granny square

mdkb901

Question

hi i am new to crochet i am working on a blanket but i want to try new things so i want to try to make a granny square and i am having problems with it can any one help me

thank you from Melissa

this is a picture of what i have started so far

post-28493-135897426535_thumb.jpg

Hi Melissa, let us know what kind of help you need. :crocheting

Do you have a granny square pattern you are using? if so let us know what it is; if it's a free online pattern you can link to it, otherwise give us the name and someone will probably have the book or leaflet to refer to.

if you don't have a pattern yet we can make suggestions for patterns you might want to try.

Don’t forget about your local library, it is a great source for “How To” and also for inspiration. Many, maybe even most, also have CD’s & and Video Tapes you can check out, and best of all, they’re free. I’m pretty sure if you told us which stitch, or process you’re having trouble with, help will be available

John Hablinski, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

You can join in any corner, but do go into the space, not into the stitch. so your colored arrow is correct, and your black arrow is not, if I am looking at your pic correctly.

Now that I'm looking at that picture this way, I agree with the above statement. I was looking at it like both were pointing to the space before.

I think what we're all getting at is that there are TONS of granny square patterns (crochet enabler here :D) from basic to...well, anything you can think of. It looks like you're stuck at the beginning of Row 2, which the tutorial should explain.

Granny squares are a LOT of fun to work with, even the basic ones.

I am new to crocheting I have only made one baby blanket and I am trying to make an afghan. It is in the book Bernat Satin Simple Style 4 rich and cozy afghans for your home the number at the top right hand corner is 542046. I would like to do the #4 Traditional Granny Afghan it is shown on the back cover. I am having trouble understanding the pattern. I can do the first round. I start to run into trouble where it says Join with sl st in top of ch 3. I know that you are joing with a slip stitch, I am not sure what "in top of ch3" means.

Then I don't understand Round 2. This is what it says:

Sl st in each of next 2dc and ch-2 sp. Ch 3(counts as dc). (2dc. ch2. 3dc) in same sp as last sl st. [Ch 1.(3dc. ch2. 3dc)in next ch-2 sp] 3 times. Ch1 Join with sl st to top of ch3.

Thanks in advance for any help. I think (hope) that once I can get round 2 I will be able to continue with the rest.

Debbie

I am new to crocheting I have only made one baby blanket and I am trying to make an afghan. It is in the book Bernat Satin Simple Style 4 rich and cozy afghans for your home the number at the top right hand corner is 542046. I would like to do the #4 Traditional Granny Afghan it is shown on the back cover. I am having trouble understanding the pattern. I can do the first round. I start to run into trouble where it says Join with sl st in top of ch 3. I know that you are joing with a slip stitch, I am not sure what "in top of ch3" means.

Then I don't understand Round 2. This is what it says:

Sl st in each of next 2dc and ch-2 sp. Ch 3(counts as dc). (2dc. ch2. 3dc) in same sp as last sl st. [Ch 1.(3dc. ch2. 3dc)in next ch-2 sp] 3 times. Ch1 Join with sl st to top of ch3.

Thanks in advance for any help. I think (hope) that once I can get round 2 I will be able to continue with the rest.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, and welcome to the Ville:hook when you started the round you did a chain 3, which counts as a double crochet stitch. you will make a slip stitch in the top of the chain3. "sl st in top of ch3" means slip stitch in top of chain 3.

Take a look at some of the tutorials and see if that helps.

Do you understand all of the abbreviations? here is a list of common ones http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99545

this is a picture of what i have started so far

Melissa, it looks like you are on the right track. It looks like your finger is on a chain space, is that right? I can't really see if you have other chain spaces; you should have 4 of them evenly spaced around the ring. you need to make a chain to connect the first and last stitches, that would be the 4th and final chain space for round 1.

I don't have the Vogue book, sorry!

did any of the online tutorials help you at all?

Thank you for the help and the link to the video, it was very helpful, I made a couple of granny squares last night:yay. One of the patterns I have says to Join colour 1 with a sl st in any ch-3 sp. I read that as you join it where the space is I have used a colour arrow to show this. Am I correct in this or should I join it with a slip stitch in a stitch as shown with the black arrow where you would have the two pieces of thead on your hook.

Thanks for all of your help

Debbie

post-30432-135897427053_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the help and the link to the video, it was very helpful, I made a couple of granny squares last night:yay. One of the patterns I have says to Join colour 1 with a sl st in any ch-3 sp. I read that as you join it where the space is I have used a colour arrow to show this. Am I correct in this or should I join it with a slip stitch in a stitch as shown with the black arrow where you would have the two pieces of thead on your hook.

Thanks for all of your help

Debbie

Any chain 3 space is fine...so both arrows show an appropriate place to join the color.

Archived