Babette Afghan?

Has anyone made the babette afghan yet? It is from 2006? issue of Interweave Crochet. It looks like it would be a great way to use up leftover yarn. It might be kind of fun. Some of the examples on flicker are kind of wavy and "bunches". It appears to be a dc granny square that you just adjust the amount of rows you do.

Just wondering about using up the Simply Soft yarn I have left over.....

Debbie

uwcheese

Debbie, I am making something similar one of these days. I'm saving up different sizes of friendship squares people have sent me, and some day I will lay them out on the table and work different size squares as needed to put it all together. It will have an obviously unplanned look to it; but I've also see beautiful Babettes with planned color schemes so the choice is yours.

Look for the "Groove Along" CAL, I believe there are some Babettes there.

Also a lot of pretty ones on Ravelry. I'd love to do one but know I would never be up to weaving in all those ends. I sure do love to look at them , though. :cheer

Thanks for the feedback. I searched for it online and it came up with a granny square along group that is making them. They have an entire album that you can view as a slide show.After watching it a few times, it looks like the afghans that lay the flatest are the ones where the squares are exactly 1/2 or 1/4 of the biggest squares. So, they must use those as a gauge and so if the biggest squares are 12 X 12, then the smallest squares must be 2 or 3 inches so that they can be lined up together to make 12".

NOt sure, but think I am going to try it.

Thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

Here's the link for the Groove Along CAL...http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67614

there is alot of helpful info on there. Most of us used a solid style granny pattern.

There's a whole Ravelry group devoted to the Babette, as well as a Flickr group. I tried to start one myself but found it too time consuming for a short-attention span crocheter lol.

I think some of the problems with the puckering is that the design doesn't fit the squares eactly. Some on the CAL here had problems with the panels fitting (you did panels and put those together or at least sew the squares working around the main square). If you do your own design you might have better luck. I think mine will pucker, but I won't care. I love it.

I didn't end up making the entire afghan as mine was big enough, so I have some 4 round solid granny squares left and decided to do those as a scrap yarn afghan with black around them.

Debbi

Thanks for the feedback. I searched for it online and it came up with a granny square along group that is making them. They have an entire album that you can view as a slide show.After watching it a few times, it looks like the afghans that lay the flatest are the ones where the squares are exactly 1/2 or 1/4 of the biggest squares. So, they must use those as a gauge and so if the biggest squares are 12 X 12, then the smallest squares must be 2 or 3 inches so that they can be lined up together to make 12".

NOt sure, but think I am going to try it.

Thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

I've tried Babette three times, to no avail. I started from the center (12x12 square first) and worked my way out, Section 1, Section 2, 3, etc...

I was weaving ends in as I went along. I could never get Section 3 to line up to Sections 1 & 2 (I was connecting as I went along as well).

After the 3rd attempt, I gave up. My gauge was correct, I believe my tension was consistent. I'm not a newbie crocheter. I could not wrap my brain around making all the squares and THEN connecting them (that would drive me nuts).

Maybe later in life when I have more patience, I'll attempt Babette again, but for now...it was a great stash BUILDER! LOL!!!

I think some of the problems with the puckering is that the design doesn't fit the squares eactly. Some on the CAL here had problems with the panels fitting (you did panels and put those together or at least sew the squares working around the main square).

Well it's nice to know it wasn't just me.

In Crochet Today this month they have something sort of similar that I am trying to stashbust with in between my other projects. I think it is called a Fireside throw and I love how it looks so far. I have mixed my yarns (both in brand and weight) and it seems to work out ok. I do think the Babette is pretty but I don't know how different it is from what I am doing. Mine is very easy to do as I don't work on it constantly but it does have a lot of weaving in, which sucks.

• 1 month later...

I had never heard of the Babette afghan till today, though I have made them and I am making one right now using baby colors. And I am not keep the same square design on this one. Kind of funny, I have been making them all these years and never knew. Works for me.

I started a babette this week. after reading this thread, now i'm worried how it will all go together.

i have a question though....do i really need to block the squares?

If you are worried, when you get to a part that doesn't quite fit, see if you can make it so you can maybe put 2 round squares there, usually there is less room then what the pattern calls for, you stretch teh squares, but instead of stretching the square to fit, you could add some 2 round squares. Or even make it your own and put 1 round squares there. I changed mine at the end with what squares went wear (although not the part where I stretched it a bit). So you have to see how much you'd have to stretch it. Other then that one part (I think panel 6, check the Groove-Along Cal with some tips and helps on this afghan), it should come together fine.

I never block afghan squares. But that will be up to you. If you can lay them flat enough, you should be fine.

Debbi

so far all my squares are coming out the same size. ive been browsing on Flickr for pictures. some of the babette's look like the squares are perfectly squared on the ends and others don't. what is the purpose of blocking anyway? i've never done it before either. they all lay good and flat. the perfectionist in me probably wont be happy unless i do block them but the other part of me says geez..enough is enough!

I have made two of them. They are very time consuming to put together since they consist of over 100 squares but I love them. They are at my Ravelry site. I made them for my children.

eta--I did not block the squares.

Archived