End-of-the-year-Clean-out-your-stash-Scrap Granny Square Afghan-CAL...Phew!

LoopyCrochet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the word "sub" is short for "strand ugly blanket". usually you will see a no. before it. i'm working on a 2sub so i hold 2 strands of yarn together while i crochet my blanket. the "ugly" part is because you use scraps, but not just do a complete row w/ the scrap. you sorta don't plan how the scraps go together, and you go until the scrap is finished; even if it's in the middle of a row.

that way, you have, lets say "red and green" (xmas is coming, lol) and you have enough red to do 2.5 rows and enough gree to do 5 rows. as the red comes to an end, you reach into the scraps and grab a ball. it turns out to be yellow. so you add that to the green, and crochet until 1 (whichever 1) comes to an end. then add another ball. etc.

I think they are actually quite pretty. and i've also seen where its the scraps w/ a solid 2nd color. so, lets say, you want to use black all the way through and just change the 1 scrap strand. so, always change the black to a black, and the scrap to another scrap.

each 1 has such character.

sandy (feeling talkative tonight :D)

:think what are "sub"'s?

Hello everyone!

I am feeling much better, thankfully! I have started back on my afghan. Yay! I found that I have a lot of pastel colors in lavender, pink, yellow and one not-so-pastel green...so I'm using those for my afghan and putting a light sky blue for my edging...I guess it's not very fall'ish-winter'ish, but it will be pretty come spring! So...this is turning out to be a great CAL! YAY!! I hope everyone is having fun!

Thanks! ♥♥♥

♥Baylee

Glad you're feeling better Baylee!

Here's the first of 9 sections of my Sudoku-ghan. I did the continuous join method with the aran to join the individual squares and then added a round of sc in black. (It's a little hard to tell in the picture, but the squares really are all done in distinctly different colors.)

Block 1

Baylee - I am glad you are feeling better:c9

Bgnagy - you "suduko" block looks really neat~

:hi to the rest of the gang!

I found 32 grannys in a bag in my stash, that I had made to join for a sweater. I have them out, so they can tell me what colors they would like to share a 'ghan with:lol

Can I join if I'm doing a hex granny? I think I want to try this one from Attic24 http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/hexagon-howto.html I think it would be cute done with scraps & a unifying last round.

That IS super cute - and again - I love the join-as-you go aspect.

I have decided not to do the sudoku-ghan for now since the yarns I was using - even though they're all the same brand and type, weight, etc (RHSS) - they're far from the same thickness and my squares were not turning out the same size. I even tried using different size hooks (larger hook with thinner color yarn etc). When I put my squares together to make the blocks, they were coming out all wonky and it was just bugging me too much.

So after finishing the second 9-square block I crocheted them together back to back to make a cat mat for my kitties.

Well I'm going to join in I guess, I've been making saltines, which are pretty much mini-grannies, out of all of my scrap balls. Sooner or later I'm going to buy some Caron Pounders in black and when I have a ton, stitch them all together.

Hi! I'm new here and this sounds like a great CAL to start off with! I 've never joined a CAL and not really sure what to expect. Could someone explain it to me? Thanks:)

Hi! I'm new here and this sounds like a great CAL to start off with! I 've never joined a CAL and not really sure what to expect. Could someone explain it to me? Thanks:)

Trish, there's not much to it! We all work on our projects, share stories about our projects (and families :)), share photos, and motivate each other. There's no deadline! We just all love to crochet and will find any excuse to start a new project!!!! :hook

the word "sub" is short for "strand ugly blanket". usually you will see a no. before it. i'm working on a 2sub so i hold 2 strands of yarn together while i crochet my blanket. the "ugly" part is because you use scraps, but not just do a complete row w/ the scrap. you sorta don't plan how the scraps go together, and you go until the scrap is finished; even if it's in the middle of a row.

that way, you have, lets say "red and green" (xmas is coming, lol) and you have enough red to do 2.5 rows and enough gree to do 5 rows. as the red comes to an end, you reach into the scraps and grab a ball. it turns out to be yellow. so you add that to the green, and crochet until 1 (whichever 1) comes to an end. then add another ball. etc.

I think they are actually quite pretty. and i've also seen where its the scraps w/ a solid 2nd color. so, lets say, you want to use black all the way through and just change the 1 scrap strand. so, always change the black to a black, and the scrap to another scrap.

each 1 has such character.

sandy (feeling talkative tonight :D)

This sub method of using up scrap yarn sounds interesting and very tempting. I have lots of scraps and need to make a afghan for my son for Christmas. I'm thinking this might be the ticket. Using like an N hook and two strands of yarn. Maybe get a pounder of one main color like you described above. Do you generally just work this as one huge Granny Square rather than in smaller squares?

Very tempting... Let me think about this CAL :think

Okay, I'm taking extra scrap yarn to work with me tomorrow. I work at an airport, and we have an airshow with the Blue Angels this weekend. I think I might hang out after work to watch the show. My building runs parallel to the runway, so I'll have a great view! And, I'll be inside so I can sit and crochet while I watch the show! :hook

Jessica- that is one cool afghan! I love it's colorful-ness:c9

...this project is going to take me a loooonnng time! ... although I have a bag set aside to drop my scraps into as I get gifts made.

I have a lot of scraps to use up in my stash. I am so torn between two different styles.

http://krochetkrystal.blogspot.com/2009/04/2009-afghan-6.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/sleepystitcher/Crochet/GSAfghan1a.jpg

I just can't decide which one I want to do!

I can't even decide if I want each square to be a solid color or 2-3 coordinated colors. I definitely want the main background color to be black. I even grabbed a few of those big huge Red Heart Super Saver skeins of black when they were on sale for like $4.

I'm just so indecisive!

I have a lot of scraps to use up in my stash. I am so torn between two different styles.

http://krochetkrystal.blogspot.com/2009/04/2009-afghan-6.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/sleepystitcher/Crochet/GSAfghan1a.jpg

I just can't decide which one I want to do!

I can't even decide if I want each square to be a solid color or 2-3 coordinated colors. I definitely want the main background color to be black. I even grabbed a few of those big huge Red Heart Super Saver skeins of black when they were on sale for like $4.

I'm just so indecisive!

Oooo, both of those grannies are gorgeous. Sounds like you got the yarn and are ready to go. :crocheting

I finished my other project today so finally got my pounder of blue out to start my granny scrapghan. I'm doing it all in one big granny. I haven't done one of these scrapghan before but am following the info above that eyrthmother1 posted about using one color throughout and changing the other color to use up scraps and old stash yarn. She called it the "SUB" method. I'm using a N hook, double strand (2SUB), and its very heavy. I hope this works out okay... I want to give it to my son for Christmas :gift

Oooo, both of those grannies are gorgeous. Sounds like you got the yarn and are ready to go. :crocheting

I finished my other project today so finally got my pounder of blue out to start my granny scrapghan. I'm doing it all in one big granny. I haven't done one of these scrapghan before but am following the info above that eyrthmother1 posted about using one color throughout and changing the other color to use up scraps and old stash yarn. She called it the "SUB" method. I'm using a N hook, double strand (2SUB), and its very heavy. I hope this works out okay... I want to give it to my son for Christmas :gift

That sounds like it will be nice looking with a blue main color. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Here is my progress on my scrap granny. I wasn't sure about the color but have decided to stay with all blues. I'm using two strands of yarn and have a light blue pounder that I am using throughout. The thumbnail doesn't really show the color variance but if you click on the picture it shows the colors better. Anyway at least I've got it going and hope to have enough different blues in my stash to finish it. :)

post-10977-135897465929_thumb.jpg

Here is my progress on my scrap granny. I wasn't sure about the color but have decided to stay with all blues. I'm using two strands of yarn and have a light blue pounder that I am using throughout. The thumbnail doesn't really show the color variance but if you click on the picture it shows the colors better. Anyway at least I've got it going and hope to have enough different blues in my stash to finish it. :)

[ATTACH]10768[/ATTACH]

Looks good so far! :clap

Archived