Why is it that i can't crochet hats?!

pixi

Question

:think i simply suck at them or start them off good then they just get into a mess grr grrr grrr

does anyone else have problems like this

13 answers to this question

I have been crocheting nonstop for more than five years and I've never made a hat. :eek

So I can't help.

Some day...I keep saying that!...I'm going to attempt a hat pattern, and it'll probably be one of Dot's. :hook

I am not the afghan/hat/scarf type crocheter, I guess you could say.

that i can't crochet hats?!:think i simply suck at them or start them off good then they just get into a mess grr grrr grrr

does anyone else have problems like this

Try Dot's patterns, XO is my favourite. Try Etaria's Thick and Warm Hat pattern if you like doing post stitches, try the Basic Hat Pattern in Original patterns.

I suck at hats, those worked out.

Well, I make tons of hats. Have you tried this rule of thumb: however many stitches you start with that's how many stitches you add per round. So, if you start with 8, you add 8 each round. Second round you do 2 stitches in each stitch, third round you do 2 stitches in every other stitch, fourth round 2 stitches in every 3 stitch, fifth round 2 stitches in every 4 stitch, etc. Do that until the hat is around 5 1/2" to 6" for a woman's head. Then stop adding and just work even. It's easier to not join at the end of rounds, but if you're doing a pattern, or changing colors, I think it looks better if you do join rounds.

I didn't use to make hats, but lately I've been on a hat kick and have made dozens of them. I know lots of people have trouble with them, so I created a tutorial.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/in-the-round-hats.htm

If you're uncomfortable with working in rounds, the first part of the tutorial addresses that.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/in-the-round.htm

I don't use markers unless I'm making a spiral. Not all hats are made in spiral, which is continuous without chaining up for height. I don't make those because, as everyone has said, it's a pain to move the marker and all that.

Hope that helps.

I don't use stitch markers for hats, either. I can see where the height of the stitches changes, so I rely on that. Also, I see where my yarn end is and that helps, too.

I also usually work hats in a spiral unless I'm doing stripes or another pattern.

As someone else already mentioned, increasing by the same number of stitches in the first round is pretty standard to make the flat circle.

So if I put 12 stitches in my first round, then in each round afterwards I increase by 12 until I get to the size of the circle that I want. This means that on the second round, I do one stitch in the first st, then two st in the next st, one st in the next st, two st in the next st, until I come to the end. The third round, I do one st in the first st, one st in the next st, two st in the third st, one st in the fourth st, one st in the fifth st, two st in the sixth st, etc. I continue in that manner until I get the flat circle the size I want it, and then I stop increasing and just work even in the round.

Have you seen Andrew Burton's crocheting in rounds tutorial?

My problem is that all my hats come out huge. I can't quite figure it out, because I have tried using exactly the right yarns, checking gauge, measuring the crown size, and every other trick in the book. I've decided it's because I myself have a pumpkin head (I like to think it's necessary to accommodate my giant brain). On the plus side, my hats are gorgeous and they all fit ME! I have so many gorgeous hats now!

My problem is that all my hats come out huge. I can't quite figure it out, because I have tried using exactly the right yarns, checking gauge, measuring the crown size, and every other trick in the book.

Try using a smaller hook and thinner yarn. :-) Don't worry about not following the pattern exactly. Of course, if you are making it for yourself anyway, it's working out just fine then, isn't it? hee hee

You might also try stopping the "increase" round a round earlier.

I have been crocheting for a long time and just started doing hats. I tend to crochet looser (depending on the pattern and stitch) so I am always changing hook size and checking gauge on whatever I am doing. To me, it seems that the hats I have done,are larger also, and I try them on. Then sometimes they seem smaller and I have to add rows, depending on the pattern. But then I think, people have different size heads and since I donate them to charity, I am sure they are going to fit.

LI Roe

But then I think, people have different size heads and since I donate them to charity, I am sure they are going to fit. LI Roe

Yep, that's true. I have a small head and when I use an H hook they fit me fine. But my sister tried on one of the hats I made and it was way tight for her. So now I try to make them different sizes to fit different heads. If you are making chemo hats, remember that the person has lost their hair. Hair fills up some of the space on our heads, so they would need a smaller hat than they normally would wear at that time. Even so, heads are still different sizes, hair or not.

My problem is that all my hats come out huge. I can't quite figure it out, because I have tried using exactly the right yarns, checking gauge, measuring the crown size, and every other trick in the book. I've decided it's because I myself have a pumpkin head (I like to think it's necessary to accommodate my giant brain). On the plus side, my hats are gorgeous and they all fit ME! I have so many gorgeous hats now!

Smaller hook as was mentioned or -- chances are that you're increasing too much for the initial flat circle part. Make it smaller -- try fewer increase rounds before you switch to stitching even... see if that works.

Archived