Do Christmas Ornaments sell at craft tables?

I'm starting to make items for my church Fall sale. I'd like the church to make some money at their 'crochet' table. I'm not doing this for personal profit.

Problem is, in the past, most of the people visiting the sale were looking for "bargains". There's no way they'd even pay $10 for a hat, let alone buy an afghan or anything large. They continually haggle over price and want "buy one get one free" or "2 for a dollar".

Most people seem to want to spent $5 or less. So with that in mind I'm looking for quick, small items that'll sell.

The table is full of dishcloths, booties, etc.

My catnip toys were okay sellers in the past but am looking for something different. I had two ladies complain because they said I wasted my time because their cats hated the toys. I had others say that it was the best catnip toy their cat ever had. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm thinking of Christmas ornaments. Might be a good way to use up stash and they're small enough that people may actually buy them. Thoughts?

I can't tell you which ones would be best but I know Christmas ornaments are one of the nicest things at this time of year I think. Reasonably priced, parents can usually afford one for the child that is teasing for something, and it is a great gift to give and/or keepsake.

I had two ladies complain because they said I wasted my time because their cats hated the toys. I had others say that it was the best catnip toy their cat ever had. Go figure.

Not all cats respond to catnip. It is a genetic thing. I'm not sure that most people know this.

Not all cats respond to catnip. It is a genetic thing. I'm not sure that most people know this.

Very true. While the majority of cats go crazy for catnip, it has been found that as many as 25% of the world's cats don't respond to it at all. Also, kittens don't respond to it. They usually don't get a catnip "high" until they are about 8 or 10 months old, so it's wasted on young kittens, even those who eventually do respond to it.

I sold my wooden clothespin angels for $3 each (it was several years ago). They were made with thread. They sold really well. They don't take a lot of thread to make and were really easy. It was a Leisure Arts leaflet. The clothespins were the old-fashioned type.

I have lots of crochet thread in my stash as well. I'd forgotten about the snowflake ornaments. My mom loves to do thread crochet :manyheart and is in a seniors home (bored out of her mind). This would also give her something to do to keep her occupied. She'd love it.

Thanks for all the suggestions (and also the pricing information). :hug

As an aside, I have about 10-15 shawls that I've made that I just never seem to wear. I'm going to raffle off 1 or 2 shawls as I've had some interest.

Now I have lots of projects in my queue for the sale. :clap

Boy, the people you meet at these sales are just "something else".

I myself always bought Christmas Tree ornaments. I've made alot myself, but always gave them away and never sold them at a craft fair. They are a great gift, inexpensive and don't take alot of time to make. I've even made the Christmas Balls (blew up a balloon inside after using stiffener on them, left to dry, popped the balloon and a great xmas ball. I would put little things inside some of them like hanging bells, nativity scenes, deer, santas extra. Those were always taken first. You could sell them for a little bit more. Glue some beads, ribbons, etc.

I would love to find ornaments or small Christmas items at a craft fair. I'm always looking for something unique to add to my collections. Lion Brand has the cutest little amigurimi Christmas mouse. If I saw that on a holiday table, I would be buying it for sure!

I think that anything christmas would do good. My mom and I had a small booth a while back for about a year, when we brought out our christmas items, we ended up getting orders for more.

Archived