Renaissance Tunic CAL

nicolep

Just checking in with my progress...

I started the tunic last night. I have finished the left and right front pieces. I started on the back this afternoon. It's working up quicker than I originally thought. I'll post pictures as soon as it starts looking like a piece of clothing. :lol

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished the first part of the bodice this evening. I have the accent border next. The bodice insert will help fill what seems like a huge gap in the front of the bodice. I measured everything and it's coming together right. It just seems like there's no way the two sides are going to meet. According to the schematic though, I'm right on target. :shrug

Oh and I believe it was Jennifer and I that were discussing the amount of yarn the pattern suggests. I have used exactly one skein of Caron Simply Soft so far. I think the yarn totals from the pattern are way high. We'll see in the end though. Chat with you all soon.

post-28827-135897437313_thumb.jpg

Nicole- It's looking good so far. Nice to know that it works up fairly quickly.

We got our plumbing problems fixed. It was nothing major, a couple of loose fittings and some gaskets/o-rings that were brittle from dry rot. It took us all day yesterday because we had to cut one access panel and had destroyed another. Once the leaks were fixed we had to make new panels. After that, we shampooed tha carpet once more and let it dry overnight. This morning we were able to move furniture back and restore order.

With all that said, I am hoping to get my yarn next weekend since we did all the work ourselves and didn't have to pay out the wazoo for a plumber. After charity weekend, I should be able to get started.

Nicole- It's looking good so far. Nice to know that it works up fairly quickly.

We got our plumbing problems fixed. It was nothing major, a couple of loose fittings and some gaskets/o-rings that were brittle from dry rot. It took us all day yesterday because we had to cut one access panel and had destroyed another. Once the leaks were fixed we had to make new panels. After that, we shampooed tha carpet once more and let it dry overnight. This morning we were able to move furniture back and restore order.

With all that said, I am hoping to get my yarn next weekend since we did all the work ourselves and didn't have to pay out the wazoo for a plumber. After charity weekend, I should be able to get started.

Oh, no! We were on the dreaded second page! :eek

Jennifer - I'm so glad to hear your plumbing problems weren't too bad. I can't wait for your to start the tunic. :cheer

I have most of the accent border on the right arm done, but that's where I stopped this weekend. I'm working the comfortghan right now. I hope to have it done very soon so I can focus on preemie hats for the charity weekend.

I hope everyone is doing well! :hug

I work much better on a deadline when it comes to gifts. I usually start them at the beginning of October, but rarely touch them until after Thanksgiving. Then I’m a crocheting crazy woman for a month. Every year I decide to start earlier, but never manage to stick with that plan.

I don’t usually have too many WIP’s at once. I think the most I’ve ever had is five or so. That’s not too bad, right? I want to get started on this CAL tomorrow. Once I get more of the comfortghan squares in I’ll have to take some time to finish the ghan up, but I don’t anticipate that taking too long. I have made ten squares already. I might have to make a few more...just depends on how many I get from wonderful ‘Ville folks.

I have a concern about the amount of yarn the pattern states is used. How in the world does it take more than one skein of the light blue color? There isn’t that much on there. I am not convinced that it would take 10 – 15 skeins of the dark blue. I’m afraid of not buying enough because there are dye lots on Caron SS. The colors vary a lot between dye lots. :sigh I don’t know.

First off, count me in, I saw this thread a week or so ago and decided that now was the time to make this tunic. I printed the pattern like a year ago, but I was moving back from Europe and had other projects that were more of a priority. That and I had made the other tunic (the green one) that was from the same designer. It's simplier to do than this one, a little faster, but both are great. Anyway, I also decided for once, to follow the pattern regarding yarn recommendation and color, so I went to Joann's and bought the yarn, in fact a little more than recommended on some colors...just in case. But I had the same concern as you...and after doing the arm band on the vest part, let me tell you, you will need basically all that is called for, that's because the stitch for the light blue is a 3hdc cluster...it takes a lot of yarn.

I'm a fairly experienced crocheter, but I've had to reread directions on this pattern, so be patient. I'm now working on the 2nd armhole for the vest part. There's one part that just does NOT make sense to me, so I've opted to leave that row alone for the moment and that's the last row on the armhole edging...I'll check back and see if anyone else has figured this out.

I'm doing this pattern in XL...and as far as why so much yarn for the dark country blue, all I can say is that when you get to the skirt part of the tunic, it's using a shell pattern stitch that can use alot of yarn. I'm not that far yet though.

I started this I think last Friday (August 21) The edgings are taking me a little more time than I usually would like. I'm still not sure I'm liking how the edging is working out, but that's just me. I look forward to seeing how everyone else feels about this pattern, 'cause maybe it's just me. Part of me just wants to redesign the edgings...

Just wanted to update with some pics. I have the accent border done on the right arm and starting on the front edge now.

Okay, my edging does not look like yours...at all...

I am doing the edging differently than the pattern directions. I really dislike HDC clusters so I'm doing DC clusters. I'm also leaving out two rows of the edging. I am not using nearly the amount of yarn that the pattern calls for at this point. But, like I said, I'm not exactly following the pattern.

Whew! Thought I was doing something wrong there. No harm in changing the pattern. I like what you did and I like your colors...good work.

Whew! Thought I was doing something wrong there. No harm in changing the pattern. I like what you did and I like your colors...good work.

Thanks! You're probably doing just fine. I'd love to see work in progress pictures if you're able. :D

I truly understand why you fell in love with it. It is sooooo coool. Yeah, I'm a '60's-'70's child, the "cool" thing. That's right up my alley. Another to add to my to do list. Thanks!

I truly understand why you fell in love with it. It is sooooo coool. Yeah, I'm a '60's-'70's child, the "cool" thing. That's right up my alley. Another to add to my to do list. Thanks!

We'd love to have you along whenever you're reading to start :crocheting

Thanks! You're probably doing just fine. I'd love to see work in progress pictures if you're able. :D

When I finish the edging on the vest part I'll take pics and share...

I got a lot of compliments on the other tunic from the same designer...it became one of my favorites to wear over the winter last.

It's been a while since I posted pics on this site and I know they've changed things, so I'll have to look up the instructions...

When I finish the edging on the vest part I'll take pics and share...

I got a lot of compliments on the other tunic from the same designer...it became one of my favorites to wear over the winter last.

It's been a while since I posted pics on this site and I know they've changed things, so I'll have to look up the instructions...

I'll have to look into the other tunic. It might be my next wearable on my WIM list.

Almost have the 2nd armhole edging done. Discovered a mistake on the other armhole and corrected it, but it still looks not quite what I expected. Wish I could see a better pic of of the edging and/or be able to climb in the head of the designer to figure out what she was going for.

However, over all, it does look nice. I should have a picture posted here tomorrow of the finished vest part before going on to the rest of the garment.

A little slow going, but you know, sometimes with those types of patterns, where you're finished with it and it's more than passable, it tends to become one of my favorites (especially with garments...)

Hope you're doing good on yours.

http://www.caron.com/projects/shadows/sss2_baroque_tunic.html

There you go...I did it in the same color, but used Lion Brand Woolese...

I really like that one and remember seeing it now. Another to add to my WIM list! :yes

Almost have the 2nd armhole edging done. Discovered a mistake on the other armhole and corrected it, but it still looks not quite what I expected. Wish I could see a better pic of of the edging and/or be able to climb in the head of the designer to figure out what she was going for.

However, over all, it does look nice. I should have a picture posted here tomorrow of the finished vest part before going on to the rest of the garment.

A little slow going, but you know, sometimes with those types of patterns, where you're finished with it and it's more than passable, it tends to become one of my favorites (especially with garments...)

Hope you're doing good on yours.

Wow! You're doing well. I haven't worked on mine in about a week. I had a few birthday gifts and the charity weekend. I'm on vacation starting tomorrow until after Labor Day so I hope to get it finished that week.

The one thing about the other tunic, I made the ties WAY too long and so I have a tendency of wrapping it around and tying it in front, which if not done with care can make it look a bit weird, but truly, it's one of my favorite crocheted garments to wear.

I ended up taking a bit of a nap since I wrote last and haven't finished that second armhole yet, but it will be done and the rest of the edging at least started before I go to bed tonight. I want to believe that the rest of the garment will go much faster after doing the edging on this vest part.

I think the rest will go quicker. Even the border for the sleeves and bottom seem like it would go quicker than the top.

I'm still on the border for the front. I'm not leaving it open on the side though. Seems silly to me to do it that way. I've made some adjustments throughout on this pattern. Hopefully it won't be a mess at the end. :lol

I think the rest will go quicker. Even the border for the sleeves and bottom seem like it would go quicker than the top.

I'm still on the border for the front. I'm not leaving it open on the side though. Seems silly to me to do it that way. I've made some adjustments throughout on this pattern. Hopefully it won't be a mess at the end. :lol

Neither am I...who knows, we might regret not doing so, but I agree with you...I was reading that and going...what? Why? I don't think it's necessary considering that there's that piece in the opening of the vest that you can adjust the size with lacing, you know? seems to me that you could make that little piece bigger or smaller to fit your sizing needs...and the skirt part...I mean, I'm presuming here that you're going to pull this garment on over your head right? so why have a weird opening like what is called for in the pattern...again, one of those things I wished I could get inside the designer's head.

Yeah, totally agree with the rest of the edging...it's more of a shell pattern rather than clusters (and while I like cluster work, it sometimes can be time consuming and tedious...)

I'm excited...so glad you started to CAL.

Archived