Beware The Pink Ribbon

Thank you for sharing that article. It is similar to my post found here about my concerns with the commercialization of the pink ribbon campaign. We do need to beware of some companies who really don't have those of us who are battling breast cancer, in our best interest. I know I felt the whole pink overload last year when I first faced my cancer treatment.

I work for one of the shop at home tv channels part time and this time of year they run a donation campaign. Every dollar of the donation goes directly to the Susan G. Komen and there's no cap. And there's also no minimum donation, which means people who are on a tight budget can do $1 if they want. Which I think is great.

Good heavens, it never occurred to me that there was a remote possibily that proceeds from any of that pink junk (in stores) went to cancer research, any more than I would have thought proceeds from buying Christmas decorations were donated to churches.

I am a cancer survivor too and while of course awareness/support is important I REALLY hate the pink ribbon merchandise "overload", it's trivialized and diluted the whole concept and is just a merchandizing ploy, nothing more. Sad.

When I am buying something (cleaner, candles, soups, etc.) and it is adorned with pink packaging or a pink ribbon, I make sure to read the packaging to see if they actually donate to a reputable cause (such as those listed in the article.) If not, then I will put it back and buy something that either does donate to one of those causes, or buy something in entirely different packaging. It is sad that some companies feel they have to capitalize on this.

Ironically, many women with breast cancer, myself included, find the whole "pink" thing tiresome. It really does trivialize breast cancer. Pink is such a "pretty" colour too - really makes cancer seem a whole lot easier than it is. Living with cancer is HARD. Awareness doesn't help those with cancer, how about a CURE already! :angry

With corporations, it's all about profit. Even if they donate ten cents on the dollar, what about the othe 90 cents? I agree with jeannej, donate directly to the charities that can help.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

I never thought that just because it has a pink ribbon and says it goes to help fund cancer research that it doesn't or very little does. I have seen so many things lately with a pink label or the ribbon on the label, even gardening stuff. I'm glad I never bought any of it. Thanks for sharing this article, I'll have to read the labels thoroughly now.

ETA: I picked up some fish sticks for supper and I just saw that the box has a pink ribbon and says that it supports breast cancer awaremess programs. I now wonder if it actually does :think

I will have to check out the article but Just a note to anyone donating anything to a charity, its a good idea to check out the charity. I won't name names but some well known charities use up to 90% of donations to pay office staff and only a fraction to help others. DH and I went through a tornado and found out how some charities really work. We would only donate to a family directly and will only encourage support of the salvation army. I'll now also get off my soap box. :) And I will start reading the fine print on all those pink ribbon packages.

Words of wisdom for us all, to make sure we know where our money is going to. As someone who's bee a Komen volunteer for going on 11 years now, I think they try to keep a tight rein on who gets to use their symbol, but I could be very woring or maybe the policies have changed over the years. I will look into it.

As for pink trivializing or making cancer seem pretty: I've known several women with breast cancer who did feel de-feminized and less womanly going through that particular kind of cancer (vs. my family members who've battled melanoma and bladder cancer, which are not so heavily asociated with one sex). But, like everything, individuals' reactions will vary. They wanted to be reminded they were still a woman even if they were going to lose their breast(s). But others might find that it is too much, it is too childlike. I know two women who are members of a Breast Cancer Boot Team, where they wear camo and do boot camp inspired workouts with a drill sargeant yelling at them. Sounds awful to me, and the last thing I'd want if I had breast cancer, but it works for them.

It's all about the individual and what will give you strength to fight. What will help you may not help or inspire me.

And to keep this crochet related, I just was in Joann's the other day and saw the pink yarn display, and thought some of the colors were very pretty and would be perfect for my girly charity blankets.

Patty

Archived