granny square

mdkb901

Question

hi i am new to crochet i am working on a blanket but i want to try new things so i want to try to make a granny square and i am having problems with it can any one help me

thank you from Melissa

this is a picture of what i have started so far

post-28493-135897426535_thumb.jpg

Listen to darski about weaving in ends. It gets to be a nightmare if you let it go. It seems to take as long to weave ends as it does to crochet the thing to begin with. :hook

How do you recommend joining granny squares and do you join them together as you're crocheting them, or do you wait until you have completed all of the granny squares in your pattern and then join them.

Thanks

How do you recommend joining granny squares and do you join them together as you're crocheting them, or do you wait until you have completed all of the granny squares in your pattern and then join them.

Thanks

You can do it either as you go, or finish each one then sew or crochet them together.

You'll get a lot of responses as there are a lot of favorites. CrochetCabana has a good overview of methods http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/joining_squares.htm

My personal favorite is flat braid by Priscilla Hewitt, find the pdf here http://www.priscillascrochet.net/freepatterns.html under edgings and joinings. I like the corner method by Chris Simon http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/hmb_corner_details.html

I don't know what you don't understand, but try this:

Ch 5, join with a sl st in first ch made. This will form a ring or circle. You will be working the next round directly into the center hole of this circle.

Rnd 1: Ch 3 (this will count as the first dc of your rnd).

Work 2 dc into the center hole of the circle.

Ch 3, work 3 dc in the center hole of the circle. This firms your first corner.

Ch 1 (this starts your first side).

Work 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1 in the center of the circle. This forms your second corner and second side.

Work 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1 in the center of the circle. This forms your third corner and

third side.

Work 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, ch 1 in the center of the circle This forms your fourth corner and fourth side.

Now insert your hook in the top ch of the ch-3 that started the round, YO and draw through the lp on the hook. You have now joined the rnd with a sl st.

Now work a sl st into each of the next 2 dc and into the ch-3 sp of the previous rnd.

Now you are in the center (ch-3 sp) of the first corner, and will work another corner.

Ch 3, in the center of the first corner work (2 dc, ch 3, 3 dc): first corner formed;

ch 1, in the next ch-1 sp work 3 dc; ch 1;

*In the next corner ch-3 sp work (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc), ch 1, work 3 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1; repeat from * two more times; join with a sl st in the top ch of the beg ch-3.

This should give you the idea. From now on you work corners just as you did in this rnd; for side, ch 1, work 3 dc in each ch-1 sp, ch 1. Continue in this manner.

It can be rather difficult at the beginning to understand working that first rnd into the

center of the circle.

Jean Leinhauser

If you aren't understanding the tutorials we've shown you, try a video tutorial on you tube. Or you can try asking someone in person...at your local yarn store. Sometimes craft stores (Michael's or Joann's) will have classes.

I don't know that there is much else we can do here to help you. I think about every tutorial and website has been provided. In person is probably you're best bet! Good luck and let us know if you have a specific question.

One final word of caution about many-coloured squares... Weave in those ends as soon as you make them. You don't want to do all that at the end ... trust me on this one :rofl

I assume you mean round 2 of the rectangular granny. If you are changing colors where you ended in round 1 with skip 1ch one double in last chain that space there is where you attach the new yarn then you start round 2 with ch3, 2dc, ch-1 in same space, then where they say 3dc, ch-1, 3dc, ch-1 inside dc loop you are just doing that right in that same space so it will cover around the corner. Look at photo 2 and you will see this. Follow the photos along and it will really help.

If you are not changing colors there then after you do the skip 1ch, 1dc in last chain in round one I just did the chain 3 and then started round 2. Once you get going you just keep going around and around just like a square granny until you get it as big as you want like this. Mary

post-7272-135897432302_thumb.jpg

When you start the square you chain 4 and join, then chain 3 and double crochet 2 into the circle, chain 1 then double crochet 3 in circle and chain one, double crochet 3 chain 1, double crochet 3 chain 1, join. There should be 4 groups of three in a circle. Does this help? Is this how your pattern starts?

Sure! That's what my first afghan was--one giant granny square made out of variegated blue yarn. (Yes, I still have it after...oh goodness, 35 years.) Just keep going until you get tired of it/run out of yarn.

You can make a blanket out of many granny squares, many *kinds* of granny squares (those are really pretty--look at some of the comfortghans) the same thing in different colors...it's all good. By the way, once you're more confident, making a sampler with one square of a lot of different patterns is a great way to practice new things without getting bored.

if any on that has done granny squares for a very long time please i still am having a problem to get started to do a granny square

May I suggest you try to find someone in your area who crochets? You sound like you need someone right there with you to show you how to make granny squares. I can relate 'cause I do better watching and hooking along with someone when learning something new (plus the fact I'm a lefty and a lot of the patterns and stitches are geared for rightys :hook). Start with a local yarn shop...see if the shopowner is a crocheter herself/himself or knows of someone who is. Or even better...see if any craft stores in your area (ex. Joanne) has classes for beginning crocheters.

Don't feel bad. I have been crocheting for about 30 yrs and granny squares are the hardest thing to me. Everyone always say they are easy but I think they are difficult, never knew how to join rounds.

When I learned in class she used this basic pattern and it works up nice and easy. Where exactly are you having trouble? Do you know how to join to make a ring to start or is it after that? If you are using a free pattern post the link or if it's in a book post what book and pattern and someone may have it. Unless I can see the actual instructions it's hard for me to help. Mary

Archived