A different type of Yarn storage

I have been thinking about trying a different storage idea for my seasonal yarn -- Christmas Yarn -- that I usually only work with around Sept. or Oct. when I get in the holiday spirit.

I was wondering how SpaceBags would work in storing yarn that you don't need to get into very often.

https://www.spacebag.com/spacebag

Has anyone here tried them for yarn storage?

I use them for all my yarn. I live in India and there is a lot of dust everywhere, all the time and these work really well to protect the yarn. They squish down the yarn with a vacuum and then are right back to normal after months in storage.

I've got a very fluffy queen size comforter in one and it's great. Fair warning though. The plastic tends to give the stored items a funky smell.

Could you put a dryer sheet it one of those bags or would it do something to the yarn?:think

Space bags work well for certain kinds of yarn. Squishy yarns with lots of air in them like fun fur, boa, etc will shrink up a lot. Hard-packed skeins like say Caron Pounders or Red Heart Super Savers didn't shrink at all for me, so I found it pointless to put them into space bags due to the cost.

I haven't tried space bags yet, but I keep almost all of my yarn in Hefty 2.5 gallon zip top bags. They're big enough to hold a couple of full size skeins, even the larger ones like the big super saver skeins. I also push as much air out of them as I can when I close them so they take up less space. They're really cheap too. I get them at Wal-Mart.

I haven't tried space bags yet, but I keep almost all of my yarn in Hefty 2.5 gallon zip top bags. They're big enough to hold a couple of full size skeins, even the larger ones like the big super saver skeins. I also push as much air out of them as I can when I close them so they take up less space. They're really cheap too. I get them at Wal-Mart.

Reading this reminded me that Hefty/Ziplock/or Glad makes a really big one. Maybe I'll give that a try first! Thanks!

Reading this reminded me that Hefty/Ziplock/or Glad makes a really big one. Maybe I'll give that a try first! Thanks!

I love them. They come 12 to the box for around $2.50 a box. I found them on the grocery side where the regular sized sandwich and freezer bags are, but at the very bottom of the shelf. Good luck with them!

I like the zip top bags too. I can usually find them at the dollar store. I have used the space saver bags for storing them. I usually wrap the item in tissue paper, pop a dryer sheet or two in and thes seems to keep them from yellowing and getting a funky smell. I open the bags every so often and leave them breathe for a day or two. Fiber needs to breathe.

I tried using them but it was pointless because I had to open them so often. The plastic does leave a smell and like alot of people I had at least three bags never work right. Overall they are fine for long term storage but not for something you are using alot.

I use the jumbo Ziploc bags and after sealing it about halfway or more, I throw myself on the bag to squish as much air out of the bag as possible and then quickly seal it up all the way! I have also thrown in a half sheet of fabric softener for a fresh scent.

Archived