Pet Peeve, but maybe it is me?

I am working on a huge afghan, one that would almost fit on my Cal King sized bed. It is for a friend, and she picked the pattern out of a book I had just bought. It was a pretty easy pattern to work up and it went fast. Then I get to the boarder. It took me HOURS to figure out that the pattern was wrong in the book . . . at least when it worked up, looking nothing like he picture. I played with it until I thought it looked right and now I think I have it. Now, I am far from an expert at reading patterns, or crocheting even, but I am fairly sure it was wrong. Now, this isn’t a free pattern, it is one I bought in a published book, and that made me a little mad that it was wrong. It could be me, not reading it right, and if so, I should be mad at myself :eek Anyway, I had to vent a little. Does this happen to anyone else?

You're not the only one. I get annoyed regardless of whether it's a free pattern or from a book or magazine I've bought. I also get annoyed when the pattern turns out to be right, but because of how the pattern is written, it's confusing. Pattern writing is not easy work, one would think it would be, but people think differently and perceive things differently. What is obvious to me, isn't so much to someone else. Some pattern writers write down every.little.nuance, which is totally helpful to those who need that kind of pattern, and some patterns are written with the assumption that the crocheter knows what they are doing. And then you have everything in between.

I've written up patterns before, and I did run into a few people that just didn't get what I was saying, while the majority of people who used my pattern did get it with no problem.

But when there is an obvious error in the pattern, yes I get annoyed because that means that someone failed at proofing their work...something I've done in the past too. What really annoys me though is when it is a published pattern that one pays for, especially from a not too cheap book, I'm questioning whether that pattern was tested properly and whether the pattern writing was proof read.

Things happen...and after my stint with my own pattern writing, I'm a little more forgiving.

Euro, thanks for giving me the pattern writers perspective, and yes, I do tend to think differently then most of the way the patterns are written. And I get that, and understand, and that is why I don’t mind doing that with free patterns. With a book you would think it was proofed . . . oh well :) And Nut, I have freestyled it many a times and I think it turned out just fine and it can be fun, to give it a custom look. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Yep, I hear you, LeAnna. I have hit the same a time or few. When you spend good money on a pattern, you should be able to trust that it has been tested and edited before hitting the printers and put on the market.

I agree, pattern writing isn't especially easy; I have only dabbled and found my attempts a bit frayed, to say the least.

Am I wrong in thinking, though, that it's a specific language, with it's own set of 'rules and codes'...perhaps even set in stone over the ages?

While I have yet to master speaking fluent "crochetese", I like to think I'm fairly proficient at reading them and comprehending what I've read...when written 'properly', that is. I admit that I expect near perfection from "professional" pattern-writers (those who get published and who's patterns have a price on them).

I kind of think it's important that pattern writers write down "every.little.nuance" -Not for the basics, of course, but when it comes to a complex series of stitches or to a new twist on an old way -In fact, I have come to expect it over the years...Not because I'm pattern-illiterate, but because that's how the instructions for any process should read. The written word speaks volumes...when written clearly....and most definitely should when paid for dearly.

Okay lol -I'll get off my :soap now and just close with saying how very much I do, do, do appreciate all the creative crocheters out there who do share their patterns, despite my venting. :hug And hey, a good challenge can make the journey interesting and sometimes fun, eh?

I hear you too! I finally found the most perfect cardigan I wanted to make for myself. The picture was very showing in how the cardigan was made. And, it cost a lot, for a single pattern!

Well, half way through, single crochet up until then, the pattern said to start crocheting in the 15th double crochet and then skip the next two triple crochets.... What the heck???? :angry And the rest of the pattern when the same way! I wrote to the pattern designer, very nicely asking for corrections and was simply told (scribbled) on the back of my letter, no less, that she wasn't responsible for the publishing mistakes.

Ugggg.... I didn't ask for my money back, I only asked for the corrected pattern. I even sent my receipt showing I had bought it!!!!!

Never again will I buy a pattern from this designer, and I have seen more of her work! She lost what could have been a good customer!

I have also had other purchased and free patterns being incorrect. It is one thing to be in a slightly different lingo, I can usually figure that out, but when the pattern takes off in a different direction that is impossible and makes no sense what-so-ever, it is perturbing to say the least!

Here is a thought: The designers should make their item and write their pattern, and then with the printed pattern in front of them, set to go to the publishers, they should sit there and make another one of that item using their directions word for word. Then maybe we won't have so many patterns so messed up!

Another pet peeve is patterns that just say this is a decrease row or an increase row and then leave you hanging. Or just give you 3 rows and then tell you to increase or decrease using the 'pattern stitch'.... I'm paying for a pattern, for heavens sake, write out the entire pattern and don't leave the guess work to me! I want to crochet, not write out your pattern before I crochet it and hope it is what you were thinking of!

Having written a few patterns myself, I understand the difficulty of it, and making sure you have everything written down that you did. But, if you are going to reach the point that you put the pattern out in public or even sell it, then I think pattern designers/writers, should take the responsibility of getting it correct!

Glad you all understand...the other thing to consider is that there are only so many ways to write directions and still make the pattern writing itself unique enough so that one isn't stepping on possible copyright infringements. I can't tell you how many times I've thought, "Well why the heck didn't they say, 'blah, blah, blah..." Well the answer sometimes might be that they were trying to write it in such a way so that someone else didn't come back and accuse them of copyright violations...

I agree with a set of rules about writing patterns. Also, sometimes when you're creating something, some unique twist on a stitch pattern, it can be really hard to actually explain how you did what you did, let alone try to give instructions to actually replicate what you did.

But back to the obvious errors...yeah, more than once I've been known to just throw up my hands in the air, push the pattern aside and do my own thing...call it a happy mistake at that point.

Glad you all understood where I was coming from.

I hear you too! I finally found the most perfect cardigan I wanted to make for myself. The picture was very showing in how the cardigan was made. And, it cost a lot, for a single pattern!

Well, half way through, single crochet up until then, the pattern said to start crocheting in the 15th double crochet and then skip the next two triple crochets.... What the heck???? :angry And the rest of the pattern when the same way! I wrote to the pattern designer, very nicely asking for corrections and was simply told (scribbled) on the back of my letter, no less, that she wasn't responsible for the publishing mistakes.

Ugggg.... I didn't ask for my money back, I only asked for the corrected pattern. I even sent my receipt showing I had bought it!!!!!

Never again will I buy a pattern from this designer, and I have seen more of her work! She lost what could have been a good customer!

I have also had other purchased and free patterns being incorrect. It is one thing to be in a slightly different lingo, I can usually figure that out, but when the pattern takes off in a different direction that is impossible and makes no sense what-so-ever, it is perturbing to say the least!

Here is a thought: The designers should make their item and write their pattern, and then with the printed pattern in front of them, set to go to the publishers, they should sit there and make another one of that item using their directions word for word. Then maybe we won't have so many patterns so messed up!

Another pet peeve is patterns that just say this is a decrease row or an increase row and then leave you hanging. Or just give you 3 rows and then tell you to increase or decrease using the 'pattern stitch'.... I'm paying for a pattern, for heavens sake, write out the entire pattern and don't leave the guess work to me! I want to crochet, not write out your pattern before I crochet it and hope it is what you were thinking of!

Oh my word...and see if you had written to the publisher, you could very well have gotten a note from them saying that they were not responsible for the designer's pattern...my understanding though is that when a designer submits a pattern to most publishers for consideration and they accept the work, most cases, the pattern is suppose to be print ready...meaning that the publishers won't bother thinking about testing...that isn't the case with all publications...but it's usually the case if you write a book and submit it, it's suppose to be close to print ready as possible, all formatted and what not. The editor will make suggestions and mark up copy for the writer to correct...but the final draft that goes to printers is suppose to be ready with all corrections, deletions, additions done by the writer.

I know that certain crochet magazines strive to have well written patterns that follow a set of publishing guidelines...but more often than not, it seems like once the pattern gets submitted to publication, testing doesn't seem to be thought of, but that's just my presumption. Sometimes makes me wonder just what the heck the editors of the magazines are doing with their time.

I do think that's a good idea that if there are changes to a pattern that's been submitted, the designer should sit through a testing with the editor before final publication.

Having written a few patterns myself, I understand the difficulty of it, and making sure you have everything written down that you did. But, if you are going to reach the point that you put the pattern out in public or even sell it, then I think pattern designers/writers, should take the responsibility of getting it correct!

WOW!!! There's a lot going on here. Hopefully, this will make some sense of it.

Once a pattern is accepted the designer give up all rights to it. Period. Whether it's for a set amount of time or forever - that depends on the contract. I'm sure you weren't the first person to get a hold of her.

Sending your reciept to the designer once a pattern is sold is rather pointless. She already got paid for it and any profits from it do not go to her - they go to the publisher.

I am in no way shape or form excusing how she replied to you - that was just unprofessional.

The fact of the matter is - the designer isn't responsible for publishing mistakes. If you check out the Lionbrand website - they have a corrections page for publishing mistakes.

It would've been silly to ask the designer for the money back. If the pattern is useless then you should've contacted the publisher or where you purchased it from.

The problem with sitting and working from what you're about to send in is that it's still fresh in your mind. You know exactly what you're supposed to do. This is why I try to use newer crocheters for my pattern testers. A lot of times they can't just assume what I meant and continue on. They have to ask me and then I know I have to fix it.

I truly understand your frustration. I bought 99 Little Doilies and in every single doily I have worked up so far - there are mistakes. Some are little enough to ignore. Some are blatantly wrong and a lot of the doilies weren't given enough thought to even lay flat.

And yes, I totally agree that designers should be responsible for the accuracy of their patterns.

This pattern is written the same way that you don't like. In all honesty - I just couldn't bring myself to write it out any further than I did. If it's a simple pattern repeat then there's only so much writing that you can do.

http://inspiredcrochetdesign.blogspot.com/2009/08/diamond-ghan-free-pattern.html

RoseRed, i like it when the pattern is made as simple as possible, to much direction can sometimes get confusing for me. And I will put up with a lot if it is a free pattern, and I have come up with some things based on those freebies that I love, because of mistakes :) but this book i bought, where it was a good price for the amount of patterns, it still wasn't cheap, and for the first thing I do out of it, be wrong . . . oh well, the blanket still turned out beautiful (if I do say so myself :D) And i did notice how so many people here have pattern testers and think that is wonderful and wouldn't mind doing some testing myself, though i have only been crocheting about a year and a half. Anyway, glad i am not the only one who has run into this!

Autumn - I just read back over what I wrote and today it almost seems as if I was picking at you. I really wasn't. I was just trying to explain how some of it works - that's all.

If I seemed short it's because my dog just died and yesterday was just an awful day.

...my dog just died and yesterday was just an awful day.

Oh RoseRed, I am so very sorry for your loss of your dear dog. I know how difficult it is to lose a faithful companion and the toll that it can take on one's heart...and the hole it leaves behind there. Take care and know how much we care, kiddo. :hug

WOW!!! There's a lot going on here. Hopefully, this will make some sense of it.

Once a pattern is accepted the designer give up all rights to it. Period. Whether it's for a set amount of time or forever - that depends on the contract. I'm sure you weren't the first person to get a hold of her.

Sending your reciept to the designer once a pattern is sold is rather pointless. She already got paid for it and any profits from it do not go to her - they go to the publisher.

I am in no way shape or form excusing how she replied to you - that was just unprofessional.

The fact of the matter is - the designer isn't responsible for publishing mistakes. If you check out the Lionbrand website - they have a corrections page for publishing mistakes.

It would've been silly to ask the designer for the money back. If the pattern is useless then you should've contacted the publisher or where you purchased it from.

The problem with sitting and working from what you're about to send in is that it's still fresh in your mind. You know exactly what you're supposed to do. This is why I try to use newer crocheters for my pattern testers. A lot of times they can't just assume what I meant and continue on. They have to ask me and then I know I have to fix it.

I truly understand your frustration. I bought 99 Little Doilies and in every single doily I have worked up so far - there are mistakes. Some are little enough to ignore. Some are blatantly wrong and a lot of the doilies weren't given enough thought to even lay flat.

And yes, I totally agree that designers should be responsible for the accuracy of their patterns.

This pattern is written the same way that you don't like. In all honesty - I just couldn't bring myself to write it out any further than I did. If it's a simple pattern repeat then there's only so much writing that you can do.

http://inspiredcrochetdesign.blogspot.com/2009/08/diamond-ghan-free-pattern.html

I contacted the publisher first to check to see if there were any corrections to the pattern and was told by them (as eurolyons mentioned) that I should contact the designer as their proofs were correct as printed in the book. I only sent my reciept to prove I had purchased the pattern and wasn't asking for it free from her.

As for patterns that asks you to repeat rows, I have no problem with repeating rows that include all the stitches.

The problem is when the rows the designer is asking you to repeat (the designer wants you to do decreases as an example) as in:

repeat rows 2 and 3 (of a pattern) and there are no decreases listed in rows 2 and 3 as they are written. Saying only to repeat rows 2 and 3 that have 153 stitches and until you have 137 stitches without telling you where to place the decreases.

It's okay. I didn't take your post personal. :yes It happened quite a while ago. It was a book/leaflet of different shawls. I can't remember the name of the book, or the name of the pattern in question. I think there were 4 or 5 patterns in the book/leaflet some knit and some crochet. I was so frustrated with the publisher and designer that I ripped it in half and tossed the book/leaflet and the letter in the trash when I got the return letter from her.

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. My heart is with you. :hug

RoseRed, sorry to hear about your doggie. :hug

This has happened to me lots of times. Typos and whatnot happen more and more often than they used to. Publishers are cutting corners to do things faster and cheaper and it sometimes shows in the finished product. Where I work there aren't even any proofreaders anymore. Just the authors themselves. After you've written a book or pattern, like RoseRed said, it's still fresh in your mind. It's difficult to be the proofreader of your own work because you may just be seeing what you think *should* be there, not what's really there. The author would have read it and reread it so many times they have it memorized, and that makes for a bad proofreader. Ideally, they would have a final pattern tester (not the author) working from the blueprint stages of a pattern book to be printed. This would slow down production, cost more, etc. so I doubt anyone would do it.

Where I work authors do not give up their copyrights and are ultimately responsible for the content and what gets published. I do understand that designers of these patterns give the copyright to the publisher for a set amount of time, so it really isn't their fault what gets published. However, as we can see, it's more of a reflection on the designer than the publisher (even though responsibility rests w/said publisher) so it's in a designer's best interest to speak up when things go wrong and try to correct the mistake as best they can.

RoseRed, I am so sorry for your loss.

As for the mistake on the pattern, it was late at night and I just wanted to get it figured out . . . and I think I was just a little frustrated. Normally I am proud of myself when I can figure it out, and I thinks makes me a better crocheter. But I still might write to them, just so they are aware of it

• 1 month later...

Errrors in patterns, published or on the internet, are very common.

...I've learned to wing it when something doesn't seem to make sense.

..or write the publisher:lol

Archived