am now ready to get started!!

Love those colors and that yarn looks cool, can't wait to see your finished blanket.

I would love to join you all!! I just started this one today for my BIL who is a pastor. I am doing it in RHSS Windsor Blue, Ranch Red, and Aran. Just started my second square, I have to really work on this one because I want to finish it before xmas. :clap

Welcome Sarah!! We are thrilled to have you join us!:yay Wow! that Christmas goal will keep you hopping! I am sure your BIL will love it...it is an amazing pattern!

ARe you doing 2 of each square? I am considering making more of a lapghan and just doing 1 of each. we'll see how the first couple go! We have been on the road all day today and I am happy to have tomorrow free so I can finally get started! Look forward to seeing your squares!

Archived