SSK makes no sense to me - Help please

SmoothFox

The abbreviation is the SSK and here is what it says is how to do it.

SSK - slip 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit those 2 stitches together

How can you knit them together if they are already slipped onto the right hand needle?

I'm trying to do the pattern listed in the advanced knitters list and I thought when I read the pattern that SSK would be simple. ARggggggg

Donna

you slide the sliped stitches back onto the left needle then knit them together through the back.

A short cut my lys owner taught me that does the same thing:

just knit the two together through the back.

Just slip a stich as to knit then slip another , put the point of the left needle though the two stitches in the front loops of the 2 slipped stitches on the right needle and finish knitting it.

Goldkeeper gave you the link to the video I was thinking of. Glad that helped. When I first encountered this stitch I was thinking: why slip 2 then knit together from the other side? Wouldn't knitting 2 together on the other needle be easier? :think But obviously it makes a difference. I haven't gotten this stitch down yet so I've been avoiding patterns with it. :lol One day there'll be something I really want to make and I'll practice until I get it right. :knit

Goldkeeper gave you the link to the video I was thinking of. Glad that helped. When I first encountered this stitch I was thinking: why slip 2 then knit together from the other side? Wouldn't knitting 2 together on the other needle be easier? :think But obviously it makes a difference. I haven't gotten this stitch down yet so I've been avoiding patterns with it. :lol One day there'll be something I really want to make and I'll practice until I get it right. :knit
It makes the stiches slant in different directions.. If you go here you can see how the different decreases look.

Personally, I always use k2tog TBL for those stitches. I want to get the effect with the fewest steps and I like the look of the TBL stitch.

I believe it was according to an Elizabeth Zimmermann book that I read her saying that k2tog TBL actually twists the stitches. She recommended the SSK for what she felt was the closest 'match' with the opposite slant for decreasing to the K2tog. I changed according to her recommendation.

SSK is really easy once you realize what it wants you to do. There are lots of knitting resources available online and you can often YouTube techniques to see how others do it. :)

Archived