A newbie

TXyarnelf

Hello there!

It's so exciting to find a site like Crochetville where you can meet others who share your interest in crochet.

I am 60 years old, married 40 years to a wonderful man, mother of three and grandma to three. Started crocheting way back when, but put it away a number of times through the years. Last summer, I realized that I needed something to do while sitting in the hospital with my daughter who was fighting cancer. Crocheting was perfect. It not only kept my fingers busy, but it kept my mind occupied with something other than worry. Although I was able to complete several afghans, ponchos, and hats through that time, my daughter lost her battler with cancer last month.

My current project is a baby blanket for my son's friends who are expecting a little girl in September. After that, I hope to use up my spare yarn making caps for the homeless or lapghans for wheelchair patients.

In the future, I'd like to learn to do dollies and tableclothes like my grandmother and mother-in-law used to do. Working with that fine thread has always scared me. Maybe, I'll get brave and give it a try some time.

I am happy to be a Crochetville member.

TXyarnelf

Welcome. I too am relatively new to this forum, although I have been crocheting some 40 years also. I mostly do thread (I collect old crochet books..i.e. prior to 1920) and love doing the old patterns with the fine thread. Over the years I have done "to many to count" baby blankets as gifts.

Welcome!

Hi and :welcome from my little corner of Northeast Ohio! Glad you decided to join us. You'll :heart this forum! I hope that your charity crocheting will bring with it some amount of consolation for the loss of your daughter.

Hi Saundra! :hi Welcome to Crochetville!! :welcome Thanks for sharing your story, even if its sad it makes me think so much about life and how to live it... :2hug

Its good to have you here! We are a bunch of crocheters of any age, shape and size, who love to hang around here on our spare time. :ghug

Hi and welcome. I'm new here too but am catching on. May I offer my sympathy, my mum was lucky enough to pull through 5 years ago.

That fine thread doesn't just scare me, it makes the hairs rise on the back of my neck! I'm sure you'll achieve your aim though, and some of your work will be there to inspire your grandchildren, as your grandma inspired you.

Alison

Hello, TXyarnelf, from AZ. My sympathies on the loss of your daughter--cancer is an enemy my family knows too well, too. Crocheting is such a comfort to us as crocheters, and the lapghans and caps will be a great comfort to others. We're all pleased to have another person with a lot of experience on here to help us newbies out. I hope you can post some photos of your work. Patty

Archived