Leftover Yarn Blues...

I've done it again! Despite my best efforts to use up stash, I've gotten to a point in my WWII Museum Veterans scarf where I'm going to have to get MORE YARN!!! The whole point of using my stash yarn to make this scarf was to use it up. However, I'm doing it in an alternating green/aran combination and I've run out of green to finish it up. :eek

How many of you start out with the best of intentions when it come to stash-buster projects, only to end up needing more yarn to finish the project?

So far i do not have this problem.. I only have 5 balls Well half balls of yarn :( no moneyto buy more..> I found a Freeyarn cycle site.. and being i need to make more hats for Madyson.. I put in a request. I have 3 pckages comming. One ldy said the box was so big she can't send it regular mail!!!!! so im currious tosee how big my stash is about to get!>

but thtis ok I pln on mking Each child blanket.. hat.. slippers n scarf so Im sure i'll fly thru some of the yrn lol

So far i do not have this problem.. I only have 5 balls Well half balls of yarn :( no moneyto buy more..> I found a Freeyarn cycle site.. and being i need to make more hats for Madyson.. I put in a request. I have 3 pckages comming. One ldy said the box was so big she can't send it regular mail!!!!! so im currious tosee how big my stash is about to get!>

but thtis ok I pln on mking Each child blanket.. hat.. slippers n scarf so Im sure i'll fly thru some of the yrn lol

What is the address of that site? Is it the regular Freecycle thing that you just put in a "Wanted" ad for yarn? Or is there a site like that just for yarn?

I have conquered this problem. I make ponchos using all different types of yarns - plain, textured and fluffy. They turn out gorgeous.

Here's what I do: I sort out my colours and put them in a big bag together. For example:

blues and greens

autumn/fall colours

pinks and lilacs

pinks and blues

any other combination.

Then I start my poncho from the neck down. I use the smallest amounts first and do a round in each yarn and colour. I wish I still had the lilac and pink one to show you a picture. Oooooh, it was so very gorgeous - with different fluffy yarns in it as well as plain yarns. The poncho doesn't need a fringe because all the interesting yarns contribute to something very, very special.

Suzi from Oz

Elle - I advertise on my local Freecycle site for unused acrylic yarn for hospital, surgery center, domestic violence. I renew it about once a month. Sometimes I don't hear anything for a while, then do get a response, with always great results. Give it a try. I always pick up.

Any yarn I can't use (sometimes there's some wool mixed in) I give to the Sr. Center Crochet/knit group. .

Archived